The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 i need help :/

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 05/11/2013 : 23:35:45
im getting a bigger viv for lazarus, a stackable one, which is font opening, and as most of you know ive only ever used monfields top opening.
i was going to put lazzy's heat mat inside his new viv. Is it ok to put a piece of slate or tile on top of the mat or will that cause heating issues as the heat will not rise and cause a heat pocket?

Also will a mat be enough or will i also need a ceramic bulb?

im getting a lot of conflicting views and what feels like people shouting at me on other forums :/

I just need a little guidance.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danbaylis35 Posted - 09/11/2013 : 10:31:32
if u are stacking make sure there is a small gap between the vivs cork tiles seem best for this,i always use a bulb seems to heat better :)
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 07/11/2013 : 17:42:39
Thank you :)
a33272 Posted - 07/11/2013 : 09:34:51
heat lamps in stacks can give you a headache due to the heat rising an heating the viv above it. mats are fine without anything covering them other than substrate.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 06/11/2013 : 18:55:43
Thank you :)
Charles Posted - 06/11/2013 : 16:29:39
I have put tiles over my heat mat and glued the temp probe and thermostat to the tiles. It seems to be working very well. The temp is stable and she is digesting food fine. I don't have a lamp to increase ambient temp.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30582
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 06/11/2013 : 13:51:59
Thank you guys.
coxymk2 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 08:18:52
I wouldn't know about having slate or tile on top of heatmat but I find that the heat from the mat is adequate to keep both ends of the viv within the right sort of limits without using a bulb even and mine all seem comfortable with that.
witchy Posted - 06/11/2013 : 08:03:01
I use slates on top of my mats
Regarding lamps etc- if you live in a standard home with central heating you shouldnt need lamps too..... I live in a boat, it has central heating & a large wood fire with back boiler but doesn't run 24/7 & gets cold very quickly so I also use lamps to increase ambient temps. The lamps are placed hot end & I have them set at 25C. Without them I was getting cold end readings of 5C at times.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 05/11/2013 : 23:50:08
or just a bulb instead of a mat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000