The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Question regarding Mat Stat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tony1983 Posted - 08/12/2013 : 14:35:54
I use a HabiStat Mat Stat for my corns temps in warm end. I have it stated to 28, or as near as i can get the pointer to go to.

My current warm end temp is 28.7, the highest ive seen it go with the stat is 29.6 (due to residual heat increasing even though stat has clicked off i assume)and the lowest ive seen it go with the stat is 27.2/3 approx

Anyway my questions are as follows; As the stat looks pretty simple in terms of whats on display, If dial is set to 28 as it seems to be, how do i know at what temp the stat will click itself off, and alternatively at what temp with it click itself back on?

is a range of 27.1/2 approx and 29.6 a fair and decent range for the warm end? which is gained by situating the heat mat below the aspen under the warm hide with the probe on the mat.

May aswell throw in the other heats i currently have in there right now for good measure.

cool end 20.5 (heating is on in the house)
warm end 28.1

Regards, and sorry for the longwindedness of this question, I always end up rambling.

T
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thorne Walker Posted - 08/12/2013 : 23:02:15
The technical term is Hysteresis.

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Switching/therm_sw.htm

All On-Off stats will have some degree if it to prevent the relay from flipping on and off constantly.

A pulse stat won't because of the way it works.

Try adding more Mass (like tiles) in your warm end. The the more Mass you have the slower the rate of change will be, you can't escape the limits of your stat but the temperatures won't swing as quick.

With all that said, I wouldn't stress about it... +/- 1c is as close to perfect as your likely to get without way over engineering a solution...
lupi lou Posted - 08/12/2013 : 17:36:08
The habistats have a much smaller range than the micro climate and komodo stats. I have each of these and the habistat is the most stable out of the lot.
Tony1983 Posted - 08/12/2013 : 15:21:13
Hey, Thanks for the reply:)

electric/battery dual probe LCD display thermometer :), Swell reptiles own make as far as i recall :) THe temps never seem to fluctuate very much, I use a Habistat Mat and Same brand stat :)

T
lupi lou Posted - 08/12/2013 : 15:14:07
How are you measuring your temps? I have exo terra digital thermometers which give me the current temp as well has what the higest and lowest temp reading are. So as long as it is in the required heat range I wouldn't worry too much about your temps as they sound fine. The habistat mat has far less range which is gives you more of a stable hot end temp. The other option if you would rather have even lest variance is the pluse stat, which I know a few people on here use with their mats.
I hope that has answered you question :-)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000