The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 fire/heatmat worries. Prorep changing their mats!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Moppet Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:06:12
Well after seeing this thread http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/933574-shop-fire-heat-mat-warning.html about a shop fire caused by a printed mat I vowed to use the carbon cloth ones only.

I ordered two prorep heat mats as they are what I have in all my vivs, expecting to receive two nice carbon cloth mats...Not true! Prorep are changing their mats to the printed ones as they are cheaper to produce!!! So I received two printed mats instead Gutted.

Not sure whether to just sell them on and try to find the proper carbon cloth ones as I'm very nervous about using them, there's so much room for error!

Anyone know of any good carbon mat companies??

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Moppet Posted - 05/07/2013 : 12:16:22
Microclimate rings a bell. Perhaps it was them...I can't be bothered to read through it either haha.
smart bunny Posted - 05/07/2013 : 10:08:08
I believe it was actually a guy from microclimate who went onto the thread to defend their printed mats (from memory, not about to read through it again lol!).
Moppet Posted - 04/07/2013 : 23:00:49
Thanks Razee. That's what I saw on the RFUK thread, further down somebody from a company that will use printed mats, I think habistat? Just the impact of such a photo as the one after the fire is massive. They do look well made and prorep have been good so far, I think they used to use habistat, I don't know whether these printed mats are from them too or not.
Razee Posted - 04/07/2013 : 21:27:02
Please don't worry, Moppet. I also remember reading an article - and I really don't know if it was here or RFUK, very likely RFUK, where they said that the modern printed mats are very safe, and have even got an advantage over the cloth ones. They are meant to use the same technology as in underfloor heating, so don't have problems with thermal blocking under pressure/ weight.

As long as yours were made by a good reputable company, they should be safe. Any electric thing can go wrong,of course, but if yours are from a reputable manufacturer, and not a cheap Chines ones, you should be fine, whatever type.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 04/07/2013 : 21:00:14
oo dear :(
serena_08 Posted - 04/07/2013 : 08:22:58
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

i havnt read the thread and dont think i want to going by these comments. :o

it's quite sad, it upset me and olanted the paranoia in almost everyone who has seen it :(
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 03/07/2013 : 21:35:07
i havnt read the thread and dont think i want to going by these comments. :o
Moppet Posted - 03/07/2013 : 20:37:52
I only bought prorep or habistat since seeing that thread Never had any problems until now. I've done a lot of research that says the mats which had fire issues were either Chinese and poorly made or of one specific brand. Someone under the username habistat has posted on the darkside saying their printed mats are very safe and they have had no issues at all with them, in fact they say that they are safer than the carbon cloth ones.

Now I'm just confused I'm quite cross that the photos on the website that I ordered from were of the cloth type and I received printed and I have emailed them to tell them that.
smart bunny Posted - 03/07/2013 : 20:02:17
I ONLY buy habistat mats since seeing that thread, and they are cloth ones - or at least they were last time I bought any back in Feb.
Donnie Posted - 03/07/2013 : 20:01:33
they are still showing as the cloth ones on here and if I received one of the printed ones I would send them back

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/heat-mats-450/habistat-heat-mat-26228.html
Moppet Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:59:18
I thought habistat made the mats for prorep? Unless maybe they changed the company they source from and that is why they are no longer cloth I know habistat and prorep used to be the best heat mats, but if prorep have changed, will habistat?? Good job I didn't need them urgently, I have time to decide what to do as the mats are for moving two of my cb12s into their bigger vivs.
Donnie Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:56:53
you should be able to send them back if you haven't removed them from their packaging. I think habistat make the cloth ones

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000