The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Coincidence maybe, maybe not?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 28/06/2012 : 13:20:20
Most of my snakes have suddenly started shedding every 4 weeks. Not unusual I know but they were shedding every 6-8 weeks sometimes going as long as 10 weeks. Is it just coincidence that this has co insided with a change of mouse supplier or could it be that the mice I am now buying are more nutritional? The snakes are eating the same size weight wise as they were from previous supplier and I have not had any huge weight gains from any of the snakes. I did wonder if its just the time of year but its never happened before.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 29/06/2012 : 16:23:01
Well I was surprised to discover Corno was in blue again the other day too, only about 4 weeks after her last shed! She's been gradually increasing her time between sheds, but then these last 2 have been much closer together again. I thought she would be slowing down a bit now as she will be 1 in a couple of months!
Red123 Posted - 29/06/2012 : 15:13:35
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

You wouldn't happen to know where the shop gets their mice from would you? Especially as you are just up the road from me. I buy my mice direct so cut out the shop.

No idea sorry. I get mine from Suffolk Reptiles, and the new mice are nice and straight

Don't start me on nice straight mice. The place I buy mine from now are bent, the mice that is . And yes it really irritates me.

Its really strange how several peoples corns seem to all be shedding more frequently. In the last week out of the seven I have 5 have either shed already or are blue. Even one of the leos is shedding every two weeks at the moment. Very strange.
Mort13 Posted - 29/06/2012 : 11:26:52
Hmm,mine have been a lot closer together between shed the last couple of months. I've been caught out by a surprise shed more than once recently. If I remember rightly I had 8 snakes shed within a week too!
Hissyfit Posted - 29/06/2012 : 09:49:16
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

You wouldn't happen to know where the shop gets their mice from would you? Especially as you are just up the road from me. I buy my mice direct so cut out the shop.

No idea sorry. I get mine from Suffolk Reptiles, and the new mice are nice and straight
nickyff Posted - 29/06/2012 : 03:15:36
This is so strange to read, as I've been a bit concerned recently too, because of shedding that seems just a bit too frequent for the size/age of the snakes. I haven't had a change of mice, but all of mine have weirdly gone into synchronised shedding, which means even the big ones are now shedding monthly, where before their sheds were at least 8-10 wks apart.
This week both the adult corns and the adult king snake have shed within two days of each other, and Sharon the not-so-tiddly-any-more is just coming out of blue and about to put on a bright new outfit.

The only one that doesn't seem to be joining in is Numpty, who lives upstairs in my daughter's room. Could it be a smell/pheromone thing, perhaps? Maybe a shedding snake releases a subtle pong into the air that triggers any others nearby? Though why that would happen I have no clue....

wow it's late. I need to go to bed; I think my brane has melted.
Red123 Posted - 28/06/2012 : 18:56:24
Hissyfit Posted - 28/06/2012 : 18:21:14
That's weird, Voldemort has just shed 4 weeks after his last one and that was 10 weeks ago. The reptile shop where I buy his mice has recently changed supplier, and the large mice I'm now feeding him on are the same size as the previous suppliers mediums...so maybe there is something in the change?
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/06/2012 : 14:44:56
I don't know, it might be due to the magnificent summer we are having.

Four of my lot have gone for synchronized shedding within 1 week of each other. This includes Mirkey who has only shed once before since I got him.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000