The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Advice on Thermostat set up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Darkelf-Lola Posted - 05/12/2012 : 18:43:40
Ok, i have been given lots of good advice & am now looking for some more.

I have bought a Habisat Thermostat to run the heat mat under Lola's viv, but where should the probe be???

The red circle is the thermostat probe & the two blue circles are the digital thermometer probes. I set the thermostat probe at the same level as Lola is likely to spend the majority of her time, like they suggest for the thermometers, but it was recommended to me to push the probe for the thermostat into the bedding, closer to the heat mat, but i found that the thermometer at the warm end of her viv was only reading approx 22 degrees. Even though the thermostat was set at 29 degrees. But when i leave the thermostat probe where it is in the picture, the thermometer reads 27 degrees. Am i doing the right thing???
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darkelf-Lola Posted - 06/12/2012 : 23:16:01
Just a turn of phrase to say i had attached them together, i used heat shrink tube. =o)
Georgina Posted - 06/12/2012 : 22:54:56
Tape? Anytype of sticky tape cannot go in the viv it's mega dangerous e to the snake if it gets stuck. Elastic bands are preferred.
Darkelf-Lola Posted - 06/12/2012 : 22:48:55
I am so happy tonight, thank you, thank you, thank you for all your advice. I have re-arranged Lola's viv so there is only about 1cm of aspen over the heat mat & the thermometer probe is taped to the thermostat probe, which is attached to the bottom of the tank. I have also given her about 3-4cm depth of aspen at the cool end of her viv so she can burrow. We also had a really good play time with Lola, she was really active & curious about me. She is now extremely active in her viv, storming around like crazy!!!!!!!!!

The joy of cornies!!!!
Darkelf-Lola Posted - 06/12/2012 : 00:12:51
Thanks guys, will do that at the weekend when i take her out to feed her. =o)
Razee Posted - 05/12/2012 : 19:14:39
I have the thermostat probe rubber banded together with the thermometer probe ( that way the thermometer tells you what the actual temperature is, sometimes the thermostat might be a bit out ), and both probes are flat on the bottom, over the heatmat.
Mine are held down by a heavy hide, and there's only a very thin layer of bedding over it. Thick layer of bedding will insulate the heat- so you won't be getting much on the surface. You can make the bedding thick on the cold side, for tunneling.
ScalySituation Posted - 05/12/2012 : 18:52:21
ideally the floor, and there should only be a light dusting of substrate over the heat mat
Georgina Posted - 05/12/2012 : 18:51:49
In the middle of the mat directly in contact with the glass I use a hot glue gun to secure the, x
Darkelf-Lola Posted - 05/12/2012 : 18:51:05
Ok, just so i know that im getting it right, i attach the thermostat probe to the thermometer probe & mount them both under the aspen, should i have the sucker cup on the side wall or the floor???
ScalySituation Posted - 05/12/2012 : 18:45:22
attached to the thermometer probe with a elaccy band and flat on the floor under the substrate :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000