The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Interesting feeding reaction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hayleylsl Posted - 20/06/2013 : 21:36:30
Hi :-)

I have had my Amel. Motley corn Boris for about 4 months now, he is ace in every way and seems to be happy in his little life, he eats well, sheds well, poos well.

I have a question about his feeding. He was on fuzzy mice (defrosted), and whilst he always ate them he never struck at them and didn't seem all that interested in them. Last week I decided to try him on a small rat pup (defrosted!) and was very surprised at his reaction- he really struck at it- I had never seen him move so quickly or even strike at his dinner before. He had another rat pup this evening and he struck at this one even faster- it was quite amazing to watch.

I just wondered why he would do this? The mice and rats were pretty much the same size, and it isn't a problem at all I was just curious as to why he might react like this.

I know rats are higher in fat then mice per gramme, and wondered if this would have anything to do with it? And I know I'm putting a human perspective on it but he seemed to "enjoy" the rats a lot more!

He's my first snake and as I said above I've had Boris for about 4 months now.

Thanks!

Hayley
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hayleylsl Posted - 22/06/2013 : 20:54:51
Very, very interesting- thanks for the replies :-)

The scent thing seems to be the general consensus although striking at a prey because it's perceived as more of a threat is also very interesting too- I will see how he goes along.

I was aware that rats were more calorific than mice even if the physical shape is the same but I wanted him to have a treat (there's me humanizing him again!) I will see what he is like with a fuzzy next feed- hopefully he wont get a taste for rats as I don't want him to get fat!

ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:38:48
wish i did. It does very much interest me :)
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:37:34
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

intriguing thoughts :o

I have too much spare time in work to think about these things haha!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:34:20
intriguing thoughts :o
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:31:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

That's an interesting concept Slinkey, although I'm not sure how much it applies to our captive bred corns.

I wonder if bieng captive bred would make a difference? I know for example a lion born in a zoo wouldnt know how to hunt due to not bieng taught by the older pride members but snakes are different, they are solitary and learn how to hunt based on pure instinct. If they lost this instinct biend captive bred then surely they wouldnt strike or constrict at all, sorry about the essay haha
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:25:05
Well i assumed scent would be a factor, if they see multiple levels of light, then scent and other senses must be on a different scale to ourselves aswell :)
Kellog Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:21:12
That's an interesting concept Slinkey, although I'm not sure how much it applies to our captive bred corns. I had exactly the same response as you when I moved Silvi over to rat fluffs, Hayley, and I'm sure it's to do with the different smell....which is too subtle for us to notice. I've heard of some snakes refusing to eat mice once they've tried rats.

As a33272 has said, what we like can make us fat ! Did you realise that the equivalent of a rat pup is a large mouse ?? That's why you need to be careful when feeding them. It's fine as long as you are aware of it and space the feeds out more than you would for mice.

Xxx
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:20:11
ive no doubt hehe
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:14:34
quote:
Originally posted by ScaryVonHayleystine

That makes a lot of sense slinkey...made me rethink about how corns are in the wild :)

Haha ive got quite the brain to match my humour hehe
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:09:17
That makes a lot of sense slinkey...made me rethink about how corns are in the wild :)
Slinkey23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:02:11
My slinkeys only just taking off the tongues now, my guess is that in the wild pinkies would be hidden away in a nest, and wont move much. Why waste energy striking? As they become fuzzies they become a bit more active so they start striking, after they grow a bit more and become even more active they could then be a potential cause of injury (scratching, biting or kicking ect) hence why they strike and constrict, to prevent any injuries to themselves!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 12:35:58
As some have said, scent could be why, also difference in shape as rats are fatter little things could be a possibility. And ofcourse taste, maybe its because its technically different as it created variety. Boris could have just been bored and was like 'oooh new food!'
lotabob Posted - 21/06/2013 : 00:48:48
My corn took a few months to start striking and constricting stuff. Might just be coincidence but more than likely the rat smelled stronger than the mouse.
jenjen23 Posted - 21/06/2013 : 00:03:33
Basil only started striking once he was on fuzzies, I wonder if it is because an older mouse is more of a challenge/could be a threat, so needs to be attacked more vigorously? Could be that yours sees the rat as more of a challenge? Just a theory anyway, it is the evolutionary biologist in me
a33272 Posted - 20/06/2013 : 21:43:02
Generally its the smell/taste that attracts them. But just like us the stuff that tastes good makes ya fat lol. Did u ever try heating the mice up?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000