The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Corn vs other snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vince_the_snake Posted - 18/10/2013 : 18:43:32
I'm going to ask my Mum about getting another snake (already have 1 corn) and I'm not sure wether to ask for another corn (different morph) or a different species, like a king snake, or Royal Python.
Opinions?
(Note-I'm personally very interested in the royal python)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 03/11/2013 : 12:30:34
IMO cali kings are better for keepers who are accepting of being bitten, if it comes to itt. It's not uncommon and mine has taken opportunities to strike and luckily missed. She has her good days where she's like butter wouldn't melt and you can have a cuddle. But the other days she can be very irritable. But I can live with that and wouldn't change her.

Do as much research as you can. The worst thing I learnt about cali kings is the musking (it's one hell of a bad stench and a messy job), she started this when I first had her. It's a natural Defence mechanism, but she's used to me now and prefers to snap at me instead. So do bare this in mind.

Don't be put off though because every snake is different and cali kings are beautiful.

Good luck with convincing mum and look forward to seeing what happens
Vince_the_snake Posted - 02/11/2013 : 23:15:55
No... have to resist...changing my mind to housie!
Mort13 Posted - 02/11/2013 : 20:55:51
Cali kings have a reputation for being nippy. I know the odd person with docile ones but a lot more people have stroppy ones, me included :-P Mine used to musk when I first got him, after a year he stopped musking and would now rather chase my hand with his mouth open haha!!
House snakes are ace though, my children of a similar age to you love handling ours. The only time you have to be careful with a housie is at feeding time, they have an insane feeding response!!

Eli, my male T-Albino Cape House snake. He's only a small snake now at almost 3 years old!

Ollivander, my male True Olive House snake, he's just over 2 and less than half the size of the corns of a similar age

Olivia, my female True Olive, she's huge compared to my male but still smaller and more slender than a corn:
Vince_the_snake Posted - 02/11/2013 : 11:23:39
Saw a cali Kingsnake at pets at home yesterday (went to pick up cat + rabbit food, I don't use it as a reptile shop) me and my mum both really loved it! I've looked on the kingsnake forum, and they seem easy to look after, being similar to corns. I will try to convince her to come to the local reptile shop to have a closer look. Fingers crossed!
Thorne Walker Posted - 22/10/2013 : 07:26:08
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

If you have the room for a large viv and like a snake with a temperament that's docile & inquisitive look no further than a Russian ratsnake

So True! I picked up Monster after repeatedly coming across the word 'Buddy' in write up after write up. He's always hanging out in the open and will cruse about during the day.

We have a routine, he poops 3 days after a feed and sheds about 5-6 days after he goes all 'Zombie-riffic'. He waits for me to come get him out on the appointed day...

But they do get bigger than corns... (8 inch/20cm tiles)

He's only 2 years old and around 350g/1.4m. He's really mellow, I've never been bitten/attacked. The one time he snapped at me I had some aspen in my hand so I'm presuming he was confused and thought he was being fed. He's only once coiled his prey despite being really energetic about grabbing it, usually he just 'sits' on it to pin it in place if it(me) is putting up a fight. We just transitioned to f/t weaner rats.

Russians are awesome!

Boomslang Posted - 22/10/2013 : 01:44:25
quote:
Royal python - pain in the rear for feeding, never saw it, fat lazy slug. Sold him to a neighbour who says he's a pain to feed and never sees him :D
hahahaha yeah :P another reason i like hognoses,Mine are always out and about doing something.I much prefer more active snakes,that you see from time to time :P
Vince_the_snake Posted - 21/10/2013 : 21:45:06
Yeah, I think house snake (male) as its small and doesn't need a really big viv
eeji Posted - 21/10/2013 : 21:05:03
my experience of other snake species I've had other than corns....

Cape house snake - quite jumpy and faster than corns, fairly nippy as babies but calm down a bit as adults. Beautifully silky smooth skin with an awesome shimmer
Honduran milksnake - Very shy, like to hide a lot, not too keen on being handled. Again, nippy when young but become docile. Mine were both hypo so intense bright in-yer-face orange
Everglades ratsnake - slightly bigger and stronger than a corn but puppy dog tame. Good to see the pattern change from blotced baby to stripe adult.
Royal python - pain in the rear for feeding, never saw it, fat lazy slug. Sold him to a neighbour who says he's a pain to feed and never sees him :D
hayleylsl Posted - 21/10/2013 : 19:49:45
lupi lou Posted - 21/10/2013 : 17:28:04
quote:
Originally posted by hayleylsl

I was also wondering too about another snake (I've got the bug!) and was looking at King snakes/milk snakes. They are beautiful to look at in the pictures I have seen but I don't know to much about them, general temperament etc. Has anyone experience of these beauties?

Kings have a rep for being nippy when young and milks can be quite nervous, both can musk if upset. Our Cali King at work is a fab snake. Have a nosy on thekingsnake.co.uk lots of info on there
Vince_the_snake Posted - 21/10/2013 : 16:18:48
Gorgeous snakes, I like the green!
Moppet Posted - 20/10/2013 : 20:39:12
Yay house snake

Here's a couple of photos of one of my young house snakes...

hayleylsl Posted - 20/10/2013 : 19:49:45
I was also wondering too about another snake (I've got the bug!) and was looking at King snakes/milk snakes. They are beautiful to look at in the pictures I have seen but I don't know to much about them, general temperament etc. Has anyone experience of these beauties?

Vince_the_snake Posted - 20/10/2013 : 19:12:23
Gorgeous snake, I love the yellow and black! Showed it to Mum she said they all look the same...
smart bunny Posted - 20/10/2013 : 19:09:13
quote:
Originally posted by Vince_the_snake

My mum seemed more positive about the house snake because they're small. Also I think just the word python worries people and I like the look of the house snakes more now.

Note- I meant to right hognose but it corrected it to Johnson!

Ha ha ha, see, you're already getting round her

And lol at the hognose/Johnson correction!

Gorgeous snake there Mick
Okeetee Mick Posted - 20/10/2013 : 18:34:32
If you have the room for a large viv and like a snake with a temperament that's docile & Inquisitive look no further than a Russian ratsnake, bear in mind they do get to around 6 feet but a lovely snake.
[/URL]
Vince_the_snake Posted - 20/10/2013 : 18:23:04
My mum seemed more positive about the house snake because they're small. Also I think just the word python worries people and I like the look of the house snakes more now.

Note- I meant to right hognose but it corrected it to Johnson!
Boomslang Posted - 20/10/2013 : 14:03:06
quote:
Personally I dislike royals - more fussy in their requirements, rather reclusive and often poor feeders from what I understand, and I personally don't like them aesthetically - too fat for me :P
I never found that to be the case.Not to fussy on requirements,and never had any feeding problems.

But,If you want an active snake don't get a royal.they really don't do anything at all :) Apart from at night time etc
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2013 : 00:13:09
My Mexican black king is the most cutest and cuddly snake ever <3 but I know not all are as silly as mine :)

I can see your mums point and I can only stress what smart bunny has said. So many times you see people that go off to uni as they cant take their snake, only for their parent not be able to take care of it/want to and then it gets rehomed. I sated at home for uni but since moving out and getting a job, finding a place that I like and that will allow snakes was a bit frustrating and difficult as it's not just down to the landlord.

I wouldn't get a slug though as they look like slugs :p
Coal Posted - 19/10/2013 : 23:05:07
Personally I dislike royals - more fussy in their requirements, rather reclusive and often poor feeders from what I understand, and I personally don't like them aesthetically - too fat for me :P Still there's nothing wrong with them. King snakes would be an option; some are a bit bitey/squirmy but some are lovely. Mexican black kings and Cali kings are my personal favourites, especially the former. You could also look into house snakes (lovely colour and stay very small), hognoses (flipping adorable - might be getting one myself in a month) and, if you wanted something a little more unusual, a Kenyan sand boa.

Of course you could also get another corn; there are some really lovely morphs out there that are quite cheap - stripes are some of my favourites.

As for convincing your mum, I agree with Smart Bunny - spend a few months to a year looking after your current corn as well as you can and try not to mention getting another if you can. After a while your mum will see your dedicated to looking after your animals and is more likely to consider letting you have another. Just try not to nag - mums hate being nagged in my experience :P

Best of luck.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000