The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Cola's lost the plot...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tk72 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 13:15:19
Just gone to change her water and got the biggest tail rattles ive ever seen or heard. Moved her hide to have a look and when I put my hand near she struck three times. Got a big fright. She has never done that before and she scared the bejesus out of me. Got her out and she was fine. Changed the water and put her back for an hour or so and tried again. This time she launched half her body length to get my hand as I tried to lift her out half way down her body. She has only been in her new viv for a week and we left her alone to get used to it. Hope she is just settling in as if she does that to the kids they will go mental. And my OH will have an excuse to make her leave as she really does not like snakes at all. Any ideas why she has gone all crazy. Or anyone else experience the same when they rehoused theirs. Just gonna have to get her out more too I think.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 18/05/2013 : 17:30:38
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Just to throw a spanner in the works,it may just be the time of year. I've a few snakes that are erm a little tetchy at the mo. Having to use the lid as a shield with the hognose as she's been stropping when I go to change her water or feed her. Kalypso (corn) tagged me for the first time the other week and as for Domino (king) he's changed from a perfectly handleable snake to an absolute terror overnight, biting and constricting my hand. This has been within the last month or so lol.

Was going to say that myself :p my most cuddly will have a little tail rattle at me during this time.
tk72 Posted - 18/05/2013 : 14:18:24
have had two strike and rattle free days up to now so hopefully she is ok now. fingers crossed.
Razee Posted - 16/05/2013 : 21:54:55
Funny you should say that, Mort - this breeding season has changed Little T quite a lot. After 3 months of constant roaming, he's now stopped, and is not interested in getting in Bazil's viv anymore. But he's now quite shy, and doesn't want to come out of the viv anymore.
My nephew's male corn ( CB 11 ), suddenly started to bite - he was the tamest, kindest snake ever - until couple of months ago. I think it's made my nephew quite nervous of the snake now ( I'm first in line for re homing :-) ... )

Hopefully, when this breeding season kerfuffle is over, they'll become all nice again...
Mort13 Posted - 16/05/2013 : 18:04:57
Just to throw a spanner in the works,it may just be the time of year. I've a few snakes that are erm a little tetchy at the mo. Having to use the lid as a shield with the hognose as she's been stropping when I go to change her water or feed her. Kalypso (corn) tagged me for the first time the other week and as for Domino (king) he's changed from a perfectly handleable snake to an absolute terror overnight, biting and constricting my hand. This has been within the last month or so lol.
tk72 Posted - 16/05/2013 : 12:25:03
Thanks spadey. No changes other than viv. She was always on the floor and no other pets to annoy her. And no dinner to take in account as always wash before and after holding. Gonna get her out a bit more as probably left her in to much if being totally honest.
_spadey_ Posted - 16/05/2013 : 11:55:41
Do you have any other pets that might walk past the viv and scared your snake?
Was the old viv off the floor? If so increased vibrations such as just walking near it or hovering up could be new to your snake which might be scaring it. (there was a similar story too this which the problem was a viv on the floor and the vibrations that the snake could feel)
Could you have possibly been preparing some dinner, i.e. chicken, that the snake might associate with a feed time, thus showing increased aggression?
These are just my suggestions but I am sure others will have better ones for you, cool snake by the way =)
Kellog Posted - 16/05/2013 : 08:42:41
No, not at all....2 of my vivs are. Just wondered if she had been off the floor before she was moved into the viv, in which case the change in position might be another reason for her being unsettled.

Xxx
tk72 Posted - 15/05/2013 : 21:08:01
Yes both on the floor. Is that a problem ?
Kellog Posted - 15/05/2013 : 19:43:14
She's a spoiled little snake! That's a great viv set-up . So glad she's beginning to behave herself. It will just take time and patience....and nerves of steel, which you obviously have .

Was her RUB on the floor, like the viv is?

Xxx
tk72 Posted - 15/05/2013 : 18:14:08
Bit better today. Few tail rattles and hissing but no striking. Gave her a rub with a leaf out of her viv first then put hand in nice and flat and slow. Let her smell me before picking her up and didn't move when she rattled although I wanted to. Will keep getting her out twice a day for the next few days and hopefully she will calm down.
tk72 Posted - 15/05/2013 : 11:30:52
thanks all. she has two hides and loads of branches an a couple of logs to hide in/under. The viv is all wood and had her in a rub before that. here is her viv. i have taken pics of it with big branch out then put it back in.

with big branch in

and here she is looking for my finger. Little minx

Edited by Kellog to remove code
Kellog Posted - 15/05/2013 : 10:38:28
Just a thought Terry, is it a normal wooden viv she's moved into or a glass terrarium? If its glass, then she's exposed all around and that could be scaring her.

Xxx
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 09:51:26
I hope she settles down soon for you - as above is she due a shed? Corno always rattles at me if she's going into blue. Otherwise just give her a little longer to settle into her new viv, and if she really doesn't settle down even with loads of hides and foliage etc in there she may need to go back into the smaller setup for a bit longer?
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2013 : 23:08:25
I'm sorry to hear this Terry....I know it's the last thing you need, especially if you have a partner who doesn't like snakes and kids who will be scared . All I can think is that it is a reaction to the move into the new viv. I'm assuming temps are ok? Has she eaten since she's been moved?

I echo what Lupi Lou said, mainly about whether she's got enough cover. Being in the bigger space she could easily feel threatened, which is why she's attacking whatever comes towards her. Making sure there are lots of hides, plants, branches, rocks, etc, for her to disappear into will make her feel happier.

All you can do is persist with her. Don't be put off by her actions, although I know it's a bit disconcerting. Just be calm and patient. If you have a look in the Handling tips you'll find a method called 'patting down', which may work with her.

Don't despair Terry. Your lovely Cola is still there, she just needs some time and careful handling.

Xxx
mjpeters Posted - 14/05/2013 : 21:42:25
Yikes! I know how you feel,I was given the 'strike treatment'by one of my little ones,so I left her alone and the next day was rewarded by a lovely complete shed and my normal laid back snake
tk72 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 17:34:11
Thanks. Hope she is just a bit moody. Can't have her doing that to the kids. And only just bought brand new viv, heat mat and a thermostat. Spent near £100 getting her happy only for her to go all demonic on us.
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/05/2013 : 16:22:09
wow i really hope she just needs to settle in new viv
lupi lou Posted - 14/05/2013 : 14:47:29
It could be that she is still feeling unsettled, also could she be due a shed, as it could be combination of new viv and getting ready to shed and feeling insecure. How big is the viv and has she got plenty of cover?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000