The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Just a warning

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 04/02/2013 : 16:50:50
Feel really sorry for this guy. Not a nice thing to see or read about but may make people more vigilant. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/933574-shop-fire-heat-mat-warning.html

What are your views on the comment of replacing heat mats every one to two years Not heard of this before.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
harry Cornelius Posted - 07/02/2013 : 19:39:48
quote:
Originally posted by Razee

Harry Cornelius, yours is Microclimate, so it should be ok. If you read all of the link, Microclimate came on to the thread and explained, how the newer printed mats are made, and that they are safe.

Saying that, I'm now worried, as I have Komodo mats ( not printed ) - but I've read somewhere, that there's been a product re call on them, with a possible danger of causing a fire? Does anybody know anything about this?

cheers I hadn't read that far. Very interesting read and helped settle my mind at least
Sta~ple Posted - 06/02/2013 : 18:00:57
I imagine named ones are fine, it's the printed ones from Fleabay/China which are dodgy. I question the people asking "where can I get a cheap heatmat/stat from" and then give a link to some very cheap home made jobby and ask if it's ok. Yes accidents and faults can happen with all electrical but I don't believe on skimping on something like heating which people plan to last for years on end.

Never heard of replacing every 2-3 years, not nothing I will be doing. Never had anything wrong with a heatmat, never will hopefully but the amount of times I have been never unlucky with brand new electricals for the first time being plugged in going bang with smoke and overheating, just makes me nervous lol. Faults can be with the product at the start or develope overtime. All you can do is check your mats, which is why I don't like mine stuck down!
harry Cornelius Posted - 06/02/2013 : 13:25:31
quote:
Originally posted by Razee

Harry Cornelius, yours is Microclimate, so it should be ok. If you read all of the link, Microclimate came on to the thread and explained, how the newer printed mats are made, and that they are safe.

Saying that, I'm now worried, as I have Komodo mats ( not printed ) - but I've read somewhere, that there's been a product re call on them, with a possible danger of causing a fire? Does anybody know anything about this?

cheers I hadn't read that far. Very interesting read and helped settle my mind at least
Razee Posted - 06/02/2013 : 12:32:03

smart bunny Posted - 05/02/2013 : 17:47:08
That is so awful :( Most of mine are habistat, the only one I have which is printed is the very first one I got with my initial setup from the pershop when I got Corno, an Ultratherm *gulp!* and on polystyrene under Hermes' faun :O Will be ordering a new one now...
harry Cornelius Posted - 05/02/2013 : 17:35:26
This is a carbon printed mat which will no longer be in use after this weekend
lupi lou Posted - 05/02/2013 : 17:31:05
I've got a printed one that I now intend on replacing!
Jayclk Posted - 05/02/2013 : 16:32:37
Hmm I have 2 printed and to solid
Jayclk Posted - 05/02/2013 : 16:30:43
Doh oh yeah thanks :)
lupi lou Posted - 05/02/2013 : 15:29:36
these a pic of the printed mat on the second page of the link :-)
Jayclk Posted - 05/02/2013 : 03:56:43
The picture of the printed one doesn't work on that link any change of another ?
Moppet Posted - 04/02/2013 : 22:34:30
That is very very scary. Poor bloke and poor animals

Doubly glad mine aren't printed mats, I'm paranoid enough as it is!

Had a guy in a shop today (he worked there) tell me that putting polystyrene tiles under heat mats under fauns (with the gap caused by the little legs and everything still there) causes fires too! 0.o
Apparently it did for him, even with a stat. I thought it was pretty common practice to do that because the heat mats can't seem to warm the viv up enough without!
AcidicAngel Posted - 04/02/2013 : 22:05:34
I read that and looked at my spare mat... It's a Printed Mat
serena_08 Posted - 04/02/2013 : 20:03:41
That's awful :/
ScalySituation Posted - 04/02/2013 : 19:10:34
Cheers Donnie :)
Donnie Posted - 04/02/2013 : 19:09:25
Have a read of this, there are some pics on it showing the different types

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27545
ScalySituation Posted - 04/02/2013 : 18:58:17
whats the printed ones?
Donnie Posted - 04/02/2013 : 18:48:59
I read about this and it confirmed what eeji (I think it was eeji) said on here a few weeks ago regarding printed mats. After reading eeji's post I looked at my mats and I have 2 printed mats so I went and bought 2 new habistat mats to replace them with. Glad I did.
lupi lou Posted - 04/02/2013 : 17:41:25
I went straight up stairs to check my mats after reading that, it has to be said that I am considering changing Jinx's mat(now way too paranoid about it), but I don't think I would change every two years unless there was a problem with the mat of course.
ScalySituation Posted - 04/02/2013 : 17:06:30
Poor soul!

I've never heard of the switch, I keep a spare mat, just incase, i need a better one as the one i got is a bit dodgy

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000