The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Refused 1st Feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 05/04/2012 : 11:46:38
My first corn snake, he's 6 mnths old and weighs 7g. We offered a pinkie mouse with tongs and he avoided it. So I returned Casper to his faun along with the mouse, he's using it as a pillow!

I also have a Common Boa and a Royal Python, they both strike feed on large mice like lightening, never missed a feed.

I thawed the pinkie and heated it in warm water..any suggestions and if he doesn't eat in his hide, how long before I offer another?

Thanks
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Corns7 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 18:42:45
That's ok. Aww haha
JanieW Posted - 07/04/2012 : 12:37:23
Thanks Corns,

That might actually work as he is most relaxed when being held. This morning when he was out to clean his rub..he mooched up to curl up in my hair, chin peeking out lol
Corns7 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 11:51:47
When you next try and feed him try and hand feed him the pinkey, I had to feed mine in my palm once!
JanieW Posted - 07/04/2012 : 10:54:50
Sorry it took so long to reply :

Ok firstly it was a large faun compared to him , so I have moved him into one of my airtight food tubs..lol with holes punched through the lid. Just room for a coconut hide in the warm end, a toilet roll tube and small water dish. I filled the coconut with scrunched strips of kitchen roll.

I'll try a feed again on Monday. If he refuses that i'll try your idea Mamma, thanks.
Mamma Posted - 06/04/2012 : 09:52:26
You can also try putting him in a feeding tub that is literally only enough room for him and the feed, so he has no choice but to touch it, be in close proximity of it etc etc. This helped me with a non eater xxxxxx
tordyjo Posted - 05/04/2012 : 14:17:52
as above really, just wait until his next feed would be due, he is a tiddler though. You could try braining the pinky before you offer it, basically piercing the head to expose brain matter, smells fantastic to a snake - apparently. Keep an eye on his weight too, weigh him before you offer each feed, if he doesn't feed this is so you can see if he's losing weight. Did he come with feeding records? is he a known problamatic feeder.

Can you give us a few more details of his home and your set up, the size of house you have him in, the temperatures in the hot and cool end, how you measure the temps, how is his house heated, mat or bulb, do you have a thermostat to control the temperatures. If its too hot or too cold that can put them off feeding too.

How long from getting him to offering the feed?
smart bunny Posted - 05/04/2012 : 11:52:59
Awwww 7g is tiny for 6 months!! And lol at using it as a pillow! I'd leave him undisturbed for a while - possibly even covered over, just so he feels secure and he may eat it. If not I'd wait the usual 5 days but with no handling and try again. It is not recommended to keep trying every couple of days as this could make the snake worse. Hope it's all munched up the next time you do check on him :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000