The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 some advise please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
samjam Posted - 14/05/2013 : 21:47:03
I am slowly setting up big boy vivarium for Oscar please can you all advise me on what is the best heat source to get for example mat?ceramic bulb ? Other bulb? And also what locks fit a vivexotic 4ft sliding doors? I have bought komodo lock but there is not enough gap between the glass to fit it. Thanks Jack xxx and Oscar
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
_spadey_ Posted - 16/05/2013 : 11:37:01
Not sure if this thread is still active but I might as well throw in my experience.
I try too take the best of both worlds with my heating requirements.
I have a heat matt underneath my vivarium (I have a glass floor so heat conducts more easily =D)that warms the substrate up without the risk of my snake burning himself.
I also have a external heat lamp (using a DIY store conical bulb) that warms one end of the vivarium. I have a gauss lid top and a cone heat guard so that it heats up the tank but my snake cannot get within 5 inches of the bulb ensuring he cannot burn himself.
These are of course both on thermostats with the bulb on a dimming stat, Digital thermometers show a consistent range between 29-29.5.
As for ceramic bulbs I have used them in the past, but would opt for a normal bulb. They kick out an extraordinary amount of heat and are much more efficient, therefore the economical choice. However I use my bulb as a light source for viewing my tank which is on a timer circuit. However this is only my preference yours could be different and so I would encourage you to try both.
This setup has served me and Slither very well for the past 4 1/2 years and I would highly recommend it. Hopefully you can find the best setup for you and Oscar and I wish you the best of luck in your keeping.
lupi lou Posted - 16/05/2013 : 11:10:39
quote:
Originally posted by cornelious

Sorry to butt in lol, but does everyone bury the heat mat under substrate, or is it beat to leave it on top ?

you can put substrate over the top of mats it just has to a an thin covering
Kellog Posted - 16/05/2013 : 08:28:49
You are right about there being so many different opinions Jack, but I think that it comes down to your own preference at the end of the day, because both methods are fine as long as they are set up properly. There is an argument that corns get their heat from their bellies, therefore heatmats are the way to go....but I don't think there is any proof of that.

I use mats because that was the way my first corn's viv was set up when I got him, I'm a bit like Smartbunny in that I'm lazy and mats are easier to instal ....and, most importantly for me really, I prefer them aesthetically because there isn't a bulb with a guard hanging down. I don't know much about how ceramic bulbs etc work, but I like the fact that the lights I have in the vivs are on timers and have a day/night schedule, for my benefit obviously, not the snakes. I'm not sure whether the heat bulbs would dim or off when the viv reached its required heat?? As I said, I'm clueless where they are concerned. My set-ups have worked well, with heatmats, thermostats and digital thermometers, for all the years I've had corns and I don't see any reason to change . BUT it is down to what I like....which might be totally different to you !

Xxx
Thorne Walker Posted - 16/05/2013 : 05:03:30
In my signature there is a link to my setup..

TL:DR I use mats and bathroom tile to create buried underground space...

ETA: Monster uses a supplemental basking bulb to create a daytime rise and a hot spot for basking (He's a Russian rat snake, they do that) nothing special just a 35 watt flood in a clamp light.
cornelious Posted - 15/05/2013 : 23:27:14
Sorry to butt in lol, but does everyone bury the heat mat under substrate, or is it beat to leave it on top ?
samjam Posted - 15/05/2013 : 23:07:53
Thanks to you all. I now feel much more knowledgeable but I am still unsure what way to go lol. thanks Razee good points ,it's confusing when we have too many options.Any other opinions would be much appreciated xxx jack
lupi lou Posted - 15/05/2013 : 21:14:04
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Because I am lazy, and you have to fit bulbs and bulb guards to the viv etc, then they hang down in the viv... Mats you just plonk in the bottom and cover with a little substrate and you're done :P

^^this^^ also I am a bit OCD and don't like the look of bulb guards they look unsightly although they are a must. With the heat mat you can hide it
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 19:06:12
Because I am lazy, and you have to fit bulbs and bulb guards to the viv etc, then they hang down in the viv... Mats you just plonk in the bottom and cover with a little substrate and you're done :P
Razee Posted - 15/05/2013 : 18:38:44
I use heatmats on a pulse thermostats in both my vivs at the moment. I was ( and still am ) considering ceramics, as I'd like the ambient temperature to be a bit higher. I know they can warm up on a heatmat, but ideally I'd like to provide a range of various temperatures, and with the mat, you just have the mat, and the rest of the viv is room temperature - cold in my case. If I ever needed to raise the general temperature in the whole viv - like if my snakes were ill - I couldn't do it with just a mat.
On the other hand, I'm worried, that with ceramics, the general temperature will be maybe more even ( and warm) all over the viv, with a cool spot hard to create. Plus, one of my snakes is quite shy, and definitely wouldn't come out to bask, so how would I provide a warm hide? That's where the mat suits me most... Ceramics can also dry the air a lot, and use much more power, than heatmats.
I wouldn't go for bulbs, as the light wold have to be on permanently ( on and off on a dimmer ) to keep the temperature, and the shyer of the snakes would NEVER come out.
samjam Posted - 15/05/2013 : 18:21:19
Thanks for your replies xxx can I ask why you all prefer heatmats to ceramic ceramic bulbs ??? Please can you advise me on the good and bad points of each option ? I will of course have stats and digital thermometers with both. .sorry if this is a silly question I just want to get what is best for Oscar.Thanks lupi lou for the advise on the lock xxxxxxxx
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 09:46:29
I use a mat and stat in my 4ft as well - and rubber wedges in the door :)
lupi lou Posted - 15/05/2013 : 08:32:57
I have mine set up like Kellog with mats, stats and digi thermometers. Think some people have found if you knock out the little kink in the viv lock it will go in, I use wedges in my viv doors.
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2013 : 22:54:47
As far as heating is concerned it is down to personal preference. I use mats with all of mine, controlled by thermostats and monitored by digital thermometers....but I know others use ceramic bulbs or heat bulbs.

You might find this thread on Setting up an adult corn snake - My 101 helpful.

I know I've got locks on all my vivs, to stop my snakes from getting out , but no idea what they are....I'm useless !!

Xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000