The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 i had samonella

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 12:37:40
Thats what i had and still got ...So i was told by some little half pint who was probably 10 years younger then me.....However he came in to my house saying that i probably got it from the takeaway ...That was till he saw the vivariums then it was a totally different thing ..Oh no you didnt get it from the food it was your snakes...Hmmm i disagree funny how it happend after a curry....So he goes on about how snakes carry samonella and how hygene is important blah blah....Then he goes to me you should concider getting rid of your snakes as next time could be worse then goes on to tell me how he hates snakes and how he was bit and cant see the point of keeping them ...so i got aggie out and he shot out the door so quick he didnt even say goodbye .......get rid of my snakes....I DONT THINK SO....
So now iam gonna give you all a run down of my hygene when dealing with the snakes and then you can tell me what you think .
Feeding time i wash my hand with soap and water then i use a hand gel from my vets which is called ark Klens then i put on gloves then get the mice out the freezer put them into the bags defrost and give them to each snake put the snakes back in there vivs then take gloves off throw them away wash my hands again then use the gel again.
When cleaning the vivariums i do the same routine as above and i use ark klens ready to use 3 in 1 vetinary cleaner to cleane the vivs yet again brought from the vets i wash all bowls and hides this is done once a month with out fail.I also was my hands the same way with soap and water and the hand gel when i handle the snakes and after ...Can anyone see where iam going wrong....This guy really annoyed me this morning....sorry for the long post.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 23/10/2009 : 10:56:22
Dont get me wrong sb i agree with you ..coughs cold ect ....but am not gonna risk samonella on kids thats why am so vigorous with the snake hygene
SexyBear77 Posted - 23/10/2009 : 10:03:12
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

I agree, you definitely have to be more careful when it's someone elses kiddies (esp when they're just babies...6 weeks is sooo ickle you just wanna smoosh them!). I'm far more safety concious when the girls have friends over. I'd be mortified if I damaged someone elses child in some way.

My own?....well that's a different story

See, I think differently, kids are too "bubble wrapped" against things nowadays and I truly believe it is worse for them then getting exposed to a few germs.

Asthma is more common now than it ever was and its been proved that its all down to too much cleaning, and not enough exposure to dust etc.

By keeping kids and their surroundings really clean they aren't given a chance to build up a defence to things, and so when they do get poorly its hits them ten times harder.
n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 23:19:30
I agree, you definitely have to be more careful when it's someone elses kiddies (esp when they're just babies...6 weeks is sooo ickle you just wanna smoosh them!). I'm far more safety concious when the girls have friends over. I'd be mortified if I damaged someone elses child in some way.

My own?....well that's a different story
n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 13:17:30
ur not flippant bb ....ur all making me laugh actually, It may seem overboard when cleaning and that but i have my nieces and nephews round alot and they range from 6 weeks and over ...and as i see it ..its better to be safe then sorry
n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 12:00:34
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

(A kettle and a jar of coffee can be placed in the living room for those who insist on the three main food groups: coffee, cigarettes, more coffee.)

The above items are essential and should be within easy reach at all times. Failure to comply leads to me turning into a smaller (and less green version) of the Incredible Hulk, with a headache from caffine withdrawal .

Sexybear I agree with you 100%, my mother was a big one for not having us "grow up in bubbles" as she put it. The 10 second rule was probably more like 20 when I was growing up! We'd come in from the ponies or the goats, eat a sarnie and go back out to play. I'm pretty much the same with my kids (which is good because my tribe are animals and I have to wrestle them to get them in the bath) and everyone of them is sickeningly healthy!!

Tilly, there's nothing worse than a Dr who latches onto a diagnosis and won't look past it. All the more frustrating when they look like they are still young enough to have a bed time. You sound like you have a far more involved cleaning routine than I do (carex soap and a bit of a rinse) so I'm with you....dodgy curry for sure.

But isn't that the joy of take-away curry? The air of danger and the feeling like you're playing Russian Roulette with your tummy?

EDITED to say Please don't think I'm being flippant about your Salmonella. I'm really sorry you've been poorly and hope you get better soon
Kellog Posted - 22/10/2009 : 11:52:49
I know mums who have 'chicken pox' parties with their pre-school kids so they can catch it and get immune to it before they go to school.

xxx
n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 11:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:

quote:

I am a firm believer in not being fastidiously hygienic (obviously I wash etc!) because otherwise the body just isnt used to bacteria, viruses and pathogens. I hardly ever wash my hands after handling my snakes, the dogs, cats, horses, chickens... and I have never had food poisoning, salmonella, flu- much of anything infact.

I know some of you may think this is completely disgusting but there is a lot to be said for this culture we have where everything must be clean and sterile, yet illnesses are at record highs.

and yes, that bloke does sound very annoying.

I'm all the way with you on this!

YAY!

Its just natural vaccinations really- vaccinations involve having a small amount of the bad thing injected straight into your body so you can build up a defense to it. Ingesting small amounts of bacteria, germs, viruses and pathogens little and often does, infact, keep you healthier than very good hygiene.

True. Take the common flu for exapmle. In Europe most people recover from it, but it was first introduced by mistake into the population of the Amazon basin, the death toll was horendous because they had absolutely no natural defence against it!

n/a Posted - 22/10/2009 : 11:38:50
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am a firm believer in not being fastidiously hygienic (obviously I wash etc!) because otherwise the body just isnt used to bacteria, viruses and pathogens. I hardly ever wash my hands after handling my snakes, the dogs, cats, horses, chickens... and I have never had food poisoning, salmonella, flu- much of anything infact.

I know some of you may think this is completely disgusting but there is a lot to be said for this culture we have where everything must be clean and sterile, yet illnesses are at record highs.

YAY!

Its just natural vaccinations really- vaccinations involve having a small amount of the bad thing injected straight into your body so you can build up a defense to it. Ingesting small amounts of bacteria, germs, viruses and pathogens little and often does, infact, keep you healthier than very good hygiene.

That's the excuse I use when Lewy wants to know why the kitchen hasn't been cleaned. I tell him I'm protecting his immune system

The kitchen hasn't been cleaned because he hasn't cleaned it!

The kitchen is a dangerous place full of dangerous instruments and should be a forbidden zone for us delicate ladies. (A kettle and a jar of coffee can be placed in the living room for those who insist on the three main food groups: coffee, cigarettes, more coffee.)

Kazerella Posted - 22/10/2009 : 08:52:06
quote:

quote:

quote:

YAY!

That's the excuse I use when Lewy wants to know why the kitchen hasn't been cleaned. I tell him I'm protecting his immune system
HannahB Posted - 22/10/2009 : 07:27:50
im the same as SB and Hawk - i use my hand gel before and after but if im going to eat i wash thm aswell - hand gel doesnt taste very nice when eating toast lol
Kellog Posted - 21/10/2009 : 21:14:55
Dont really need to say anything cos its already been said - all I do is wash hands in bacterial hand wash before and after handling Kellog, cleaning viv and handling mice. Think that Dr just thought he was being clever, as soon as he saw your snakes he thought 'great diagnosis and reason right in front of me - gold star!!'. Fast thinking getting Aggie out, serves him right!!
Do hope you are slowly feeling better and getting stronger.

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 20:55:37
quote:

quote:

YAY!

matty18714 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 17:21:31
Apperenly snake keepers are less likly to catch it because they are exposed to it more often.
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 17:14:10
quote:

Taz Devil Posted - 21/10/2009 : 16:54:10
I know where you went wrong. You didn't wash the snake and sterilise it for 20 mins in scalding hot water before and after feeding.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

unless you are putting either your snake or the snake's stuff into your mouth

So giving the snake a daily wash by licking it is out of the question.
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:58:21
well done u for getting aggie out and shaking off the horrid man lol. my hubby drives buses for a living and when swine started coming about he was giving a hand spray thingy cant mind wat its called but he was to use everytime he drove a different bus just incase the steering wheel was infected (hmmm) anyway i think the work is fed up with him asking for a new bottle as we use it at home after before and after handling the snakes better safe than sorry, i think u are doin every thing right and are quite right to blame that curry for the salmonella. hope u feel better soon
Kazerella Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:20:09
You are a lot more likely to get salmonella from food than snakes, especially when practicing good hygiene like you are doing.

Really, unless you are putting either your snake or the snake's stuff (or mucky hands after handling) into your mouth then it's difficult to get it into your system, even if your snake was carrying it.

It probably was the curry - they have done a review of all the takeaways in our town and loads have got zero stars for hygiene. Disgusting really.
n/a Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:05:10
thanxs all i just wanted to check
PunkAsF82 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 12:51:11
when i had Tartan, the most i used to do was use an alcohol gel after i handled her and wash my hands after getting out the mice. I never got salmonella! Stupid dr. probably just wanted to try and make sure they wouldn't be there if he called again
kizzig Posted - 21/10/2009 : 12:47:04
Sounds like you're doing everything right Tilly. We go through a lot of hand gel and use beaclean for the viv's. It sounds unlikely that you've got the salmonella from the snakes as your hygeine routing is very good... Sounds like he was just voicing his opinion. From what we've heard, not all reptiles carry salmonella, but it is best to assume that they all do just in case (read this somewhere a while back, so not sure how true it is...) Some people try to sell reps' "Salmonella free" but it is likely that at some point the reptile will develop this, so if you ever see "salmonella free", take it with a pinch of salt and keep up the good hygeine practices! Better to be over concerned about hygeine (as you have been) than sorry!

We hope you're feeling better soon!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000