The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Tail Rattling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
emilyoblong Posted - 31/01/2012 : 13:44:25
Hello, just a quick wonderment, I fed my snakey two days ago (his second feed since being with me) everything went fine, but I went into his Viv today to change his water as he'd drank most of it, and he rattled his tail at me. I know this is a warning sign, but I wasn't anywhere near him! Is it just his way of confirming to leave him alone till tomorrow (which I was going to do anyway) or have i done something wrong?

P.S. Just as a little side note, when he'd finished feeding, I left him in his feeding tub for a while till he started becoming active again, then tried to pick him up to put him back in his main tank, he freaked out at me so I picked the tub up and let him slither back into his main Viv on his own. He's never usually stressy about stuff like that, is he just having a moody week?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
emilyoblong Posted - 02/02/2012 : 14:19:47
Heheee he's pretty aint he?? :D haha. I'm so proud of him haha!
Auld Baldy Posted - 01/02/2012 : 02:16:11
Looks like he came out just to blow you a raspberry.
emilyoblong Posted - 01/02/2012 : 01:38:41
He's just come out of shedding, about 3 weeks ago now. So I don't think it's that, and he's usually very good at handling which is why I found it a bit odd, as I put my hand in there all the time without picking him up and I've had him out loads as well, and he's never warned me off before. Think maybe he was just being grumpy today! I sat with the viv doors open earlier as he was having a good old climb about and he came half way out of his tank to say hello. So I think he was just being a grump! Thank you anyway :) XxxX
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 31/01/2012 : 23:10:24
They tend to rattle, as they think they are big and hard (bless them lol) and tried making the predator (you) think it's a rattle snake and dangerous.

With regular handling they do calm down, and letting your snake go in the viv by himself is best, as also one less thing to worry about that can cause regurgitation

you'll find that after regular handling and when he is big he still may hiss and rattle, and puff his body up, and sometimes "vibrate"

shouldnt worry about it
Mort13 Posted - 31/01/2012 : 18:51:27
Could he be coming into shed perhaps? They feel more vulnerable at this time which could explain his more defensive nature,and him freaking out a bit too.
ScalySituation Posted - 31/01/2012 : 17:58:17
I had a strike and a rattle on thurs when I tried to get sonny out for her dinner :P
mkmattyk Posted - 31/01/2012 : 17:35:25
you may have just crept up on him and suprised him, i shouldnt worry too much
Auld Baldy Posted - 31/01/2012 : 14:18:56
Nothing to worry about. He's just warning you away as he's still not too sure of you or wants to be alone. Carry on lifting the feeding tub up to the viv and let him make his own way home if he's getting stressed which he probably will be immediately after feeding. He will gradually settle down with short regular handling periods and realizes that you are not going to pinch his dinner.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000