The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Some pet shops make me mad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lee Posted - 17/07/2013 : 11:29:36
I've just been in my local one, it's a farm shop type set up with a very large aquarium section and a small reptile section.
Just looking as you do to see whats what. I noticed all the older corns, 3 of them, and a rat snake where all in their water bowls. The rat snake is in blue. Now I know it's a hot day but I had a look at the thermometers and they were at 40-42c! far too hot, the vivs have lights, basking spots and heat mats. Corns don't need the basking spot or the light and seeing as it's 27c here it's warm enough anyway.
No wonder they are in their water bowls. The Royals and Dragons were all at about 36c.
I went to the counter for some pinkies and said to the girl that all the corn tanks are too hot. 'Yes' she said 'we know, we are only keeping the lights on for a few hours a day'. I said they need to be cooler and around 28 at most, but just got ignored really and she carried on counting pinkies.
These poor things don't need all that heat, the basking lights defo need to be off and just the strip light if anything.
Rant over but I'm still annoyed!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coxymk2 Posted - 21/07/2013 : 20:54:47
I wont use PaH after a bad experience with them. My local petshop is really good all the vivs are kept well and the reptiles look fit and healthy they breed a lot of the stock in the shop itself. They are very knowledgeable and if one person doesn't know an answer to a question they are quick to find some body that does.
Boomslang Posted - 20/07/2013 : 23:00:39
Pets at home near me only have two vivs :) So it's an okay shop.As for other shops,Most of them in my area are bad :(
gaz1974 Posted - 20/07/2013 : 22:51:06
I went to a garden centre who were selling reptiles. They had a corn snake in a viv that was a quarter the length of the snake and didn't appear to have any obvious heat source.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 18/07/2013 : 21:37:50
Thankfully, as i see it, the pets at home where i got Mo looks after the snakes well. im in often enough seeing their reptile collection, ive seen and held almost every snake they have, they all seem healthy and seem to be used to handling which id assume to be a good sign?
So one less place to worry about to me.
mjpeters Posted - 18/07/2013 : 14:32:24
The ONLY way(IMO)to put a stop to this is to stop buying reptiles from places like this.
But as I've found out (to my cost) there are also bad breeders out there
Present company excluded of course!I have to say my least hassle free purchase and generaly wonderful snake has to be Inky bought from Dear Erin
Coal Posted - 18/07/2013 : 11:59:30
Woops, accidental double post, sorry!
Coal Posted - 18/07/2013 : 11:58:54
I'm sad to hear that some Pets at Home stores do not keep their animals well. The one near me does not have a very large snake selection (they had one corn, four or five milks and a Cali king when I popped in Monday to get mice) but they all seem to be in good condition with digital thermometers showing suitable temps, though admittedly I think they do use one heating strip for more than one RUB. In any case that's where I got Lovecraft from and they let me have a good look at all their snakes.

The only problem was that the woman who cared for them seemed to think that the milks and the corns were the same species, or at least very similar; when I said I wanted a corn she asked if I wanted a milk corn or a regular one...
AcidicAngel Posted - 18/07/2013 : 11:16:00
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

well so far no luck with the RSPCA, I've tried numerous times to call but I'm on constant hold for over 10 minutes at a time. I've just tried again (9.30am) and it's still saying call back later or wait on hold for a considerable amount of time! They are obviously swamped with calls probably because of the hot weather. I'll keep trying!

I'll be going back down on Friday with my cat(Post-Op Check-Up) and my camera and while waiting for him will get some better pictures.
Lee Posted - 18/07/2013 : 09:47:31
well so far no luck with the RSPCA, I've tried numerous times to call but I'm on constant hold for over 10 minutes at a time. I've just tried again (9.30am) and it's still saying call back later or wait on hold for a considerable amount of time! They are obviously swamped with calls probably because of the hot weather. I'll keep trying!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 17/07/2013 : 23:20:04
Sounds like a plan folks! aha
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/07/2013 : 22:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by Thorne Walker

quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel
I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar.

Imo do it differently.. Call the RSPCA first, make your report... then tell the manager...

quote:
O hi.. I reported your BS husbandry to the RSPCA, I'll be back next week to monitor your compliance

Then hand him a care guide, preferably one that is available for sale in his shop.

Be sure to record whatever you can legally, not only will it assist in the RSPCA's investigation but it will also likely be hilarious...

Haha! I might actually say that line Thanks for that!
Thorne Walker Posted - 17/07/2013 : 22:17:28
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel
I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar.

Imo do it differently.. Call the RSPCA first, make your report... then tell the manager...

quote:
O hi.. I reported your BS husbandry to the RSPCA, I'll be back next week to monitor your compliance

Then hand him a care guide, preferably one that is available for sale in his shop.

Be sure to record whatever you can legally, not only will it assist in the RSPCA's investigation but it will also likely be hilarious...

AcidicAngel Posted - 17/07/2013 : 21:55:20
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

What the hell is wrong with these people D:

I don't know but because having a high humidity constantly can cause respiratory infection - I WILL be notifying first the manager and if he says the same as the worker, the RSPCA or similar. It's dangerous to have them at such high humidity constantly like that and I bet the temps were up high, I couldn't see a stat on any of the vivs and the wires were pretty visible...
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 17/07/2013 : 21:18:41
What the hell is wrong with these people D:
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/07/2013 : 21:11:36
Well it didn't help that I mentioned it to a woman who worked there and she went "They are rainforest snakes, they live in really humid places in the wild so they need to be like that or they'll die." and I was shocked!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 17/07/2013 : 20:47:31
Pets at home near where i live, have 3 carolinas, three ghosts, an amel, 2 milks aswell.
When i saw the pic of the ghost i was worried it was the shop near me, i would have gone down and said something!
I seriously HATE this kind of 'care' in pet shops. Makes you want to take them all home just so you know they are properly cared for!
Boomslang Posted - 17/07/2013 : 20:44:49
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

It may be that the girl has already acknowledged the problem with her superiors and isn't allowed to talk about it? It may be she's being told what to do.. Which is why she may have been frosty. Or it could be that she just doesnt care.. ;)

Yeah maybe the owner won't let her/anyone spend the time fixing the problems.Won't invest money into new equipment,Or its been brought up and the owner don't care.

I've worked in places,where they've had me on the till all day,But the shelves were empty.Said we should take afew people of the tills,to fill the shelves and been told to shut up etc.

So the blame is on the owner/manager in this case,as they should be checking the store etc :)
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/07/2013 : 18:35:46
You're telling me... Had to take my cat, Tiger, to the vets inside Pets At Home to have him castrated and while I was waiting went to look around. Saw the corns in this state All there boxes were condensating inside...

Sorry for the bad picture, was taken on my phone. It's a Ghost Corn they had in but all of the corns(7 Carolina's and an Amel) were like this as well...
Moppet Posted - 17/07/2013 : 18:15:08
Disgusting Poor snakes. Report it and hopefully that will force them to do something about it.
oakleyman18 Posted - 17/07/2013 : 17:58:59
It may be that the girl has already acknowledged the problem with her superiors and isn't allowed to talk about it? It may be she's being told what to do.. Which is why she may have been frosty. Or it could be that she just doesnt care.. ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000