The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Broken freezer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boozysuzy Posted - 14/05/2013 : 06:41:47
Just found out that my freezer is broken and my mice are a bit defrosted, but still really cold. Would it be ok to pop them in my other freezer and give them to Cornflake or do I have to bin them? It was a new pack too! The same goes for the moss. Will I have to bin it too or can I just refreeze?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Moppet Posted - 14/05/2013 : 19:09:14
As others have said, as long as mice are still very cold then I would refreeze them. I had a large delivery of mice that came a bit thawed out and froze them as soon as they arrived, I just threw away the warmest ones which had excessive blood from the nose after refreezing and fed the rest to my snakes. They're all fine
Donnie Posted - 14/05/2013 : 18:43:02
You should be fine re-freezing them, lots of people do it if a snake refuses a feed (I personally wouldn't as I heat all mine prior to offering but lots do without adverse effects) and yours aren't completely thawed out (I would in this instance as they aren't completely thawed).
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/05/2013 : 11:27:24
As long as they are still icy chilled it should be OK to refreeze them. It's only once they have actually started to thaw out that I'd think about binning them.
Kellog Posted - 14/05/2013 : 09:17:39
I'm sorry about your freezer....I dread that happening with mine as I've got a great big chest freezer and its normally fairly full.

As Serena has said the moss should be absolutely fine, but I'm not so sure about the mice. You shouldn't refreeze defrosted mice, so it really depends on how much they've defrosted. Personally I'd go by how 'squidgy' they are, if they are at all 'squidgy' I wouldn't risk it but if they are still fairly solid I'd take the chance....but that is only what I'd do!

Xxx
serena_08 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 08:14:53
I'm guessing the moss will be fine as its only moss, and if you have loads of mice and they're still really cold I'd put them back, if its just a few I'd replace them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000