The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 A cautionary tale with an unhappy ending.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 02/04/2012 : 18:50:13
A few weeks back my gravid golddust motley, Aurelia, managed to escape from her viv. Its the bottom unit on a home-made wardrobe conversion, with sliding glass doors on plastic runners. The doors are tall, wide and heavy. Upon inspection I saw that the wood at the side had angled slightly, leaving a gap a few MM across which she had pushed open.

I fixed this with plastic stripping glued down the side of the wood, and once dry she went back in, having been found a few hours after we discovered she was missing.

A few days later she was out again. More searching revealed a gap about 1mm across at the bottom of the plastic stripping- although tiny, it was evidently enough for her to get the tip of her nose into and push open again.

This time we didn't find her. On Friday, I received a call from my landlord who told me that a 2 metre long "dangerous" snake had been found in the offices directly below our flat. Aurelia was only about 3 feet and soft as butter.

It took 4 teams of police officers and the RSPCA to "contain" her, during which time someone dropped a box on her and caused her to prolapse. She was taken by the police to a local vets, who looked after her until I arrived to pick her up. She seemed well enough, tongue flicking, no flat or squashed areas, strength all through her body, and the prolapse was small. The vets she was at, having no idea about reps, had spoken to a reptile vet who seemingly was happy to be treated at home by me.

She was soaked in a sugar solution and the prolapse disappeared within 2 hours, whereupon she was then put into a clean RUB lined with paper. She was doing well.

Upon speaking to my downstairs neighbour, an Indian lady, it became clear that all the drama was the result of a lot of hysteria and ignorance- the police had been told the snake was "trying to eat her baby" and was 2 metres long, hence the massive overkill. She then asked me if the snake had been killed, and was very annoyed when I told her it hadn't.

(Don't get me wrong, I can understand her shock and was mortified by what happened, just slightly taken aback by her attitude.)

Well, it would seem she got her wish. Aurelia is dead. I am totally gutted and despite spending well over £100 and most of my Saturday buying viv locks, door wedges and new RUB's for the little'uns I am totally paranoid about it happening again.

Moral of the story- never underestimate a determined snake, never leave a gap unplugged, and check for gaps regularly. It just isn't worth the risk.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MsThomson Posted - 03/04/2012 : 21:53:55
how awful for you...im so sorry. she was an absolutely gorgeous snake :(
Emmy1 Posted - 03/04/2012 : 20:53:20
What a tragic story! Such a beautiful looking animal too.

I know from my own experiences that sometimes your own hindsight can be cruel, but from reading your story this is by no means your fault. Your snake escaped and just so happened to manage to get below into the offices. What happened then on was out of your control. Bear, don't doubt your actions, you did everything possible as her owner. I'm glad she was back in your possession when she past. So so sorry.
Sta~ple Posted - 03/04/2012 : 19:01:41
Sorry for your loss, not sure what to say :( I would be so mad and wanting to punch the person but you can't help what your scared of I suppose, although to lie about the size and stuff :/ I'd give her a slap of sense or something and tell her if she knows the difference between inches and feet.

If they purposely dropped the box to injure the snake though... if they have an annoying yappy dog *whistle*
sue2012 Posted - 03/04/2012 : 17:02:44
im so sorry for u and your stunning looking snake its sad that people fill the need to do halm to any living thing i HATE spiders but i wont kill them i get the oh to remove there is no need to halm any living thing no matter how big all small they are if u are unsure of what u are seeing then leave the property and phone the right people that way both u and the animal are safe
oakleyman18 Posted - 03/04/2012 : 14:39:58
That is absolutely awful SB :( I'm just so sorry that the woman downstairs felt compelled to take the need to kill such an animal.. I can understand people's fear, but personally I don't like dogs particularly, doesn't mean that if I found one in my house I would try and kill it. Now a dog COULD kill a baby...

RIP, and I hope you have more luck in the future..
lupi lou Posted - 03/04/2012 : 12:22:47
that is so sad, so sorry for your loss
Casta Posted - 03/04/2012 : 11:46:21
thats a bloody shame. ignorance makes me abhor the human race... but what can you do. probably why i choose to spend a lot of my time with animals and educating people about them. really sorry for your loss x
Hissyfit Posted - 03/04/2012 : 10:48:20
What a terrible thing to happen to your poor girl.
RIP Aurelia
nusnakemum Posted - 03/04/2012 : 09:07:10
oh a very sad story and i am so sorry SB, thinking of you
nickyff Posted - 02/04/2012 : 23:17:42
I'm so sorry for your loss - she was a beautiful snake.

i think the "moral", or learning point here though, is to talk to neighbours- because such a large percentage of the population are misinformed, inexperienced, ignorant and fearful, it's probably best to pre-empt any possible disasters like this-
let neighbours know that any snakes they might see at any future point (by whatever accident) are utterly harmless pet snakes, and give them a contact number for you, so before they ring police, RSPCA, whoever, you can deal with the situation safely, without any injury to your pet. I'm sure we've all seen the story of the woman who found an MBK in her cupboard, called the RSPCA and the RSPCA woman who turned up freaked and called for back-up, basically because she had no experience/training in the handling of totally harmless pet snakes and apparently thought it was a dangerous rattlesnake. ie we can't rely on so-called animal "experts" to be what they claim, when it comes to all things herp....
Reading between the lines of this story, I hate to say it but I suspect that the neighbour wasn't trying to 'contain' Aurelia at all.

Definitely a learning point for all of us- we love them, but our neighbours do not.

Very Sad.
I'm so sorry for you SB. and for Aurelia, that she managed to get further than the safe boundaries of your home.
Kez Posted - 02/04/2012 : 22:45:10
I'm so very sorry to hear of your tragic loss of Aurelia, it's really such a heartbreaking story. I understand someone would be scared by a loose snake, especially if they have a baby, but surely common sense would kick in and tell them that after looking, a 3' Corn could not physically 'eat' their baby!

Thinking of you at this awful time and hoping that remembering the happy times that your beautiful girl gave you can help to bring you through
kdlang Posted - 02/04/2012 : 22:22:55
Oh SB!! I am so so sorry to hear about your loss. I can understand how devastated you were to find her. Unfortunately there are always going to be people who are scared of snakes and thus panic when they come across one unexpectedly.
lotabob Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:58:33
You cant blame the neighbour for reacting how she did, yes its a response that shows a lack of knowledge of snakes and its terrible an animal was hurt and this lead to its death but as the educated ones in this subject it is our responsibility to ensure the safety of our animals.

In a vivarium there are a few weaknesses when it comes to escaping, the doors, the vents, and the wire holes, a few very simple measures can be taken to make a vivarium virtually escape proof the most important of which is to immobilise the doors, if you give them an inch they will always take a mile.

Dont get me wrong it is terrible that a very beautiful little snake has lost its life and I'm sorry for your loss.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:43:06
Absolutely gutted for you :( Stupid neighbours. The poor girl.
SexyBear77 Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:33:02
Just got off the phone with the police trying to find out more- its all a bit sketchy but the report states the snake was injured when they got there, and that my downstairs neighbours had dropped the box on it.

I'll speak to them tomorrow to see what happened.

I can understand their fear, however, if the woman was as frightened as she made out ...... why not leave the building and wait for help to arrive?! Rather than attempt to contain, and ultimately kill my snake.
scottishbluebird Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:24:52
So so sorry
ScalySituation Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:20:50
That is heart breaking! :( :( she was a stunning lass

RIP Aurelia, go find all the other lost snakeys to play with at rainbow bridge xx

Donnie Posted - 02/04/2012 : 20:15:55
Sorry to hear of your loss
tordyjo Posted - 02/04/2012 : 19:59:45
I'm sorry that is so sad, RIP aurelia
kev 5 Posted - 02/04/2012 : 19:57:54
sorry for you're loss,she was a lovely snake

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000