The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Striking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lukegriffiths Posted - 07/12/2012 : 23:20:07
My corn is 8 months old and has rarely stroke his food or constrict just wondering why this may be?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fidget Posted - 12/12/2012 : 23:28:04
Fluffy's only had one feed with me, I put it in her feed tank, and she didn't look too fussed, just ignored it, so I picked it up with some tweezers and wiggled it and she struck it - she was so fast, I didn't expect it!
Falice Posted - 12/12/2012 : 23:05:45
Trevor rarely strikes, only ever on his first feed after a shed when he's really hungry, even then it's usually a half hearted strike lol. I have never had a constrict though. Sir Cuthbert the royal however as soon as he see's the rat it's gone within a second...even goes for my fingers when i put him in his feeding box ha.
GRBrett Posted - 12/12/2012 : 16:05:59
Tess never strikes either. I'm convinced I could feed her out of my hand as shes so gentle but have yet grown the minerals to try it!
Kyla Posted - 11/12/2012 : 21:39:28
Ghost didn't strike when I bought her, but after a few feeds she got into it and constricted for the first time a couple of weeks back, but the last time I fed her she didn't bother. They really do all seem very different.
ean632 Posted - 09/12/2012 : 16:15:26
Jake only strikes if the mouse is warm! Daft snake thinks its alive:)
BenjiBoo Posted - 08/12/2012 : 23:45:35
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

I have one the same he leaps out of the tub if i am not quick enough with his mouse

Same happened to me lol his first ever pinkie and he launched him self up before the mouse even entered his RUB good snakey !
Razee Posted - 08/12/2012 : 22:52:21
I hold the mouse in feeding tongs around the "waist " and hold it low down, just walking it along the bottom of the feeding RUB, as it would, if it was alive, bit away from the snake. That gets a good response from Little T., with Bazil, I don't even get that far, he flies at it straight away, even before I manage to get it down to the bottom of the RUB.
The only times Little T did the full on strike and constrict was when he was hungry, grumpy going into blue, or if I put a hide in there, and he is striking out of the hide, otherwise he just doesn't bother and does this miniature strike - from about an inch away. He never constricted pinkies, his full first constrict was on fuzzie or hoper.

coxymk2 Posted - 08/12/2012 : 21:04:43
I swing the mouse by the tail and it sometimes clouts them they don't half get nasty then
Isoldael Posted - 08/12/2012 : 20:58:19
I usually move the mouse around a bit - both my adults strike to that. I think the youngsters will learn as they grow up :)
scottishbluebird Posted - 08/12/2012 : 18:16:36
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

SB, in that case you would have had an interesting evening at my zoo. Vambo struck and intercepted a rat cruising at 4feet. He then constricted it in mid-air when I gave it a wee jiggle.

Now that i would like to see!
coxymk2 Posted - 08/12/2012 : 11:25:21
I have one the same he leaps out of the tub if i am not quick enough with his mouse
Auld Baldy Posted - 07/12/2012 : 23:47:02
SB, in that case you would have had an interesting evening at my zoo. Vambo struck and intercepted a rat cruising at 4feet. He then constricted it in mid-air when I gave it a wee jiggle.
scottishbluebird Posted - 07/12/2012 : 23:42:11
Kellogs is now 2 and has had 2 hardly there strikes, never a constrict, if it happens, will have such a shock!
Moppet Posted - 07/12/2012 : 23:26:54
Some of them just don't bother. All of mine are different in the way they take their food. Andromeda is the only one who strikes every time (and has done right from the start). Apollo has recently started striking and constricting his food, he is 17months old so it may be that Tango will decide to strike and constrict when he is older, or when his food is bigger.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000