The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Anyone living near Enfield willing to help?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hasancankan Posted - 03/06/2012 : 03:34:50
I wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully its ok here.

I am interested in getting a corn snake or bearded dragon , and after some extensive research i believe i am prepared to get either one. However there is still one problem which i am yet to solve and i don't feel comfortable purchasing either until i get this resolved. As i have grandparents living abroad i often travel out of the UK and so it would mean i couldnot care for (corn/beardy) during this period .

I want to know if there is anyone living near enfield that would not mind looking after whichever i choose. It would mainly be around summer where i am away for around 6 weeks.

Alternatively does anyone know of a pet shop or animal hotel that would look after my pet near the field area.

Finally is there an alternative snake to a corn that doesn't grow as big but is still suitable for a beginner? Something that will remain around the same size as a yearling cor.

I would be grateful for any help you could give.

hasancankan
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danny Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:20:54
Indeed you would be fine for around 4 days anything over that and you would be pushing it without live food, lights/heat all on timers a adult can be fine with a big bowl of salad for a few days.Some Bearded dragons wont touch veg when adult,when at 18 months plus they should be haveing more veg than live,so in theese cases the best way is not to feed any live for 10-13 days then they are hooked on the veg most people give in due to worrying though wich is understandable but they can go alot longer supriseingly.

Saying all this though if your planning trips away or go away often it proberley best not to have any type of reptile unless you have someone that can pop in daily as has been mentioned.

Danny
a2c7 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:13:31
What about a rosy boa? http://www.reptileexpert.org/rosy-boa-care/
Or a sand boa http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/captive.html

(I don't vouch for these care sheets, but they give a vague idea of these snakes)

Also: it does strike me as not the best thought through course of action, if you're away for 6 weeks at a time and have a pet that is totally dependant on you you'll never be able to completely care for it.
Bearded Dragons get attached to their owners and suffer from 'depression' as I understand it when someone else handles them or their situation changes.
What would happen if your snake needed to go to the vet, who would you trust to do that? I know there are snake boarding houses around the country where they may be able to take care of a snake, but I wouldn't ever trust someone else to look after my pet for an extensive amount of time.
You've probably already thought about this, and I know getting a pet is amazing, but I'd consider the welfare of an animal put into that situation as well.
Georgina Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:03:19
But more could go wrong with a beardy, and an adult would still need more care than an adult corn that feed bi weekly.
danny Posted - 03/06/2012 : 10:11:27
A Adult bearded dragon would be no more maitenance than a corn, but a baby bearded dragon will need feeding 3times daily.

Danny
Okeetee Mick Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:12:02
As Georgina says you'll be lucky to find anyone who will take them in for fear of infection or parasites, not saying in any way yours will pass anything on but most sensible keepers wont take any chances. House snakes are an option.
Georgina Posted - 03/06/2012 : 08:26:35
As for the looking after questions, its difficult as it could bring illness into other peoples collection and you need special insurances. Do you have a friend that can come in every other day to water change (for a corn, a beardie will be more work)

Some milks stay small and western hognose stay small but can be fussy feeders, but are well worth it :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000