The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Handling Sid for first time.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark143 Posted - 19/07/2013 : 22:57:31
So tonight was the first time I handled Sid.
I had been feeling a bit apprehensive after the reaction I was getting from him when I went into change his water.
I tried the sock trick by putting a sock in with him that I had worn so he could get used to my scent. Not sure it this helped.
Also it was written on his record in the shop that he was "a bit snappy".
Anyway I aimed the cats out of the living room and got Sid out. He was a bit stressed for about the first minute or so but then he really calmed down and we had an enjoyable 10 minutes together before showing signs that he had had enough and me putting him back in his Rub.
Looking forward to handling him tomorrow and feeling a lot more confident about having him out now.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 23/07/2013 : 09:34:31
Well done :)
yalovit Posted - 22/07/2013 : 18:30:23
good feeling
gaz1974 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 22:32:29
Well done Mark. As you become more confident Sid will relax even more.
mark143 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 22:12:11
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

Its great isnt it!

Sure is.
scottishbluebird Posted - 20/07/2013 : 21:09:32
Its great isnt it!
mark143 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 11:23:25
Thanks. : )
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 20/07/2013 : 10:20:39
Aww so happy for you. Always an exciting time
mark143 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 08:33:04
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

I've just seen the photo of him and he's still really quite little. It's quite normal for young, small corns to be a bit speedy and sometimes a bit defensive. They usually do calm down as they get used to you and grow up a bit

One of my corns, Aphrodite, was convinced she could fly when she was little and used to try to zoom out of my hands. I held her over the bed for a while just in case she got away from me! Now, just a year later, she's very calm and I would happily give her to a young child to handle

He is small but was surprised how calm he became last night within a few minutes. I just sat on the sofa with him moving through my fingers. I feel much more confident now after last night.
Moppet Posted - 20/07/2013 : 07:48:07
I've just seen the photo of him and he's still really quite little. It's quite normal for young, small corns to be a bit speedy and sometimes a bit defensive. They usually do calm down as they get used to you and grow up a bit

One of my corns, Aphrodite, was convinced she could fly when she was little and used to try to zoom out of my hands. I held her over the bed for a while just in case she got away from me! Now, just a year later, she's very calm and I would happily give her to a young child to handle
mark143 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 06:08:11
Thanks everyone. It wasn't so much the bite I was concerned about. I was more worried about how fast he would be and if he was to get away and if i lost him somewhere. With three cats I know that would have been a disaster.
Also worried that I could end up with a snake that wasn't tame and didn't like me very much for 15-20 years.
All went ok and can't wait to get him out today.
Moppet Posted - 20/07/2013 : 03:31:46
That's great news Just be patient and keep at it and chances are very good that he'll settle down. As mjpeters said, even if he does bite he's unlikely to break the skin and if he does even the very worst bites from a corn snake aren't much of a wound.
mjpeters Posted - 19/07/2013 : 23:17:38
Well doneworth remembering that they rarely break the skin even if they do have a nip
Still,even better to have a chillaxed snakey that enjoys being out
SilverWings Posted - 19/07/2013 : 22:58:33
Yay, well done ^_^

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000