The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 have a dilemma

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
witchy Posted - 06/06/2013 : 10:47:06
Ok bit of a back story 1st- we have 4 corns- 2 males, a caramel & an anery and 2 females a normal & a ? normal or caramel motley (she doesn't look like a normal but breeding will tell in time). Any hets currently unknown though that may change later this year as the mum of the anery male & normal female has been put with our caramel & the eggs are cooking. These snakes all belong to my daughter Eliza.

In March we bought a lovely bright 3ft hypo from our local reptile shop, she was meant to be my 1st snake- she was active when held at the shop- we had seen her twice over a month & she seemed healthy.
Fast forward 5 weeks & she was back at the shop as she wouldn't eat for us & had lost a third of her weight, about 75g total loss. Another 5 weeks & she still will not eat for them-they have even gone as far as trying live- she cuddles it & fresh kill assist feeding- she spits it out.

Now the shop has suggested its unfair to wait any longer as the outcome is not looking too good so have suggested a 3 ft sub adult snow as a replacement- trouble is Eliza seems to have a problem with pink eyed snakes & this snow was thought to be male until she layed slugs earlier this week.
If we take the snow as a replacement are we taking on different problems? I am drawn towards caramels & hypos & not too sure about white corns. Any decision will be based on temperament too.
We will be going down there today to take a look & ask a lot more about her- but what do you think? Should I be looking at something else which will better fit with what we have? What questions should I be asking? I don't want to end up regretting anything lol
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 09/06/2013 : 08:31:25
I would have done exactly the same thing as you with regard to breaking the '7 day rule' and I'm so pleased she's eaten . It doesn't surprise me that the shop thought she'd finished, Silvi surprised me with the couple she laid after the main clutch....but then they were about half the size of the original slugs. I'd even had her out and fed her before she laid that final one, which was a real surprise.

I'm glad you like her, and it's also wonderful hearing about how involved your daughter is with the snakes . Wish my kids took even a small bit of interest .

As for names, I can't help you I'm afraid....I'm useless at them and had to get a friend to name my latest one, Asher. Interesting name, Mold !! If you want some inspiration then there are just a few suggestions in this thread on Snake names .

Xxx
witchy Posted - 09/06/2013 : 00:19:09
Yep I like her... She seems very sweet & calm,& since Eliza is very involved in their care I'm happy to go along with her.
I think they thought she had finished laying.. she hid them well. She's passed about 14 in total.
I've broken the 7 day settling in rule & decided her need to eat overruled that so offered a small meal, which she ate with gusto.
As for a name... I'm waiting for the right name to come... Hopefully it won't take too long lol but were open to suggestions, the other ones are called Bob, Geraldine, Dale & Mold.
Kellog Posted - 08/06/2013 : 19:21:16
That's really interesting about Eliza liking the snow when she saw it....I'm so pleased, for both of you . I'm assuming YOU liked her as she is YOUR first snake?? It will be interesting to see how her colours change as she gets older.

I've been through my female laying slugs, a couple of years ago and this year. As long as she's a good weight, it hopefully won't be an issue....although I'm surprised the shop was happy moving her when she was still laying . Silvi laid 9 this time, I think, then another a few days after, about half the size, and again a small egg about 10 days later !! Hope she recovers ok and eats soon.

Name??

Xxx
witchy Posted - 08/06/2013 : 10:43:02
Thanks for your replys.... Surprisingly Eliza liked the snow, who has lovely pink tones with hardly any yellow & Eliza decided that since her eyes are white with only a red pupil that she wasn't creepy looking at all so we have a new snake, yay lol
Since coming home she's laid another 4 slugs! But she's done now & resting.
Will pop some pictures up later.
herriotfan Posted - 07/06/2013 : 16:04:48
Oh dear, that must be so difficult for you and very distressing.
I will say that if there's anybody who doesn't like the red/pink eyes then maybe a snow is not the best. That's a matter of choice and of course you will know for sure when you meet her.
I'd ask what else they have in stock as well as the snow. They might have another snake or two you could handle. You never know the perfect snake with the colour and temperament could be in a back room just waiting for you! Good luck, whatever happens.
Kellog Posted - 07/06/2013 : 13:05:27
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday Rachael. I'm also sorry for what you went through with your first snake, that must have been very distressing .

I totally understand where Eliza is coming from with the red-eyed snakes, I am exactly the same. BUT I do wonder that if I saw one in real life there is a chance it might capture my heart, whatever its eye colour. As far as I know there aren't any specific problems related to snows, but I'm no expert. One thing I will say is that the fact she's laid slugs means its quite likely she will again other years. This isn't an issue as long as she's a good weight and healthy, but is something to think about.

You've probably made up your mind by now, but it really is down to what captures your heart....and whether you are looking to breed from it in the future.

I look forward to hearing what you've decided.

Xxx
mjpeters Posted - 06/06/2013 : 11:54:13
Oh dear,poor you!I'm no expert on morphs but you could look on Ians vivarium.I know what you mean about those pink eyesyuck! But I do have a sweet little snow girl bought expressly to breed (one day,hopefully)with Inky my Ultramel Anery Stripe because the outcome would be a lot like Inky.Snow's are useful as they are recessive to many morphs (again Ians viv has a corn calc to work outcomes).
I guess at the end of the day its all a matter of personal choice-I'm not a fan of Yellow/Orange snakes BUT we have a lovely 'Tango'd'amel with a Heart pattern on his head,and have just bought a viv that had a lovely Gold dust which is as yellow as you could get and she's staying
Enjoy the opportunity to chose a new snake-pics please when you've got her

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000