The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Hatchling help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rachel Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:04:58
Ok so I left Nyoka for a week then attempted to handle... Safe to say she's not my biggest fan. To be fair when I held her in the shop she bit me 5 times and debated swallowing my hand. But so gorgeous I couldn't leave.

I'm still quite inexperienced, Neidr is basically a teddy bear, he will draw back if I catch him unaware but has never struck or attempted to eat me!

Both snakes are due a feed tomorrow and I'm going to give a short handling session first, but I do admit to feeling nervous. I know the biting doesn't hurt, but sure its very unpredictable! She can and will suddenly launch 80% of her body in any direction she feels like (usually my other hand if I dare put it in range though yesterday sure just tried to get back to bite the hand she got within an inch or so then changed her mind on biting me!)

So yes can anyone advise me on handling my little black and white tail rattling striking worm? Mainly just removing her from the faun, worried about hurting her!

Neidr is in shed again, this time its really noticeable how his colour changes. He had issues shedding last time so gonna make some moss hides (one in each end or just one? He's in a monkfield terranium so not quite viv and not quite faun!)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a2c7 Posted - 07/07/2012 : 15:10:39
Unfortunately our kingsnake waits for you to get her out and THEN tries to eat you.

I think they've all got such big personalities - Neidr you should def keep up with the voice for your snake, it sounds hilarious. "I will destroy you!" Good luck though, from what I've read/heard corn snakes are relatively quick to tame/calm down. Until then you might want to keep 999 on speed dial, in case the savage goes for your jugular.
Elicia Posted - 07/07/2012 : 02:19:11
Ive got a vicious little brute of a king snake and when trying to get her out of the faun ive found the 'get em before they get you' technique works best! I lift up the hide and scoop the whole body up quickly before she has a chance to do anything, once shes in my hand she behaves. Remember to keep her quite close to your body when handling, so she feels more secure. x
Rachel Posted - 06/07/2012 : 22:20:34
Haha same with this one! In the shop I kept giving her a voice "me big snake, eat puny humans rawr" etc.... I did joke about becoming crazy snake lady and I certainly have the crazy part down!
coxymk2 Posted - 06/07/2012 : 22:05:18
I got a 9mth old anery from the pet shop(never handled+maintenance fed) and every day for 2weeks as i did a water change i would leave my hand just outside the hide he was in until he got so nosy he started to come out and everything just progressed slowly from there, within a month he was coming out to me. Hope this helps.
kev 5 Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by Neidr

Haha same with this one! In the shop I kept giving her a voice "me big snake, eat puny humans rawr" etc.... I did joke about becoming crazy snake lady and I certainly have the crazy part down!

lol
Rachel Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:52:22
kev 5 Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:36:18
the hatchling i had was a little savage. it was quit funny, he thought he was a cobra
Rachel Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:25:29
Cheers :-) Totally different the little one, current glaring at me from the opposite corner of the room! He's hidden away bless him, his eyes are very deep blue right now!
kev 5 Posted - 06/07/2012 : 21:21:50
tap on the viv before you get him out so you don't catch him by surprise. i had a few hatchlings like your one. 5-10 min daily handling sessions are best until he calms down a bit. also when you do handle him try not to make any sudden movements or move your hands to quickly. on e of my hatchlings used to bite the thumb of the hand i was holding him in if i moved it suddenly. it will get better with time

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000