The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Where did you find your passion?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Slinkey23 Posted - 20/06/2013 : 22:32:00
Basically after watching yesterdays snake bytes got me thinking, during the show he explained his first memory of being passionate about animals/reptiles and im wondering just out of pure intrest, whats yours?

Ill start... My first memory was stroking a goat at the old goat house at chester zoo when i was 3! Soooo...... WHATS YOURS?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Redware Posted - 24/06/2013 : 22:03:06
Well my family always had pets in the house but here is the first time I held a snake, 20ish years ago! Sorry for those that have seen the pick before. Its a scanned in Polaroid of me in the Isle of Wight Zoo, holding a Burmese python!

and here is the "now" shot with Willow

Mort13 Posted - 24/06/2013 : 21:40:23
I've always loved animals. I was never allowed any pets though despite constant nagging to my parents so used to spend ages in the garden playing with bugs, had countless pet caterpillars as a child lol. The fascination has never left. Inbetween playing with bugs and bringing baby birds home I was always reading about animals or watching nature documentaries.
The real crunch came when on holiday with my parents. While walking with my dad we came across a grass snake in the middle of a road. I picked it up and took it to a woodier more sheltered area. My dad wouldn't do it (probably thought it was venomous so got me to do it instead haha!). I was hooked on reps from then on but it took me some years till I got my first, a pair of beardies.
Coal Posted - 24/06/2013 : 10:41:59
I've just always loved animals :D When I was younger I watched a lot of animal documentaries which got me interested in nature, and after a while this turned into a general interest in all areas of science though biology has always been my real passion. I've always wanted to be surrounded by animals and had pets all my life despite my dad being the exact opposite of an animal-lover. As much as I loved my Guinea pigs, finches, fishes and one cat called Felix, I was always fascinated with reptiles, particularly snakes. Unfortunately my mother drew the line there; she wasn't really afraid of them but for reasons I can't fathom she had a problem with the idea of one being in the house. When I went off to uni residences I obviously had to leave my little menagerie behind, but when I moved into my first house I began craving pets again. I wanted something that was moderate to low maintenance (so no cats or dogs) as I would be out of the house a lot, and my first thought was finches. Unfortunately though one of my housemates is allergic to the dust from bird feathers and highly asthmatic besides, so that idea was abandoned. Eventually I was drawn back to reptiles, and realised that as I'd moved out, I could finally have a snake! The ensuing research ignited my passion for the critters, and I have loved them ever since :)
Falice Posted - 22/06/2013 : 16:15:27
I love reading everyones stories I've just always been an animal lover as well, I guess part of the reason might be because my grandparents live 5 minutes away from Longleat and my grandad used to work there up until a few years ago. So as a child I used to be taken there all the time and I loved it....Still do!
The reptiles have always been my favourite, especially snakes and I've wanted one for as long as I can remember but my mum would never have allowed it, so I had to wait until I moved out. My earliest memory of holding a snake was when I was really young at some place kind of like Woodlands I think, and there was an area where you could handle some animals, I just remember holding some kind of albino python and I held it right up against my cheek for a photo lol. The only thing that has stopped me from having a house full of snakes and other beasties is money
AcidicAngel Posted - 22/06/2013 : 14:53:54
We have...
3x Cats(2 mine, 1 mums)
1x Bearded Dragon(Mums)
2x Corns(mine, obviously )
2x Tropical Fish Tanks(Also mine XD)
lupi lou Posted - 22/06/2013 : 12:45:06
I've always loved animals. I can't remember how old I was a the time, but I was in a pet shop with my mum and Aunt we were looking at the snakes I think they were garter snakes and I asked if I could have one I was promptly told no. So that set me off with the snakes, 8 set the wheels in motion though as I initially started working with him at the college and had gotten quite attached to him. When I was told he was available for re-homing that sealed my fate really
I've always wanted Rats too but can't have any while were are mum's as she's adamant that they are vermin she won't let me have a boa either so mean!! Although that said I wasn't supposed to get 8, Jinx, the gerbils and Jeff....
Moppet Posted - 22/06/2013 : 12:08:14
I've just always been interested in animals, I don't remember when it first started. Although I do remember when I first became interested in snakes. I was very young, 2/3 I think and we were visiting a wildlife oasis where they had a reptile section. The keepers brought out royal pythons and everybody got to hold them. They used to put them round kids necks which makes me cringe now that I think about it but as a kid I thought it was the best thing ever.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:07:34
Always welcome :D
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:04:17
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

I actually burst out laughing at your post slinkey :L

Haha, well thank you
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:00:43
I actually burst out laughing at your post slinkey :L
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 19:55:46
Wow i feel a bit boring now haha, you lot are telling stories about retics and boas and all ive got is stroking a goat! Hehe
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 18:34:59
Haha ace name!
serena_08 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 18:30:12
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

Personally ive just always been different and liked 'non norm' pets as everyone tends to just gofor cats and dogs, where as i wanted rats, snakes and frogs. Only one i havnt moved up to yet is froggies :)
But i always loved going to the reptile parts of zoo's. They are just so interesting :)

same! although I DO have a frog, a Fire Belly Toad named Snoop Froggy Frog!!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 12:40:41
Personally ive just always been different and liked 'non norm' pets as everyone tends to just gofor cats and dogs, where as i wanted rats, snakes and frogs. Only one i havnt moved up to yet is froggies :)
But i always loved going to the reptile parts of zoo's. They are just so interesting :)
herriotfan Posted - 21/06/2013 : 11:44:36
I've had animals around me all my life so they've always been part of the family.
I didn't develope a passion for them as such, I've just always loved them.
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2013 : 10:44:36
Well 7 was the earliest I could hold the big boa because she was heavy XD I was around them from the age of around about 3-4 years old but I didn't hold any of them till about 5 because the smallest I held was a fully grown Royal so still heavy lol.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 21/06/2013 : 07:24:54
My Nanna had a reticulated python that had the run of the house and I first met it when I was 5. My uncles worked for the Merchant Navy and one had brought it home from heaven only knows where as he liked the look of it.

He would cuddle round me as I sat watching TV when I was little and was as docile as a puppy. I *now* know why I wasn't allowed to see him eat (he was fed fresh kill rabbits from the butchers) but that is where my love of snakes came from.

My husband wasn't so sold on the idea of a retic in the house, so a corn was absolutely perfect for my his needs

He was a little unsure at first, but now is taking my little girl over, wanting to feed her and all sorts of things like that. She has only just started feeding off the tongs and he has already had a go.

The children weren't so sure until she arrived, but she has won them over completely. Even my neighbour's little girls (4 and 5) have been round to meet her and weren't in the least bit fazed, apart from arguing as to whose turn it was to hold her
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 05:45:49
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

Yeah we had a family friend who had boa's and royals so I was introduced to them then A 7 year old with a 10ft Boa... XD

Haha thrown in the deep end can sometimes be the best way!
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/06/2013 : 23:44:19
Yeah we had a family friend who had boa's and royals so I was introduced to them then A 7 year old with a 10ft Boa... XD
Slinkey23 Posted - 20/06/2013 : 23:26:02
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I always wanted to be a vet after working a Saturday morning with one many many moons ago, however I never made it all the way, which I regret a lot. I have always have loads of animals and reptiles esp just amaze me. I would love to work at a zoo, my dream job.

Its never too late to make it all the way, keep trying! If you want it hard enough you will get it. I would also love to work in a zoo im currently looking into an online diploma in zooligy and animal welfare. Ive also recently applied for some volunteer work at a local farm, should be a cv boost for any future positions that come up!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000