The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 New guy here, just a few questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ethancol Posted - 28/05/2012 : 15:47:01
Hey everyone, just joined the forum as I just bought my first snake, he's called Ghost and ill get a picture up shortly!

Before that I got a few questions..

When people put 1.0.0 snake etc. On their signatures, what does that mean?

Secondly, what's the best way to weigh and measure the lengths of a snake,?

Thanks for your time
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mamma Posted - 29/05/2012 : 11:07:33
hi there
smart bunny Posted - 29/05/2012 : 10:22:15
As lotabob posted: Every 5 days is the absolute closest you want feeds

So yes, twice a week is too much.
viraleye Posted - 29/05/2012 : 08:03:49
quote:
Originally posted by Ethancol

Ahhh I see, that makes alot of sense.

I've been working on the basis (only a week long basis so far ) of a pink every 3 days and then every 4 days, so it's twice a week.

Is that too much you think?

I would say that is too often.

When you feed a pink to snakey does it leave a bump in his tummy?
Ethancol Posted - 28/05/2012 : 23:53:12
Ahhh I see, that makes alot of sense.

I've been working on the basis (only a week long basis so far ) of a pink every 3 days and then every 4 days, so it's twice a week.

Is that too much you think?
lotabob Posted - 28/05/2012 : 23:46:23
They can be fed twice a week in the same way they can be fed every other day. They will eat! Its our job to help them develop into strong healthy adults and they need to give their stomachs a break between feeds, not only to roam about and work those muscles but also to allow their gut a rest period as its just not evolved to be in use all the time. Every 5 days is the absolute closest you want feeds, though I have never had a problem with every 7 days and my corn has grown from a 10 gram shoe lace impersonator to a lovely adult.
Ethancol Posted - 28/05/2012 : 23:30:03
Haha that method of measuring it brilliant I'll definitely give it a shot, thanks guys any way.

Oh and another thing, it's recommended here that you feed your snake every 7-10 days however the Reptile shop owner I got him from Advised he can be fed twice a week.

Now I've been doing this and Ghost seems more than happy to eat them, but is this ok i.e. not overfeeding him??
lupi lou Posted - 28/05/2012 : 21:12:21
my computer dosen't let me use it either!! so i just measure 8's shed and deduct 10% to give me a rough idea of lenght
Blackcat Posted - 28/05/2012 : 16:01:17
Hi and welcome.
Figs has answered your questions, the only thing I can add is weigh the tub first and rezero scales if possible before adding snake, if can't rezero just deduct the weight of the tub from that of tub plus snake.
Aplogies for stating obvious about weighing, not intending to insult any ones inteligence.
With regards to the length thing, for some reason my computer doesn't let me use it - prob something I am doing wrong, lol.
cobweb251 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 15:53:59
hello and welcome
Figs Posted - 28/05/2012 : 15:50:51
Hello and welcome

The numbers mean the numbers and sex of animals people have - 1.2.3 corn snakes for example would mean 1 male, 2 female and 3 unsexed corns
Weighing is pretty easy; get yourself some digital scales (i got mine from B&M for about £6). Stick snake in a box and whack 'em both on the scales!
Measuring length is a little more tricky... theres a program somewhere to help, i'll see if i can find it

Edit:
Tada! http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000