The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What's your choice of substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/03/2012 : 00:17:19
There's a lot of choice to choose from from simple newspaper to aspen
Personally I use beech chips I get a good coverage on the viv floors also it's a reasonable price all my reptiles are on it.
Was wondering what everyone else's choice was
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sue2012 Posted - 03/04/2012 : 17:25:45
im using beach chips as was using aspen and had a massive out brake of mites in all my vivs got rid of the mites was using news paper for well over a month snakes where all clear got some more aspen as never thought it could be from that but again all snakes had mites went through the hole thing again now use the beach chips and no mites for the last 4 month ................ aubiose ive herd of this is it really good any one ever had any probs with mites is it the stuff used for horses as well a hemp or something like that lol
claire_daz Posted - 03/04/2012 : 09:21:03
pop's hated orchid chips she went straight up her vines and stayed there so they all on aspen
Falice Posted - 02/04/2012 : 22:09:29
i use beech chips and i keep finding them around the house! I have no idea how lol.
Lili Posted - 31/03/2012 : 17:58:52
I use aspen but I'm looking into a recycled paper bedding my sister uses for her rats, not sure if it would work though.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 31/03/2012 : 10:54:57
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

aspen. and it drives me BONKERS. its all over the sodding floor every time i open up somebodys tank

Aspen, but as we use aubiose for the rabbits I will probably change when I have used my two bales of aspen! Agree it does go everywhere.
nickyff Posted - 31/03/2012 : 00:21:56
aspen. and it drives me BONKERS. its all over the sodding floor every time i open up somebodys tank
Emmy1 Posted - 30/03/2012 : 22:41:09
I use kitchen lino. A flooring company near me always has off cuts laying around the back. I just ask one of the guys on duty if I can have it. Always say yes! So it's free. Very easy to clean and holds heat well. Never had a problem.
n/a Posted - 30/03/2012 : 21:44:28
Seems a lot of us are using beech chippings I used to have mine on hemp but it's like aspen goes everywhere.
Spreebok Posted - 30/03/2012 : 21:07:11
Miscanthus for the yearlings and up, and Cat and Kryten are on Aspen :>
eeji Posted - 30/03/2012 : 19:39:22
aubiose for all mine, and kitchen towel when I have hatchies
Redshift Spec Posted - 30/03/2012 : 19:02:02
Aspen but moving to beech chip once I've ran out. Aspen gets everywhere.
Donnie Posted - 30/03/2012 : 18:51:40
Aspen at the moment as I bought a shed load for my first set up (on offer) but I am going to try beech next to see what my snakey's prefer.
kat99 Posted - 30/03/2012 : 17:52:52
bedding i use for pearl is vermiculite
smart bunny Posted - 30/03/2012 : 14:45:55
I've never felt aspen Stapey so I couldn't comment! I ordered my viv from Swell, and was going to get a bag of aspen, then saw they had this so tried it instead: http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-substrates-420/swell-premium-substrates-1524/swell-premium-soft-chip-reptile-bedding-301885.html the reviews at the bottom were good which is why I thought I'd give it a go (assuming they aren't all made up lol!).
Simmy_82 Posted - 30/03/2012 : 13:21:18
I use Aspen at present. But have used Beech chips and kitchen roll in the past. I try to change it about a bit for a bit of variation.
lupi lou Posted - 30/03/2012 : 12:55:58
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

is hay or straw suitable?

would have though hay and straw could be quite dusty depending on the quality, i know straw isn't suitable for some small animals as the sharp ends can cause damage to their eyes. hay can sometimes carry mites to, i have know guinea pigs pick up mites from hay.
Sta~ple Posted - 30/03/2012 : 12:53:15
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

is hay or straw suitable?

They wouldn't aborb poo well and you would be taking out huge amounts for one poo. PLus that stuff is generally long and kinda nots together so if you snake slithered about, it aould all lump onside I imagine.

@Bunny, Ahh I know the stuff! It was being sold on a frozen food places I was looking at as being what lab animals are kept on and what some breeders are now using but I forgot what it's called if it's the stuff I'm thinking about! It looks good, hopefully 20kg bags will be more avaliable in future. Do you know how much softer than aspen it is?
lupi lou Posted - 30/03/2012 : 12:53:06
am currenly using cage carpet, but once 8 moves in to his big boy viv i will put him on somthing else, haven't decided what yet! but this thread might give me some ideas!
smart bunny Posted - 30/03/2012 : 12:34:13
I'm using soft wood chip from Swell reptiles - apparently it's like aspen but a bit softer - not tried anything else yet as only moved Corno into her viv recently!
Corns7 Posted - 30/03/2012 : 11:46:48
I use normal Aspen but as she gets older I think I may move to beech chips.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000