The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Having problems major here!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakkke_123 Posted - 26/04/2013 : 22:48:13
I have a corn snake he is 1.10m long! He is my first snake and he has just been given to me. I have had him for 2 days now but i don't have a heat mat for him. He seems cold when i hold him! I will be getting a heat mat for him in 5 days. Will he be ok without a heat mat for that long? I am also feeding him tomorrow with a medium sized rat. will it be ok to feed him without a heat mat? Will i be able to keep the heat mat in the vivarium with him because i have a wooden one. the base is 3/4 inch thick, so the heat won't get through. Would a medium sized rat be ok for a 1.10m length snake?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakkke_123 Posted - 29/04/2013 : 08:36:23
The mat arrived today but no habistat. Hopefully tomorrow then i will feed him a couple of days after i have fitted everything
Kellog Posted - 29/04/2013 : 02:15:12
Glad you've got them ready Jakob. Might be worth waiting for at least a day after you've fitted the stat before you feed him, to give him a chance to settle down after his viv has been disturbed. That way you can also be 100% sure that the temp is where you want it to be. Hope the thermostat arrives soon.

Xxx
Jakkke_123 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 22:48:58
Picked up a couple of medium sized mice for 89p hopefully he will feed when i get my habistat
Kellog Posted - 28/04/2013 : 21:11:48
Thanks Eeji, hadn't picked up on the fact that feeding hadn't been dealt with properly . A medium mouse can go for anything from 35p to 60p, from below that price to above that price . It all depends on where you buy them. You can buy in bulk, which makes it cheaper but isn't easy to do when you've only got one snake and you don't know how long he'll be on mediums for. Some online shops are RS Reptile Supplies , Premier Exotics and A & N Frozen Reptile Food . Or it's a case of buying from your nearest Pets at Home, pet shop or reptile shop.

Xxx
Jakkke_123 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 11:53:04
Cheers eeji. How much would a single medium sized mouse cost me?
eeji Posted - 27/04/2013 : 22:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by Jakkke_123

Sorry medium mice haha!how often would you reccomend feeding him? Also if i have defrosted the mouse and he doesn't eat it, can I refreeze the mouse and give it him another day?

For a snake that size I would feed a medium every week. Some will say its ok to refreeze mice, but I personally wouldn't for the sake of saving the tiny cost.
Jakkke_123 Posted - 27/04/2013 : 11:58:00
Yeah I have got a large bark hiding place in one end and a large wood shaped tube in the other end with plastic leafs. Ill keep the temp in that region of 27-29oc. He seems to enojy the coconut terrain more than the aspen because he always burros him self under there.

Thanks
Kellog Posted - 27/04/2013 : 11:20:06
You actually want a temp of between 27 - 29oC in the warm end Jakob. If the mat is heating correctly to that temp then it should barely feel warm to you and definitely won't burn him. That's why you need the thermostat, to stop the mat getting any higher and causing what happened to that poor snake in the link I gave you happening .

You only want a sprinkling of substrate over the mat in the warm end, and then make it deeper in the cool end, in case he wants to burrow. I dont have any experience with coconut substrate myself, but as far as I know the loose stuff should be ok, it's very similar to aspen, but the brick/slab of coconut is something to stay well away from. You mention his bark hiding place....I'm assuming he's got 2 hides, 1 in the warm end and 1 in the cool end?

Xxx
Jakkke_123 Posted - 27/04/2013 : 11:05:25
Cheers kellog that helps a lot, I now have an idea on where to place my heat mat and thermostat :D!! I have been told that 25oc is an ideal temp for the snake. If he touches the mat with his skin will it burn him? I will place komodo aspen bed terrain and coconut terrain over the mat and his bark hiding place, but if the snake decides to bury under the terrain and touch the mat will he burn himself at 25oc?
Kellog Posted - 27/04/2013 : 09:52:49
I'm so glad you are getting the thermostat as well as the heatmat Jakob . It really is a vital piece of equipment, along with the digital thermometer. If you need proof that you've done the right thing have a look at Why a stat MUST be used ....you'll be so pleased you are getting one.

As has been said, your snake will be fine going without food for a while. My Kellog hasn't eaten since February because he's thinking of females instead of food . What's best is if you leave him alone, only changing his water and fluffing up his substrate, so he gets used to your smell. He's obviously going to be disturbed when you put the heatmat, stat and thermometer in, so personally I'd leave him a few days after that before feeding him. This thread will give you some idea on how you can put the heatmat in and position the probes - Setting up an adult Cornsnake - My 101 . You don't have to stick the mat down, as is shown. You can either leave it loose, as Isoldael does, or you can cover it with something like vinyl slate, like I do.

It's probably worth looking at I just got my 1st corn snake....what do I do now? And if you have any more questions and can't find the answers using the search option, please don't hesitate to ask. The only silly question is the one you don't ask .

Xxx
Jakkke_123 Posted - 27/04/2013 : 09:10:26
Just ordered the habistat. Thanks for the help!!! I should have my thermostat within 4 days!
Mamma Posted - 27/04/2013 : 08:51:02
Thats fine. I use one of them with Blitzen.

Also, just wanted to say in reg to possibly using tape in the viv, I would avoid. If the snake gets stuck to the tape somehow it can cause scale damage and discomfort to the snake x
Jakkke_123 Posted - 27/04/2013 : 00:31:59
Decided to buy this mat stat to control my heating pad temp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HABISTAT-heat-MAT-STAT-Reptile-Vivarium-THERMOSTAT-NEW-/121001234094?clk_rvr_id=472836325913
Jakkke_123 Posted - 27/04/2013 : 00:24:41
So would this be ok to control the temp of my heat mat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREEPOST-Habistat-Mat-Stat-Thermostat-100w-/190685844756?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item2c65c31514
Moppet Posted - 27/04/2013 : 00:04:49
Habistat thermostats are the best in my opinion. You really shouldn't use a heatmat without a thermostat. They can cause burns and even start fires.
Jakkke_123 Posted - 26/04/2013 : 23:55:34
Nope i wont get my hands on one for 3 weeks. I could place the mat under the cage, it is wood though but its only 3/4 inches thick so i think some heat would get through. Once the heat mat arrives through the post i will place it under neath the cage and place my digital thermometer over the heated spot and see what temp it is. Would that be a better idea?

Also what thermostat do you use or recommend?
Figs Posted - 26/04/2013 : 23:49:50
Its not really worth the risk, no.
If the snake is healthy, 3 weeks without food will do no harm whatsoever!

If temperatures fall too low you might risk respiratory infections so just keep an eye on that - is there no way you could get one sooner?
Jakkke_123 Posted - 26/04/2013 : 23:47:20
So i shouldn't use a heat mat with out a thermostat? I won't be able to get my hands on one for 3 weeks. And i have read that i shouldn't feed my snake without a heat source. So does that mean i cant feed my snake for 3 weeks?
Figs Posted - 26/04/2013 : 23:40:28
quote:
Originally posted by Jakkke_123

I don't have a stat to regulate the temp, I have a digital thermometer so i can keep an eye on the temp. Im skint at the moment so i wont be able to get a regulator for about 3 weeks :/. Is there any tips to keep a heat mat at a constant temp such as 25oc without a regulator?

You can't regulate them reliably without one.
You risk burns as well as temperatures all over the place without a thermosat - see if you can find a cheap one on ebay or if you have any reptile friends see if they have a spare they could lend you for a while
Jakkke_123 Posted - 26/04/2013 : 23:34:25
I don't have a stat to regulate the temp, I have a digital thermometer so i can keep an eye on the temp. Im skint at the moment so i wont be able to get a regulator for about 3 weeks :/. Is there any tips to keep a heat mat at a constant temp such as 25oc without a regulator?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000