The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Swollen Rat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 08/01/2013 : 06:38:02
I defrosted a rat fluff at the weekend but the snake did not eat it so I thought I would leave it in the viv over night for it. The next morning the rat had not been eaten and it had swollen up, looked like someone had attacked it with a bicycle tyre pump. Is this normal for rat fluffs or do you think they are no good. The fluff came from a new pack of 10 and they look like normal rat fluffs and smell normal as well. I have had mice defrosted and left for 24 hours and the mouse has not changed in appearance in any way.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 09/02/2013 : 09:16:02
Ewwwww thanks for that Staple lol!! Good warning though - when you see swelling... get rid of it quick :p
Sta~ple Posted - 08/02/2013 : 19:26:18
I've only had it happen with pinkies put in a warm place with trouble feeding hatchies. I imagine it can happen often with dead things left alone for too long, swell until they burst :P just the time it takes to kick it can depends I guess on many things. The stage after swollen is truly disgusting x.x
crazyeyes_d Posted - 06/02/2013 : 23:36:43
i just had a simular problem with a pinkie!!
got 2 out the freezer left them to defrost, gave one this morning, but hermi didnt want to eat it i left it while i went to work, and i left the other in a closed box, when he/she (dont know which yet) ate the first tonight, i opened the box to give the second and it had a bubble on it and semlled really really bad, the one that got eaten was ok coz it was still there when i got home but then got eaten, i have put it down to a bad one! defrosted another in warm water and he/she ate that within seconds! does this happen alot though?!
Sta~ple Posted - 13/01/2013 : 10:57:24
Bet it would have stank horrid if you poked it. Barf.
DiffBrookes Posted - 10/01/2013 : 22:05:37
EWWW, like the pigeon off shrek haha
Katie.Dublin Posted - 08/01/2013 : 23:58:04
Ewww lotabob you're rotten! lol
lotabob Posted - 08/01/2013 : 23:53:55
Should have stuck it with something sharp. Would have answered the question and given you a funny story of a windy rat.
Red123 Posted - 08/01/2013 : 19:14:07
Thankfully it didn't pop, I made a quick dash to the rubbish bin though just in case.
Hissyfit Posted - 08/01/2013 : 15:08:49
Eww, that's minging! Hope it didn't pop when you got it out
Red123 Posted - 08/01/2013 : 12:24:31
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

Was it left in Warm end. Was most likely just an expansion of gases.

Yes it was left close to the edge of the heat mat. I've left mice in the same position but never had one swell up like this rat did.
smart bunny Posted - 08/01/2013 : 11:57:09
I don't know.... but I really want to knpow what you bought!!!
a33272 Posted - 08/01/2013 : 11:54:54
Was it left in Warm end. Was most likely just an expansion of gases.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000