The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Wood for the snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakkke_123 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 19:52:13
The previous owner of my snake said that he enjoys climbing and he is always climbing on the lighting in his tank. Unfortunately I do not have any wood for the snake to climb up/on. I was thinking of searching for wood in my garden, I know not to use vine or pine wood. What would be a suitable type of wood for the snake and how would I prepare the wood?

Also my snake is in its shedding stage (I think) , His eyes have gone bluey/cloudy and his skin has gone discoloured, am I right in thinking that he is in his shedding stage? I have been told not to handle him to much because his defence would of gone right up

edited to add Jakkke_123's edit, by Kellog
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/06/2013 : 13:02:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I would GUESS he'll shed around the end of next week, but all snakes differ and they also differ with different sheds. Usually mine have cloudy eyes for about 5 days and then shed about 4 days after they've cleared, but I've had Kellog do a 'double blue' on me where he went blue, his eyes cleared and I waited for him to shed but his eyes then went blue again and in the end it was about 2 weeks from when he first clouded over to when he shed. You just have to let nature take its course .

Xxx

Agreed! Sakana starts to pale down one day then about a week later her eyes go blue, then 2 days later they clear, and another week later she sheds. She takes over 2 weeks for a full shed everytime. Cereus on the other hand sheds in one week lol.
Kellog Posted - 20/06/2013 : 13:00:07
I would GUESS he'll shed around the end of next week, but all snakes differ and they also differ with different sheds. Usually mine have cloudy eyes for about 5 days and then shed about 4 days after they've cleared, but I've had Kellog do a 'double blue' on me where he went blue, his eyes cleared and I waited for him to shed but his eyes then went blue again and in the end it was about 2 weeks from when he first clouded over to when he shed. You just have to let nature take its course .

Xxx
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/06/2013 : 00:33:46
Jakkke_123, I'm sorry it's been a long time but my mum jumped on the PC. I have the pictures up in case you haven't seen them I put them up a while a go but only just got time to let you know lol.

Edit: I keep reading your username as "Jakke_123" not "Jakkke_123" Sorry about that.
Jakkke_123 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 22:22:09
Thanks for the info Kellogs, He is due for feeding on Friday night, Since he is due to shed I will leave it until he has fully shed. I have only just noticed he has gone blue, he has only been blue for maybe 1 full day. When is it likely he will shed Kellog?

Kellog Posted - 19/06/2013 : 21:13:06
You've had great advice so far Jacob , unsurprisingly. This is a list of Toxic plants , which will help you work out what wood to avoid. As for preparing it, this is quite a good thread on How to prepare wood .

It does sounds as though your corn is 'blue'. As Herriotfan has said, people do things differently and snakes differ as to how they behave when they are like this. During this stage their eyesight is compromised and they can be very stressed, which is why I don't handle or feed any of mine when they are 'blue'. His eyes will clear and he will look normal again for a few days before he eventually sheds. This gives you more information on Shedding and dealing with shedding problems .

Hope that helps .

Xxx
Donnie Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:52:25
Just get some logs/branches from the woods or wherever and as long as they have not just been cut and the wood is still damp you can just chuck them straight into the viv. There is no need to bleach/bake or do anything apart from maybe a quick clean before it goes into the viv.
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:49:52
Will put them up now for you Jakke_123 Herriotfan, lol no problem. Lee, hence the boiling It's just as good. I don't have a big enough oven to bake 3ft long branches XD
Lee Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:48:14
Oven baking would be the best option to kill off any insects/eggs etc inside the wood.
herriotfan Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:45:55
Ooooops, I'm sorry I meant to help you with the wood question too and forgot after I'd done shedding!
Thanks AcidicAngel for doing such a great job.
Jakkke_123 Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:40:57
I would love to see the photos AcidicAngel. Thanks for the Info guys
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:37:09
I recently(yesterday) actually went out to the local woods near me to get some more branches for my corn snakes Basically, Beech, Birch and Oak are all safe as far as I'm aware since that's what my two have in their vivs. I'll put some pictures of how I have them set out in the Corn Snake Photo's section if you'd like to see them.

To prepare it I boiled it in the bath with water from the kettle but if you have an oven big enough you can bake it as well apparently. I basically put the branches in my bath, boiled the kettle and poured a full kettle(and a bit more if it needed it) over each piece of wood before filling the bath with warm(not too hot, make sure you can keep your hands in it) water and scrubbed each branch with a scrubbing brush Hope this helps.
herriotfan Posted - 19/06/2013 : 20:34:35
It certainly sounds like he's going into shed mode. Some snakes can be quite stressed during this time because they can't see. Some do feel the need to defend themselves and others will be happy with their regular handlers who's scent they know and trust. You'll just have to be guided by your snake.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000