The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Use By Date

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/11/2009 : 15:50:35
This is going to sound really silly but does vermiculite have a "Use By" date?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kizzig Posted - 19/11/2009 : 08:02:34
Thanks for your kind words guys. It's awful not being able to do anything, but unfortunately these things happen... He's had a good long life

Think we'll definately have another one sometime, they are lovely creatures (Coming from an ex arachnophobic!)
Kellog Posted - 19/11/2009 : 05:20:59
Kizzig - I know nothing about spiders but am so sorry to hear about your old man...it must be so hard not being able to do anything and knowing that it will just be a matter of time...

I really feel for you.

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 19:57:08
awww that's such a shame! what a tough lil man!
and you're welcome! at least he has a caring home :)
poor little man, and 2 and a half years is amazing! a good mum!
xxx
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 19:22:18
I am really sorry that nothing can be done for your little guy, Kizzig. He has done amazingly well to live two and a half years past his final shed, he is clearly a fighter!

It really is rare for a post ultimate shed as you put it, it never happened with any of my males, although i only had a small number of them.
kizzig Posted - 18/11/2009 : 19:16:07
quote:
Originally posted by MissyBats

here's a link:
http://giantspiders.com/ailments.html
2nd section on the page has similar
:(
xxx

Thanks for the link MissyBats. Had a good read and unfortunately think it's just due to his old age... He had his Ultimate moult around 2 1/2 years ago so he's done rather well!

We've read somewhere that a post ultimate moult is rather rare, and usually leaves the spider either deformed, with missing appendages or commonly death...

Done so many hours of reading and chatting to people the last couple of months since he started showing signs of old age. Unfortunately we think it's a waiting game now...

Thanks for your help! We're just going to try and keep him comfortable now.

He'll always be "Daisy" to us! (Sorry mate! )
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 19:12:26
yeah they are :) they all have their own tarantuality lol
and they are very rewarding, you just don't know what it's like to own and care so much for one till you do :)
x
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:56:56
Shuddit you! :P

They are great creatures really.
hillzi Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:45:53
Tarantula's..

wierd people.
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:33:15
Yeah, baboons are on another level aggression and speed wise. Well worth having though. And you are very lucky to have a docile Pokie, mine all wanted to kill me, especially my Striata.

I also said she for all of mine, just as i do for my unsexed snakes. It was more wishful thinking than anything else i think.

I bet the threat from the big bad inch long spider put the fear of god into you! You were so close to losing your life! :P

I am certainly going to have to have a look on TSS or VC's site at some point, i just need to work out which species will be on my must haves list again! I think i will probably limit it to 10 at the most this time as i really do want to focus on snakes for the time being.

Yes, i did have a Metallica. It was a little lucky that i found it to be honest. It was the last Pokie i bought from the list above so clearly i knew quite a lot about them, although i am glad that the shop i bought it from did not. It was a reptile/exotics shop that was just starting to get spiders into stock, they had it in a terrestrial setup with substrate designed for a burrowing spider. On the sign next to the enclosure it was listed as an 'ornamental blue' and was i think priced at £15. It was just a juvenile when i picked it up and i am sure you can understand why i did!

It was probably the most beautiful spider i ever owned and it would be the first spider i would put back on my must have list.
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:31:22
I think I forgot my big bend gold as well lol
I'm so bad! my poor babies! lol
x
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:13:44
you had a metallica!!!!
Omg they are so badly sought after!!!
only just read that after I re read your list!! lol
xxx
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:12:11
awwww I'd love to have a babboon just to experience it, but I'm not 100% confident with my pokie, even though she is quite docile and prefers to hide away and has not once tried to charge and attack me, but that day could come, so I remain cautious! lol
yeah my T.Ockerti just moulted again :) she's about an inch big now! hahaha
I say she for all of them! lol
she reared up in a threat display before her shed, about 3weeks ago! I was well impressed with her! my first threat display and not from a pokie! hahaha
yeah I love my baby A.Chalcodes, she's very very sweet, a little skittish at times (and she is a she from ventrical sexing so 95% a she lol) she's a juvie and they are so slow growing and have very long life spans! they can take 10 years to mature from spiderling! so I know that she will be one I enjoy for many years as the females can live 20+ years :D
they have sling T.Ockerti's for sale at TSS :)
where I got mine from! it was 2-3 cm when I got it :)
I do love my pink toe, I can rub her back legs and she loves it :)
and my giant white knee was the first sling I got and she's doing so well!!! :D fast growers! lol
I can go on about spiders all day :) lol!
and yeah, we kinda hijacked the thread! lol
xxx
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 17:32:44
I am not sure what to suggest to you Kizzig, it is fortunately not something i have experience of.
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 17:31:05
You see, i am really not a fan of Avicularia Versicolor so i can't see the fascination with them... as i said previously i am not a fan of any Avicularia really. I am not sure why but they just never appealed to me.

Out of your list i am particularly envious of your Thrixopelma Ockerti and Aphonopelma Chalcodes.

My list was this... from what i remember. I have probably missed one or two!

Poecilotheria - Metallica, Striata, Regalis, Rufilata, Fasciata.

Cyclosternum Fasciatum, Psalmopoeus Cambridgei, Brachypelma Smithi, Lasiodora Klugi, Nhandu Chromatus, Nhandu Carapoensis, Ephebopus Rufescens, Heteroscodra Maculata, Stromatopelma Calceata.

As you can see, i liked my pokies! And a couple of baboons in there... viscious bloody things!
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 17:13:09
here's a link:
http://giantspiders.com/ailments.html
2nd section on the page has similar
:(
xxx
kizzig Posted - 18/11/2009 : 17:04:36
We have a Grammostola Rosea, who unfortunately has turned out to be male...
He's trying to have a post ultimate moult at the moment... It's not looking very good, he's had a lot of complications and we can't seem to get any advice on how to make him more comfortable...

We're both really gutted that he's a he because of the huge difference in the lifespans. He'll be at least 3 1/2 years old as we've had him for 3 years.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep him comfortable during his last days? All breeders etc have told us to just leave him be, but he's been flipped on his back for two weeks now and has only shed his abdomen...

Sorry for the thread hi-jack! Any advice would be greatly appreciated
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 16:51:51
I have aciv.avic as well as Avic.Aurantica lol that is the yellow banded pink toe, which noone seems to have they sell perus and amazons on TSS at the mo! lol versis seem to be highly sought after and well expensive! lol
I have Aphonopelma sp Blue, a giant white knee, T.Ockerti,, Grammostoia Palcheripes, Lasiodora Parahybana, Brachypelma Vagans, Paslmopoeus Irminia, B. Verdezi, Ephebopus murinus, B.albospilosum and Aphonopelma Chalcodes, as well as he 2 cyclosternum fasciatum and the 2 diff types of pink toe
x
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 16:47:05
How very kind of you, Allison!

As for why we were sorry each other had a male, it is because once a male tarantula has the shed that takes it to its full mature size it only has about a year or so to live before it dies. Females continue to live and shed even when they are of their mature size and will therefore live far longer than males.
n/a Posted - 18/11/2009 : 12:54:51
Bio, your spiders were creepy! Please don't get more!

Why are you both so sorry that each other had male spiders anyway?!
n/a Posted - 16/11/2009 : 23:58:50
I haven't seen that although i can fully imagine the problems he would have!

To be honest i would only ever handle one of the Grammostola or Brachypelma species (off the top of my head, their may be other similarly tolerant new world species that i forget though), the rest are a little too unpredictable, especially old world species.

Grammostola Aureostriata are gorgeous by the way, i am also sorry to hear that yours turned out to be male. I suppose it can happen to anybody, just a risk you take when raising from a sling.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000