The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Well that was unexpected!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 13:51:04
Spencer has been eating mice but I thought I would offer him a weaner rat for change, as I do with my other adult occasionally. Well Spencer was not at all impressed. He took one sniff at it then backed away, he then went mad. Striking repeatedly and tail rattling, got himself in a right strop . Needless to say I carfully removed the rat with him in an s just waiting to strike again. All the agression, if thats what it was, seemed to be aimed at me just as much as the rat. He has now eaten two mice but he was not at all sure of them until he realised no rat was in sight.
I was hoping to get him to eat rats as an alternative food if the need arose but not sure that I will even offer one again after that reaction. Hope I have no altered his temperament towards me he is normally a real softie, I feel really guilty now
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/02/2012 : 22:27:49
I once had a mixed batch of different coloured mice, that was all that was available at the time. I had to do a heck of a lot of jiggling & twirling to get any interest. I think Big T just got peed off and eventually took them to stop me pestering him. Since the white mice were re-stocked there hasn't been a problem.

The neighbours were also delighted that I'd given up highland dancing.
smart bunny Posted - 17/02/2012 : 13:11:16
Lol at the 'racist snakes'!! So there's something for those with feeding issues... try a different colour food!
lupi lou Posted - 17/02/2012 : 10:21:44
i remember being told about a snake at a near by college that would only eat black gerbils! it refused every thing else! luckly for the college they breed their own food so it wasn't too much of an issue!
Dancross0 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 19:01:54
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Black mice get a sniff but are eventually gobbled down.

Racist snakes?

Auld Baldy Posted - 16/02/2012 : 18:13:52
Big T wouldn't touch a rat either. I think the different smell can put them off. I noticed the difference myself. If they are all content with their mice who am I to complain. Black mice get a sniff but are eventually gobbled down.
Dancross0 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 17:03:34
If you want an alternative to mice, just to mix things up a bit, try day old chicks.

Be warned though, they really stink the other end of the snake!
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/02/2012 : 16:47:43
Will not even THINK of offering Kellogs any then! what a shame, at least he did eat mice you offered after
Red123 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 16:42:44
Its certainly made me very cautious about even thinking of offering Spencer another rat. Will have to source some large/jumbo mice as my current supplier offeres mediums then ex breeder which I have heard have poor nutritional value
nickyff Posted - 16/02/2012 : 16:22:48
I tried punkin with a weaner rat a while back, he wouldn't have anything to do with it, and it was nearly 3 weeks before I could persuade him to eat again (back on jumbo mousies)
I think they smell different-
he didn't go bonkers tho-

maybe as rats get so much bigger they're perceived as a threat more than a mouse would be??
a rat can do a lot of damage, even to big snakeys...
((caution about the link below- do not open if you are aof a sensitive disposition- I didn't know whether to cry or throw up))
http://www.reptilerescueden.org/Ratbite.html
Spreebok Posted - 16/02/2012 : 14:31:57
Aww, I wouldn't worry! I offered a mouse to my adult the other day when he was in blue and he went mental as well! I'm sure he'll back back to being a big softie once he's digested :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000