The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Should I or shouldn't I........?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thistle Posted - 12/02/2012 : 07:16:02
Ok, this is probably a stupid question to ask you lot, but....

My local pet shop has had a western hognose hatchling in for a few months now. I've never been particularly interested in hoggies, and in fact barely looked at it until a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason I now can't stop thinking about her.

They 'think' it's female, say she is eating fine and is only £45 (I may have phoned up about it yesterday ), which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I had no intention on getting another snake at the moment, particularly not a hoggie....... though I do just happen to have a spare stat and mat, plus Bailey's old tub.....

So, what do you think, should I get her?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 14/02/2012 : 20:37:51
Awww she's tiny! Yay on new snakey!!
Mort13 Posted - 13/02/2012 : 20:15:49
Haha,knew it! They are fab little snakes. Congrats!
thistle Posted - 13/02/2012 : 20:02:15
I don't have her home yet, need to move things around a bit first, but she is bought and paid for. I just couldn't resist.

Still not sure why she was so cheap, they sells normal corn hatchlings for £50, so it's not like they're known for great prices.
Georgina Posted - 13/02/2012 : 19:51:59
i saw one today same size and colour for £94.95! what are you waiting for!
ScalySituation Posted - 13/02/2012 : 19:46:35
she's very very cute!
Mort13 Posted - 13/02/2012 : 19:45:59
Aww she's adorable. Have you already got her home with you then. I know that when I held Petal there was no way I was going home without her lol.
thistle Posted - 13/02/2012 : 19:03:25
Hissyfit Posted - 13/02/2012 : 18:50:35
Aww, she's really sweet...when do you bring her home
thistle Posted - 13/02/2012 : 18:26:14
I went to have a closer look at her today and got a few pics while I was there. Here she is...

She is so tiny and very sweet, no hissing or striking. They told me she is eating 2 pinkies a week and looking in her tub there was a couple of poos.

thistle Posted - 13/02/2012 : 18:10:40
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

quote:
Originally posted by thistle

Have to admit, feeling sorry for her was the reason I initially started paying more attention to her. She's in a cricket tub that's inside a 9litre rub, with another cricket tub containIng a king snake beside hers. The only heat is an unstated mat stuck to the wall about 6" behind the rub, so there's no way she's getting the right temps she needs.

No sympathy for the little King then?

The king snake hasn't been there as long and, as I said, I was planning on getting a smaller snake at some point. Plus there is just something about the hoggie that just got to me.
Red123 Posted - 13/02/2012 : 15:23:24
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

Have to admit, feeling sorry for her was the reason I initially started paying more attention to her. She's in a cricket tub that's inside a 9litre rub, with another cricket tub containIng a king snake beside hers. The only heat is an unstated mat stuck to the wall about 6" behind the rub, so there's no way she's getting the right temps she needs.

No sympathy for the little King then?
thistle Posted - 12/02/2012 : 18:47:48

All I really knew about hoggies before were that they were venomous and could be a pain in the a**e to feed, which didn't exactly enthrall me to them. But, I've spent the last week or 2 'browsing' through care sheets and The Hognose Snake Forum (not that I was intending on getting one you understand, it was just general curiosity ) and they really helped allay any fears I had, plus the more pics I saw of them the cuter I was finding them.

I'll maybe go and have a closer look, hopefully get to handle her, and see what I think. It's not something I would do on the spur of the moment. I was eventually planning on getting a smaller snake, though was leaning more towards a pueblan milk, that could live in my 60x45x45cm exo terra terrarium when adult, once my corns have all moved up into vivs. I was just not intending on getting anything quite so soon.

I wouldn't be able to take her home right away anyway. In preparation of moving Bradley into the large exo terra terrarium, I used silicon sealant to stick the probes of the spare thermostat and thermometer to the floor of the terrarium as Bradley has a habit of shifting them around. Was planning on moving him last week, but he went into shed so I won't move him until he has shed, eaten and digested. Once that's done the thermostat, heat mat and thermometer in his old terrarium will be going spare.
kdlang Posted - 12/02/2012 : 15:26:58
I agree with SB. I think you need to think about it more and make sure it's not an impulse buy. It's easy for us to say 'yeah go and get it' but we are not the ones that will have an extra rub taking up space, extra mouth to feed, another possible non-feeder to worry about, more possible vet bills should anything go wrong etc.

It is a good price, especially from a shop so if you really want it then go for it but think about all the other considerations first
scottishbluebird Posted - 12/02/2012 : 14:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

LOl did you really post this thread because you wanted us to talk you out of it methinks not lmao go for it mate you'l only regret it if you dont and thats a really good price

Couldnt agree more, and price is good, i did ask about one in dundee, when they got them in would be £100
sue2012 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 13:53:41
i think u answered your own question lol u have what u need just sitting there think filling the rub would be a good idea least it no longer empty and u will have something nice to look at :)
Georgina Posted - 12/02/2012 : 13:03:13
That's cheap! Near me they go for 85 pounds x
paulie78 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 12:55:56
LOl did you really post this thread because you wanted us to talk you out of it methinks not lmao go for it mate you'l only regret it if you dont and thats a really good price
Hissyfit Posted - 12/02/2012 : 12:32:24
Get it, you know you want to
Red123 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 10:16:54
You are probably feeling sorry for it because it has been in the shop for a while. Not a good reason to buy it.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 10:08:01
I think you should wait a while longer to make sure it's not just a spur of the moment thing, and if she has been sold then aim to buy one from a private breeder.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000