The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Would you mind if....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Indelible Posted - 24/05/2012 : 01:40:51
Hey guys,
Just a quick one, my mate has made this Survey and has kindly asked if i'd post it on here for them.
It only takes about 3-5mins of your time and would be greatly apprieciated.

Pet shop questions

Heres link to the survey

http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?survey_ID=MNJKKL_1461f34&preview=&&hidePreview

Cheers
Gav

-------This Is A Post Replying To People Who'd Already Done It-------

Hey everyone, thanks for all taking your time to do this, I'm really thankful and so is my mate, in fact they have asked if i'd post this for them....

------

Hello,

I would like to say a big thank you to those of you, who took the time and filled in the questionnaire. It has been extremely helpful and eye opening, I realise that the questionnaire wasn’t very in depth however I’m planning on making a more in depth one soon, for people to give their ideas.

I setup the survey to gather people’s responses because I am looking into opening a pet shop because most pet shops around my area either doesn’t stock livestock, is quite dirty, poorly kept shop and livestock and they don’t have a clue what they are talking about, try to cut corners by not including important equipment such as thermostats ect... and through doing this I have realised how hard it actually is for pet shops, especially because most people’s views and wants are different, although for some of the points I raised this isn’t an excuse.

My aim would be to open a friendly and welcoming shop that stocks a variety CB UK animals suitable for inexperienced and experienced keepers alike. With experienced members of staff for different sections within the shop, that would give correct care advice. Quality products available but are not overly priced, animals being kept in large, spacious enclosures with stimulation, where appropriate this mostly applies to mammals.
For reptiles, I would look into importing a few rarer species if there was enough interest by experienced keepers.

I’m going to go through the results and hopefully answer a few of your questions, apologies if I have missed your question but I think I have covered everyone.

Question 1, is quite self-explanatory really but it shows that on average most people visit a pet shop at least one a month.

Question 2, I wanted to see what services people would want from pet shops that sometimes aren’t currently available. I thought of using a breeders list and veterinary list because some animals aren’t suitable to have in a pet shop, I personally don’t think certain exotic mammals i.e. sugar gliders. Should be in pet shops due to them being nocturnal and how they require special dietary needs, attention, time out of the cage on the night and of course they need to go to someone who has researched their care and dietary requirements. If the customers have done this then with the breeder’s permission we would pass on their information. The veterinary list I thought would be useful because some vets aren’t experienced with reptiles but are good with the more every day animal i.e. dogs, so the list would consist of good vets that specialize with various animals.

Question 3, I would be looking at going for an open, clean, tidy, spacious layout for the shop which most people are in favour for, just so more products can be stocked and it isn’t cramped. Personally I don’t like going round a cramped pet shop.

Question 4, I have personally never been into a pet shop that has a variety of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, aquatics and invertebrates that are well kept, in large enclosures depending on the animal. I don’t enjoy seeing rabbits in tiny 2’x2’x2’ cages ect... my aim would be to provide large spacious enclosures for certain animals especially mammals and birds.

Question 5, I thought it would be nice for a pet shop to have an array of animals suitable for the newest of keepers and to the more experienced. I look forward to going into a new pet shop to see if they have anything out of the ordinary but 9 times out of 10 it’s the same usual live stock. Obviously this will call for staff that have experience with keeping these animals and it is why I would have a staff member over each section (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, aquatics and invertebrates) they would have to be experienced and knowledgeable within their section and I’d like to think I have a fairly good knowledge about a few animals having kept a few, although I don’t really know a lot about aquatics so that is something I would educate myself on by talking to experienced keepers.

Question 6, I would love to offer a DEFRA registered courier service to customers i.e. if someone visited the shop, paid a deposit on the animal, seemed knowledgeable about the animal but then couldn’t make it down to the shop again. This is where it would come in useful and hopefully if there was a contract in place with a good registered courier then it may bring the price down a little.

Question 7, this was a 50-50 split half wanted to buy animals online and half didn’t think it would be a good idea due to the fact that anyone could buy an animal. Which I agree with and fully understand, for people not able to visit the shop but yet still wished to purchase an animal then phoning in or emailing would be an option so then we could talk to the customer to make sure they understood the animals care requirements fully and again this is where the courier would come in useful.

Question 8, again pretty self-explanatory and the majority of people was willing to travel up to 30 miles.

Question 9, Having live food and frozen food delivered is quite popular, so it’s obviously something that would be available to customers online.

Question 10, there are a couple of things that people wanted added to the live food list which was Fruit beetle grubs, Earthworms, Wax worms, Calci worms and larger grub species which would be something that is looked into. A few people asked for live mice, rats, multis I know that animals cannot be sold unweaned by law but this wouldn’t happen anyway. However I am unsure about how the law works with selling live mammals for food, I believe it’s quite a grey area because I know that no vertebrate animal can be exposed to unnecessary suffering or harm but that is hard to judge in my opinion when feeding live, this is a big debate really and everyone’s opinion varies but I personally don’t agree with feeding live mammals unless you have exhausted all other avenues and its getting to the stage the animal may lose its life but even then I would resort to force/assist feeding rather than live because of the risks to the animal when feeding live.

Question 11, again a few people requested things to be added to the frozen food list such as Quail, Chickens, and Pheasants and someone also requested quail eggs, I’m not sure if that person meant frozen but this is where a breeders list would come in useful if they had infertile eggs or didn’t mind selling fertile eggs for feeding. I would also try to find a frozen food seller that supplies good quality and sizes in the UK so the animals are bred and humanely euthanized in the UK.

Question 12, Many people seemed to think that the reserving either in the shop or online by paying a deposit was a good idea, however the animals wouldn’t be kept around waiting for weeks and the length of the reservation would depend on the circumstances but I would hope to keep it less than 7 days.

Question 13, a lot of people seemed quite positive about the custom vivarium building by an experienced joiner; this is something I thought that would come in handy for a few people in my opinion, especially with a delivery service.

Question 14, again most peopled seemed to like the idea of the social events taking place at the shop, it wouldn’t be just a “pet shop sell” evening as someone may have thought. The main aim would to get the community together and for people to learn, meet other keepers in the area and meet like minded people. Handling and sexing lesson days was suggested as well as puppy social classes, now in a pet shop I don’t think puppy social classes would be a good idea because of the puppies pooping, peeing and if the try to get any food ect... plus they could stress out animals within the shop so it’s something that would be looked into to see if there was a way to do it safely if it was something people wanted. For the handling days or face your fears days then some animals wouldn’t be handled for their own safety and the persons safety i.e. tarantulas, centipedes... or having snakes and hamsters out at the same time for example, each day would be for specific animals.

Question 15, close parking available close to the shop a majority of people would want that as expected.

Question 16, again a few people in favour of it being close to public transport.

Question 17, the loyalty scheme idea, again the majority of people like it, so it’s something that would get looked into to find something that would be good for the customers. i.e. if you buy live food 5 weeks in a row at the pet shop, you would get one weeks free, same for frozen food and then other things for general products, a variety of ideas would be thought up.

Question 18, this in general got a positive view. However the shop would be laid out in sections (not by walls or barriers) and products suitable for those animals within that section. There are quite a few small cages on the market not suitable for what they are intended for so the staff would educate people as much as possible on not buying a too small of a cage for that animal depending on a variety of circumstances at the time, so again this is where experienced and knowledgeable staff are a must.

Question 19, I would prefer to source animals from good UK breeders (where possible i.e. invertebrates wouldn’t really be included in this) because that way I would know the animals are quality animals that has had the best start in life, plus I’d know the background of the animal.

Question 20, late night opening was popular with most people.

Question 21, Invertebrates posted via next day delivery online was a 50-50 split which was understandable but again it would be looked into if people wanted that.

Again thank you for taking the time to fill in the survey and apologies for the length of this post, I hope I have managed to answer everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a second post i've been asked to do, my friend found some extra points that needed adding.

---------

Hello,

Massive thank you for the responses, 91 people have completed the survey, which is absolutely fantastic!
A few points have been brought to my attention through the survey,

Delivery of large goods – again a contract with a courier service such as Inter-Link, TNT ect... to deliver products (not live animals) would be established so products would be available online to buy, as well as in store for home delivery.

Pet boarding – this is something I would be willing to trial, to see if people would be interested. Depending on the animal, costs would range from 0.50p a day for Snakes, £1.00 a day for other reptiles and £1.50 a day for small mammals i.e. mice, rats, hamsters, rabbits ect...

Over stocked – someone mentioned they wouldn’t like to see the shop over stocked with hard to keep animals. The stock would be varied with common animals you would expect to see in a pet shop, as well as rarer animals you wouldn’t expect to see so much. We would do our best to ensure that the person interested in buying the animal knew and understood about the animal’s needs and requirements.

Website – someone also mentioned many websites have out of date sites or websites that aren’t updated frequently enough. We would strive to update the website daily, with live stock news and changes. We wouldn’t allow people to buy animals (except Invertebrates) online, but you would be able to view a high quality picture of that animal and phone or email to enquire about purchasing. This way it stops impulse buyers, people who don’t have a clue about the animal but it also helps people who cannot get to the shop but want an animal. Deposits would also be taken via phone, in person and over the internet (through PayPal, not through the website) that way we can check that the person understands the animals care requirements.
The website would sell products again for delivery via a courier.

Live stock – some mentioned mammals and reptiles shouldn’t be together, if you meant co-habiting that obviously wouldn’t happen, the way how I plan the shop to be laid out would be they wouldn’t be next to each other but at the other end of the shop.
I have also added an extra question on the survey which means people can put their opinions/ideas ect...
Our aims would be great animal welfare and customer satisfaction. I hope this answers some of your questions if you have any more please feel free to ask.

-----------------------

Cheers
Gav

MOD NOTE: link added
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 26/05/2012 : 08:42:48
Done!
Elise Posted - 25/05/2012 : 23:28:14
Hello

I just wanted to say a huge massive thank you to everyone who took part in the survey, so far 172 people have completed it. The survey has been a big eye opener and I cannot tell you how grateful I am.

I'm going to publish the results on here, so even if my plans don't go to plan then hopefully someone else may get some help from them because sadly quite a few pet shops aren't exactly up-to-grade although there are some extremely good ones around.

The charts was done when 168 people had completed the survey, although they have stayed quite steady throughout, none of the questions was compulsory so that’s why some of the numbers of answers on the questions may vary.
The survey could only be taken once by the same person.

----------------
QUESTION ONE

The other section was for people who said they rarely visit a pet shop or gave an answer that wasn't available to select but ask you can see most people visit a pet shop at least once a month or more.

----------------
QUESTION TWO

This question was just to try and find out what you wanted from a pet shop, I think some pet shops today lose passion and it just becomes about making a living which can be hard owning a business but in my opinion that is when things start going downhill because no matter where an animal is kept or for however long they should have the best care and the correct advice given to new owners. I don't agree with the excuses such as "They are only for a short period of time" "They will get sold soon" "There are too many animals sold for the staff to know about them" I honestly think animals should have the best care even if they are only in that shop for a day and if staff do not know enough about that animal to offer correct advice then they shouldn't be sold within the shop.

From the chart you can see animal care advice was the highest but a lot of people commented on how they wouldn't trust a pet shop to give the correct advice and although I understand where they are coming from I found it extremely sad that people had got those views.

Other services that people was interested in was animal boarding, delivery of large goods, importing rare species and the other comments was about wanting knowledgeable friendly staff to offer correct advice.

------------------
QUESTION THREE

Question three was just about the general floor layout around the shop and as you can see many people preferred the spacious and clear option, however the other comments was "somewhere in the middle" and people saying how small busy shops aren't very comfortable to be in but large spacious shops that aren't busy look empty but from my personal view I cannot stand being in cramped and crowded places.

Disabled access was also mentioned quite often too so again this is where space would come in useful.

-----------------
QUESTION FOUR

I personally wanted to have a pet shop that stocks a variety of animals to suite everyone no matter if they are into their Tarantulas or those into their exotic mammals. I have never been into a shop that stocks a variety and the chart shows that most people would be in favour for it too.

----------------
QUESTION FIVE

Near enough the same to question four, but again I've never been in a shop that has sold more "experienced" animals because many just stock and sell the more common species because they obviously sell the best but I think having more experienced animals available will also provide something for experienced keepers and it’s also interesting to people who have never saw something like that before because they aren't the animal which they normally look in to. I've visited quite a few pet shops and I feel lucky if I see anything out of the common things.

A lot of the other comments was people expressing their concerns if the more experienced animals got into new keepers hands and wasn't cared for correctly but this is where having good knowledgeable staff comes in handy and people would of course be questioned slightly to make sure they could provide the correct care for the animal and they would also be give a care leaflet for free written by the shop.

---------------
QUESTION SIX

Many people are also in favour of this, I think it’s a good thing to have especially if a customer has come a long way to purchase an animal which may find a journey without the correct care difficult on the way back. So the courier would be a great option, same for people who visit, pay a deposit but then cannot collect the animal for whatever reason.

The price maybe a little off putting to some people but hopefully with a contract with an experienced DEFRA animal courier would mean the prices maybe cheaper for customers.

------------------
QUESTION SEVEN

This question has been near enough 50-50 most of the way through the survey, it’s a touchy subject with some and some quite strong opinions being put across such as "its unethical" "new owners cannot be questioned" "anyone could buy them, they could be abused or neglected" but on the other hand there was people who said "it would be useful because I am disabled and struggle to get out often" "its more easier when you have a large family" and I can see both sides to the argument.

So I'd have people phone in or email so they can be questioned to make sure they knew what they was doing with that animal and then things would go from their such as Skype calls with a quality camera so the animals can be viewed and potential setups can also be viewed but obviously it is better to go and visit the animal to make sure it is exactly what you want.

------------------
QUESTION EIGHT

Not a lot to say about this question really, it speaks for its self.

------------------
QUESTION NINE

Again another chart that speaks for its self, obviously having live food and frozen food delivered is a big help for most busy people or people who struggle getting out and about but sometimes delivery prices can be quite high especially for frozen food so this would be something to look in to, to make it as cheap but effective as possible for the customer.

----------------
QUESTION TEN

This chart is obviously ideal to know what live food would be the most popular to stock and as expected crickets and locusts proved to be the most popular however the dubia roches popularity surprised me a little.

Other suggestions people made was wax worms, butter worms, large grub species, calci worms, earth worms, daphnia, blood worms, lob worms and giant african land snails.

---------------------
QUESTION EVELVEN

This chart is ideal to know what frozen food is popular and the results was as I expected really.

Other suggestions were quails, chickens, pheasants, pigeon, frozen bones, mince and lance fish.

--------------------
QUESTION TWELVE

People seemed to be in favour of this although again people expressed their opinions saying it would be wrong to keep animals on hold over a long period of time but the amount of time would depend on each animal and persons circumstances although the aim would be to keep it under seven days.

---------------------
QUESTION THIRTEEN

I actually really like this idea, if it wasn't for forums and such internet sites I wouldn't of known about custom vivarium builders so I think having this available in store with the option of delivery either flat-packed or fully built is a great idea and also ideal for many people.

----------------------
QUESTION FOURTEEN

This is another idea I really like, bringing people together. There weren’t many negative comments about it either; quite a few people seemed to really like the idea.

Other suggestions made was dog social groups, fun dog shows (not quite sure how these would work in a pet shop) sexing lessons, kids shows, small talks about certain animals care requirements, setup tutorials, summer BBQs, certain animal groups i.e. snakes, lizards, exotics ect...

--------------------
QUESTION FIFTEEN

Speaks for its self and expected really.

---------------------
QUESTION SIXTEEN

Same as question fifteen really.

-----------------------
QUESTION SEVENTEEN

This one surprised me really, I'm not a fan of loyalty schemes but it seems most people would be in favour of them and there are plenty of ideas that could be done such as if someone buys live food from the shop five weeks in a row, give them one/two weeks (of equal cost) for free.

-----------------------
QUESTION EIGHTEEN

Some people didn't agree with this but most people did. One of my "pet hates" is to see animals in small enclosures in a shop and then being sold on to mis-informed owners in a small cage and again this is where experienced staff come in, to explain to customers what is best for the animals overall welfare rather than just the bank balance but obviously things can depend on different circumstances.

----------------------
QUESTION NINETEEN

Again another pet hate of mine is pet shops getting animals from breeding farms, feeder farms ect... which normally means that the animals aren't the best health wise and their life expectancy isn't as long, which is why I would source captive bred animals from UK breeders so then the background of the animal is known and they have had the best start in life.

I also think breeders should try to worth with pet shops to supply them, that way they are still getting money but the pet shops are also selling decent quality animals.

One thing people brought up was that they didn't agree with animals being sold in pet shops and this was quite understandable yet shocking in a way, pet shops, if the passion is there can be just as good as home breeders for spending time with the animals and caring for them correctly. Vetting homes can only go so far and in general both pet shops and breeders can ask the same kind of questions so selling to the "wrong" people can happen in pet shops and with breeders if the "vetting" isn't carried out because just as there is bad pet shops there are bad breeders sadly.

----------------------
QUESTION TWENTY

Late night opening times on a couple of days a week proved more popular than I would of thought.

------------------------
QUESTION TWENTY ONE

This was a bit of a hit-miss question because people who don't know a lot about inverts may see this as being cruel but if done correctly it is perfectly fine and safe for them.

ScalySituation Posted - 24/05/2012 : 19:24:25
didded :)
adamasrc Posted - 24/05/2012 : 19:11:26
birmingham already has a good one! the world of fish and pets, bring it to the south east please :)
lupi lou Posted - 24/05/2012 : 19:07:49
your friends just going to have to clone themself so we can all have a good shop in our area :-)!!!
Donnie Posted - 24/05/2012 : 18:59:46
Done
If he can achieve all of those goals it should be a great pet shop (shame it is not going to be in Manchester)
mkmattyk Posted - 24/05/2012 : 18:43:52
cant it be nearer leeds?? :-( sounds like it going to be a really good shop
Indelible Posted - 24/05/2012 : 18:18:10
Hey all thanks for the replies again!

And it would be Birmingham (uk)

Cheers
Gav
mkmattyk Posted - 24/05/2012 : 17:41:29
done, and can i just ask if they was a shop to open where would it be???
lupi lou Posted - 24/05/2012 : 17:39:49
done it!! where is your mate hoping to set up this pet shop?
Simmy_82 Posted - 24/05/2012 : 15:47:08
Also done!
Indelible Posted - 24/05/2012 : 15:11:30
Hey all, thanks for taking the time to do the survey it's muchly apprieciated and anyone who hasn't done it yet, if you wouldn't mind taking 3-5mins just to fill it out that'd be great! thanks!

Cheers
Gav
Figs Posted - 24/05/2012 : 12:59:52
Done
Sounds good to me!
cobweb251 Posted - 24/05/2012 : 12:57:18
sounds like the perfect pet shop to me
Hissyfit Posted - 24/05/2012 : 09:52:32
Done Some good ideas there, especially the DEFRA approved courier service and on site viv building

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000