The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Breeding Mice for Snake Consumption

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Coal Posted - 03/07/2013 : 12:35:49
Hi all, first of all I apologise if this is in the wrong place... Wasn't really sure where it ought to go...

Anyway, first a little context: I live with three housemates, all animal lovers to greater and lesser extents, and one of them is thinking of starting up a small mouse colony, partly to breed for specific traits as a hobby and partly to give me a free supply of mice for Lovecraft's dinners. Naturally this raises a lot of questions and requires a lot of research, and rest assured that my housemate, who will be their primary keeper, is doing it, but there are a few things on the snake end of things that I would like to ask some advice on.

First of all, if anyone could give me some information about what constitutes a 'small', 'medium' or 'large' in terms of size and weight I'd be very grateful; at the moment I kinda' rely on the shop just giving me the right size when I ask for a smalls but in the future I will have to tell my housemate when a litter needs to be killed and I don't want to end up with a freezer-full of mice that are too small or worse, too big.

And that brings me on to my second question, which is a much more delicate one. Does anyone on here have any experience with culling mice and would they be able to advise the quickest, most humane method of doing so? At the moment my housemate plans to use carbon dioxide as we have heard it's relatively quick and is fairly guaranteed to kill them (the risk of attempting to break their neck and getting it wrong, and hence causing a lot of pain, is really not a pleasant one), but if anyone can suggest alternative methods, I'd be grateful.

Obviously I know this is a sensitive topic. I understand that some people may have strong opinions about raising mammals to feed to snakes and I welcome discussion on this point, but please rest assured that these mice will be treated with the utmost kindness, all of their needs being met, will be given spacious enclosures and will not be over-bred.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 03/07/2013 : 21:30:47
I personally never thought of breeding my own mice for food (probably due to the fact i owned pet rats and couldnt think of killing them). But it would be interesting to see what you find, and how you get on doing it. keep me informed :)
Kellog Posted - 03/07/2013 : 20:06:17
As far as mice weights go I've found the table in the Very rough guide to feeding is fairly accurate, although it does differ depending on where you get your mice. It may be worthwhile checking the online suppliers as well, see what weights they classify different mice as.

This has been discussed before on here and this thread on Breeding and humane dispatch will hopefully help with your research.

Xxx
Donnie Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:54:39
cervical dislocation is probably the most humane method if done correctly and ideal for smaller quantities of rodents
Lee Posted - 03/07/2013 : 15:07:10
I think the CO2 chamber is the best option and easily made, I would think any other way would involve more distress to the mouse.
ScalySituation Posted - 03/07/2013 : 14:15:32
No worries :) its what we're here for :D
Coal Posted - 03/07/2013 : 14:14:51
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

down the page on this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22619&SearchTerms=feeding,guide a post by Dancross0 has a guide as to what weights the mice are. cant help on the culling though im afraid

Thanks for the link, really helpful :)
ScalySituation Posted - 03/07/2013 : 13:59:22
down the page on this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22619&SearchTerms=feeding,guide a post by Dancross0 has a guide as to what weights the mice are. cant help on the culling though im afraid

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000