The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Wood?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ScalySituation Posted - 09/02/2012 : 17:10:23
Hi all :)

Before you say anything I know I can go find some wood somewhere....

But where do y'all buy yours?

I've been looking at seapets..

TY

Scaly
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 09/02/2012 : 22:46:34
Martyn, check the link for a list of plants which are toxic to 'reptiles'. Some refer to eating the plant leaves or fruit but some contain saps which are toxic to snakes on contact, eg pine. Best to be safe and avoid these anyway.
http://www.peteducation.com/
(Can't link to feature but follow links under Poisons/Toxicities on the side bar.)

This is some Silver Birch I've been working on (it's been drying out for a couple of months now since I de-barked and before I start the French Polishing stage.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20455

I'll post up a step by step with more pictures on how I worked on the raw logs and how they are turning out.

Basic steps are: Gather, wash with hose or deck scrubber brush, dry off bark, de-bark, soak in weak bleach solution (good glug to 6 inches of bath water) for 24 hours and rinse off, stack and dry off in a warm cupboard or indoors at least for a week or two, tidy trim and sand with rubbing blocks. Finally give it a coat of varnish.

Baking in the oven is not really practical for largish logs but a good soak in the bleach solution will take care of any creepy crawlies.
Mamma Posted - 09/02/2012 : 22:36:57
I use bamboo xx
Georgina Posted - 09/02/2012 : 22:14:11
pine is a big no no
madmartyn Posted - 09/02/2012 : 22:03:27
any types of wood to avoid?
mkmattyk Posted - 09/02/2012 : 21:44:59
Well i first put in the bath with milton sterilised water soak it for an hour or two, then take out leave for another couple of hours and then bake at any temp basically higher than 100degrees for an hour maybe an hour and a half (untill baked dry), then as precaution i spray with a mite spray.
Sta~ple Posted - 09/02/2012 : 20:16:03
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Yeah! if only there was some way to make big pieces into small pieces, some kind of implement that is able to make wood break in a neat way.

Can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not :P I just don't like the idea of sawing a piece of wood I've paid £20 for that's all.

I debarked 4 branches, it took forever! I soaked, I bleached, I dried everything to try and make it easier but it didn't work! In the end I got a buffing kind of drill attachment to sand/grind the bark off and then used a Stanley knife in places I couldn't get. Ended up breaking the tip of the knife somehow and caught my hand really badly and got my face XD The buggers don't even use them, they prefer the trixie table or plastic tubes!
madmartyn Posted - 09/02/2012 : 20:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

I dont tend to do it this time of the year but, Because everything is too wet, but i live near a park with alot of broken down trees so ive got a health picking of brark and sticks, i just make sure they fit in my cooker so i can blast them for any bugs

could you give me a brief run down on prcedure, i,e what type of wood, how long to bake it how hot oven kinda stuff
ScalySituation Posted - 09/02/2012 : 19:57:45
Me nonno what 2 do :S
I'll wait n see how much money i get on my bday methinks
mkmattyk Posted - 09/02/2012 : 19:56:53
I dont tend to do it this time of the year but, Because everything is too wet, but i live near a park with alot of broken down trees so ive got a health picking of brark and sticks, i just make sure they fit in my cooker so i can blast them for any bugs
Auld Baldy Posted - 09/02/2012 : 19:48:02
Can't put a price on the therapeutic value of debarking, trimming and sanding your own natural wood. Plus I refuse to pay the ridiculously expensive asking prices in some pet shops.
lotabob Posted - 09/02/2012 : 18:54:56
Yeah! if only there was some way to make big pieces into small pieces, some kind of implement that is able to make wood break in a neat way.

I honestly refuse to pay for something that with a bit of work can be retrieved, cleaned and turned into something beautiful, real sense of pride to it too.
ScalySituation Posted - 09/02/2012 : 18:50:49
thats a point stapey :S :S
Sta~ple Posted - 09/02/2012 : 18:34:21
The garden or pets corner. I don't like the idea of buying wood online incase it was too wide for my viv.
ScalySituation Posted - 09/02/2012 : 18:17:10
thx :D urs r cool 2 :D
ShaneyyWithWiz Posted - 09/02/2012 : 18:14:17
Bit unrelated but love your new sigs :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000