The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Talking to your corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sarajoanne Posted - 12/04/2013 : 22:24:11
When I handle my corn snake I do talk to her and it does calm her down as she is a nervous corn and I do talk to her before talking her out of the viv. Do corn snakes recognise your voice? Just want other people's opinions. I know they don't understand what you are saying but do they know it is you before handling or I'm I just imagining it?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Falice Posted - 22/04/2013 : 22:11:04
I talk to mine all the time, Usually in some sort of baby voice haha, people think i'm insane
rockroyal Posted - 22/04/2013 : 15:54:09
i sure do talk to my snakes .
there part of my family
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/04/2013 : 13:04:38
quote:
Originally posted by greenow

I talk to Beatrix all the time just hoping one day she'll come to her name

In a way, Sakana does XD If you leave the door shut and just gently say "Sakana" she starts moving towards the glass to come out lol. May just be that she's picking up on vibrations but she doesn't do it with anything else, I talk to her all the time and she only comes to the glass when I say her name
greenow Posted - 19/04/2013 : 13:00:28
I talk to Beatrix all the time just hoping one day she'll come to her name
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/04/2013 : 03:53:53
I always talk to my pets lol. Snakes, fish, cats... XD The snakes both react differently to me. I always put this down to Sakana's "knowing" me since she was a hatchling and Cereus only "knowing" me for just under a year. Sakana comes out of her viv all alone when I'm talking to her but when I leave the viv door open and wait quietly she edges forward and then backs off and waits for me to talk lol. It's her reaction to me, like she's making sure it's me there before coming out of her safe place. When the viv door is open and I sit and talk to her she comes out and curls up to me around my neck. Cereus has to be picked up out of his viv, he won't come out alone and if he does it takes him hours lol. Sakana also seems to relax more when I speak - She was eating her mouse once and something spooked her and she started to reverse it out of her mouth so I sat and stroked her down her back and spoke to her and she instantly calmed down and continued eating. Cereus just hates anyone going near him when he's eating, Sakana seems to need the comfort. My snakes are... Odd. To sum it up.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 15/04/2013 : 20:09:42
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

I think handling snakes is very therapeutic For me anyway.

I bet if someone were to do a study like that which has been done about watching fish and stroking dogs, handling snakes would lower heart rate etc in snake lovers

I agree entirely, very calming on me!
Moppet Posted - 14/04/2013 : 21:46:42
I think handling snakes is very therapeutic For me anyway.

I bet if someone were to do a study like that which has been done about watching fish and stroking dogs, handling snakes would lower heart rate etc in snake lovers
Kellog Posted - 14/04/2013 : 21:39:11
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

I talk to all my pets. I think it calms me down which they can pick up on too, even if they can't necessarily hear me

I totally agree Moppet. I get laughed at because I call it 'snake therapy' .....but it works for me .

Xxx
Moppet Posted - 14/04/2013 : 21:27:39
I talk to all my pets. I think it calms me down which they can pick up on too, even if they can't necessarily hear me
Sarajoanne Posted - 14/04/2013 : 21:25:42
Thank you soooo much for all your advice, it's nice to know I'm not on my own :)
Sta~ple Posted - 14/04/2013 : 14:33:06
I talk to all animals lol
Mort13 Posted - 14/04/2013 : 09:58:24
Yep I talk to all my animals, even the inverts. I just can't help myself. Falcor gets talked to the most though, he's the one I get out when I'm feeling blue, never fails to cheer me up
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/04/2013 : 19:13:40
I talk to all my pets
Razee Posted - 13/04/2013 : 09:46:49
I always talk to mine, too. I think they can hear at least some sounds, they always poke their heads out, when Hoover or hair dryer is on. I'd say with Hoover, it could be vibrations, but not with the haird drier.
I talk to all my animals, and both my horses, and the cat had learned meaning of some words pretty well now :-).
Was highly embarrassing, though, when I was still riding my old mare - I was talking to her, in the middle of nowhere, when a farmer popped up from behind the hedge - got some strange looks from him...
Kellog Posted - 13/04/2013 : 09:24:56
I've always been led to believe that snakes are deaf and only 'hear' the vibrations and respond to that, so I don't think they recognise voices or tone of voice or anything like that....but I found this article that's quite interesting and seems to indicate that they do HEAR certain frequencies, although it might not be the same for different snake species. http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/12/vibrating-skulls-help-snakes-hear.html

I always talk to my snakes and my family think I'm crazy. I'm so bad that I was shouting at Asher for being such a silly snake....and he was in his viv trying to work his way under a heavy rock, so I wasn't even handling him ! I think they definitely 'recognise' the person who handles them most and also whether a person is nervous/frightened. I think Herriotfan has got it right, they know your smell and associate you with being safe so respond appropriately.

(Sorry, brain fog bad this morning so not explaining myself very well.)

Xxx
herriotfan Posted - 13/04/2013 : 09:05:23
I talk to all my pets. Even the parrot talks to all my pets!!
I'm not sure that they recognise sound as we do but they do pick up on vibrations and your voice must have vibrations. They know your scent and the combination of all things linked to you gives them the security and confidence to settle and be happy with you.
That's my basic opinion for what it's worth.....
paulie78 Posted - 13/04/2013 : 00:03:07
I talk to all my pets just something ive always done even the fish lol some people might think im bonkers but i treat all animals the same way i treat people with kindness and respect even if they cant understand me
mjpeters Posted - 12/04/2013 : 23:37:10
I have carp and cichlids,both these types of fish respond to vibrations and sound,snakes are even more sophisticated (and devious)beasties with sensory mechanisms that I'm sure are able to 'taste'your voice.
All our kids handle one or other of the snakes with confidence.They are at ease doing it,which I think is the key.

Oh-may be a good idea not to have hands that have just been sorting out a freezer full of mice

Slink Posted - 12/04/2013 : 23:31:21
I also talk to my snake and am sure that it comforts her because at times she will just sit in one position when I talk to her and look up at me. I feel a bit silly doing it but I'm sure she recognises my voice (as well as smell etc). She is definitely not as comfortable with other people in my family handling her but I put that down partly to them not being very confident with handling her. I'm glad to hear that other people talk to their snakes :)
Sarajoanne Posted - 12/04/2013 : 22:39:33
Do corn snake bond better with the person who feeds them , will she have a favourite person in the family or have you found it really makes no difference? :)
Just wanted to ask if that's ok?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000