The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 national reptile awareness day

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 08/11/2013 : 05:49:56
A few months ago it was suggested on one of the forums that the reptile keeping community holds an annual Reptile Awareness Day (or week). The aims of the day being to promote responsible and caring reptile keeping while reaching out and introducing the non reptile keeping public to the joys of the hobby. It is hoped that such a day would help to dispel many of the myths and stigmas associated with reptile keeping whilst portraying the positive nature of the hobby.

The idea of the Reptile Awareness Day was seized upon and a small group of dedicated keepers set about turning the idea into a reality. It was felt that one of the main areas of focus for the first Reptile Awareness Day should be to reach out to the non reptile keeping public. The organisers of the day have gained the help and support of three major names within the reptile trade. Venues have been secured across 20 counties where respected keepers will take a selection of reptiles for a ‘ show and tell ’ day. These venues have potential for introducing hundreds, possibly thousands of members of the public to the world of reptile keeping.

The venues have been provided by the chain store Pets at Home. P@H have thousands of pet loving customers visiting their stores each weekend. Many of these visitors will have had little contact or experience of the reptile keeping hobby. It is hoped that through Reptile Awareness Day a number of P@H's general customers will join the ranks of the reptile keeping community. The day will also serve to portray a positive image of the hobby to others. It is a superb opportunity for us to show the non reptile owning public that the hobby is far different to that portrayed by programmes like ‘Essex Jungle ‘. It is the perfect opportunity to correct some of the misinformation that has been spread by those opposed to our hobby. Pets at Home have been very supportive of this venture without taking over or trying to make the day their own. They are aware and supportive to the aim that Reptile Awareness Day and eventually Reptile Awareness Week belongs to the reptile keeping community. The day is not about P@H, it is about those who genuinely care for their reptiles.

I’m sure many people reading this will be asking why they have not heard of Reptile Awareness Day before now. Sadly there are organisations who would seek to obstruct or sabotage the event. For this reason planning and publicising of the event has until now been kept ‘low key’. The last thing needed on the first ‘Reptile Awareness Day ’ is conflict with those opposed to our hobby. We hope that next year the event will be a massive venture involving every keeper, every reptile shop, vets, schools clubs etc. In fact the aim is for next year….Reptile Awareness Week!!!

What can you do to help? Every responsible and caring reptile owner within the UK has potential to positively contribute to the day. At an individual level, use the day to introduce a non reptile owning friend or colleague to the pleasure of reptile ownership. Imagine how strong the reptile keeping community would be if every keeper successfully introduced another person into the hobby. If you own a shop, please try to do something to help promote responsible and caring reptile keeping, something to celebrate our wonderful hobby.

This day belongs to every member of the reptile keeping community. Please join in and help us make Reptile Awareness Day a success. Please show your support and help us make Reptile Awareness Day – Reptile Awareness Week an annual event on the reptile keeping calendar.

this is happening tomorrow on saturday the 09/11/13 at the following p@h store's
Ayr
Basingstoke
Leeds (Birstall)
Belfast (Newtownabbey)
Blackpool
Camden (Friern Barnet)
Fife (Kircaldy)
Grimsby
Harlow
Havant
High Wycombe
Irvine
Inverurie
Keighley
Merry Hill (Dudley)
Portsmouth (Fareham)
Slough
Swindon
York
Truro

please come along a show your support if one of these store's is near you or check if you local reptile shop is doing anything for the day
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 16/11/2013 : 22:01:14
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

The dundee one diddnt do anything

The Dundee one wasn't on the list SBB lol

I read 'elsewhere' that P@H had agreed to let 20 stores do it, (the first 20 who had volunteers I think) so I understand the others weren't included/allowed or whatever. None near us or I would have popped along - hopefully it went well and more will do it next year...

sorry forgot to reply on here, yes for the first day it was agreed by p@h to only have 20 store's, the whole day across all the store's was a huge success with many non reptile people going away with a different view on our awesome pet's
here is a link to a thread on CBUK with some pic's from the swindon store i did and some other's
http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/upcoming-shows-events-reviews-previous-reptile-expos/70823-reptile-awareness-day.html

and for those of you on fb here is the link to the reptile awareness day page where you can find out info about the next planned event's and location's ect
https://www.facebook.com/NatRepAwareDay?fref=ts
please like, share an spread the word about this an help us spread the awareness of reptile's
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/11/2013 : 13:36:43
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

quote:

I read 'elsewhere' that P@H had agreed to let 20 stores do it, (the first 20 who had volunteers I think) so I understand the others weren't included/allowed or whatever. None near us or I would have popped along - hopefully it went well and more will do it next year...

Was a good excuse to go get something for Storm though, didnt check the list, i did time it well were a few puppies in, got my ears chewed by a gorgeous westie pup!
smart bunny Posted - 13/11/2013 : 09:50:23
quote:

Moppet Posted - 12/11/2013 : 22:19:12
Ah well, I'm a little late reading this too but I hope it went well
Charles Posted - 12/11/2013 : 20:23:46
They were there in high Wycombe and lots of children got to handle snakes whylst I was there
scottishbluebird Posted - 12/11/2013 : 14:54:02
Mort13 Posted - 12/11/2013 : 12:20:55
Well I read this a bit late :-/
Fingers crossed it went well and it takes off for future years
scottishbluebird Posted - 08/11/2013 : 17:45:58
Meant to be going to dundee tomorrow, if my flipping back lets me, will pop in and see
chrisc Posted - 08/11/2013 : 07:23:33
The helpers an animals have all been sorted so just a case of turning up to have a look an show some support.
Hopefully next year there will be bigger events over more days
Charles Posted - 08/11/2013 : 07:19:51
A lovely idea - I will get along to High Wycombe store. One question, are they encouraging us to take along some snakes or are they just using there own animals?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000