The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 heat mat question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:28:43
i have bought a second hand heat mat to go into midnights viv (she already has one in there but it could do with being bigger) i have taken her out and swapped the mat, plugged it into the stat and its sruggleing to reach temp, its been on for about an hour and its at 22.3 degrees and the stat is still clicked on to heat? any ideas? is a 12watt mat. the mat i have in lightnings is a 7.5 watt and would go in excess of 30 degrees if it was not on a stat.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 03/02/2012 : 11:33:25
Ah ok then. Do you have to send the faulty thing back? Yeah you do have to shop about. Wilkos has some super cheap water dishes, only like £1-3 :P
Georgina Posted - 03/02/2012 : 09:25:23
I tried it in and out of the viv, with stuff on it, I put in between two books, still nothing. I emptied the viv aswell. He got back to me today saying he is going to issue the regfund today. I have ordered one from surrey pets, which I would like to add was half the price inc delivery that it is in pets at home! You really have to shop around as pets at home is cheaper for water dishes and wood because of the weight. I find myself going to every rep stockist atleast once a week to have a nosey! Still only found one place that is 45 miles away that stocks hoggies. Thank for all the advise guys x
Sta~ple Posted - 03/02/2012 : 08:50:00
I know it sounds stupid, but did you have a heavy hide on it while you were testing the second mat?
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 03/02/2012 : 02:03:33
Great to hear that, just make sure you get refund, should be instant on paypal, if not just click dispute on ebay select the item and then "item is faulty" or "not as described" and theyw ill deal with refund for you

if you were desperate I know quite few pet shops stock them, though slightly more expensive than online lol

But glad you sorted it and look forward to seeing pics of your set ups once completed
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 23:00:19
i messaged him via ebay and he is going to refund the money and i have ordered a new one from surrey pets. its lucky i wasnt extra desperate for it! :)
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 01/02/2012 : 22:56:16
get a refund or like for like, and if it's through ebay or amazon, and seller refuses, contact ebay and amazon themselves and they reimburse you and they deal with the seller themselves
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 22:54:00
stat was on 30 so i could turn it down, tried it on its own ans nothing. :( its dead dead :(:(:(
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 01/02/2012 : 22:38:40
just double check the thermostat because if it clicks off while your digital thermometre is reading 22 or 23C then you need to turn the dial a little more so it doesn't clcik off until your thermometre is ready 27/28C

Plug it in alone, and leave it by itself with just the thermometre on it and check back in an hour or so for the temp, if it's not remotely hot etc, or the temp is 30C or less then its dodgy

You should tell the person you bought it from it is faulty, and regardless of it being second hand, if he is selling it as working you are entitled to a refund or replacement like for like.
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 19:18:55
i have decided its not working, its not even remotley warm, and the air temp in this room is 21, plus its in pretty poor condition i will see if the sender will let me return it, if not count it down to bad judgment and buy a new one from surrey pets
oakleyman18 Posted - 01/02/2012 : 19:01:40
12W should be more than enough to crate a warm spot...

These things are just chains of wires and elements, they have roughly the same heating constant, so a heat mat of say 20cm x 10cm, will have roughly half the wattage of a 20cm x 20cm heat matt. However they will *usually* create the same amount of heat per unit area, so the stat will be acting in nearly exactly the same way.

I would suggest that the setup has changed enough to change the temperature, or the temp sensor has moved. But a 12W heatmat will kick out the same amount of heat as any other 12W heatmat, brands are usually irrelevant!

Just double check everything twice and give it a little time to warm up Depending on placement it can take a couple of hours to become stable!
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:57:05
It could be that the mat is goosed. It is one of the problems with buying second hand electical goods. There is no way of checking if it is up to scratch without doing practical tests.
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:45:45
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Are you checking against a digital thermometer attached to the stat sensor?

yup i have two digi therms on it that range within 0.1 of each other
Georgina Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:44:19
hhhmmmmmm only a teeny bit over the mat, my other mats only take 1o mins to adjust back to temp, i have taken in out and put her normal one back and have plugged the second hand one in without the stat to see if it heats up.
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:43:16
Best to leave it longer to cycle a few times and allow it stabilize and make sure that it is holding the correct temp range.

Are you checking against a digital thermometer attached to the stat sensor?
ScalySituation Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:31:20
how much substrate is in there?
I'd say its a pretty good as once disturbed my faun can take 2 + hours to get back to what I like

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000