The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Bad petshops

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ShaneyyWithWiz Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:12:36
Really upset me :/

Just went to see Wiz's remaining brothers and sisters and they haven't grown an inch... So this must mean their not feeding them right, is that correct? Apparently reporting them to RSPCA is no good, but its really upsetting me, knowing their being treated this way. Also there are like 20 corns in one container so most of them are trying to get under the warm hide. The icing on the cake is the Birds, ****atiel to exact, all bunched up in a small cage and they are so tatty obv. not happy birds.

I'm not saying i'm going to report them cause I may be speculating but i needed to atleast tell some other people that I know will care. what i dont understand is they have a responsibility by the animals to care for them and is it really that hard to care for some animals? After all they even get paid for it.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 29/01/2012 : 19:17:43
Easiest thing to do is maybe bring your worries to their attention rather to report them first off and if your still not happy, council since they issue petshop licenses.

The birds could be tatty for many normal reasons.
Georgina Posted - 29/01/2012 : 00:28:59
I amnot condoning bad care, but we have to be careful we do not give rep shops a ad name for what can be seen as poor practice when they are just following common practice. As per a previous thread
. I think maybe we should praise the good rep shop instead of shun the ones we feel are bad.

:) :)
CentricMalteser85 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 00:00:04
quote:
Originally posted by ShaneyyWithWiz

Really upset me :/
Apparently reporting them to RSPCA is no good,

Where did you get the information saying apperently reporting them is no good?

Other members are right in the sense they are fed bare minimum to keep them alive and healthy which doesn't leave much room for growth.

However, when I reported a pet shop 10 miles from me, for the housing conditions of the corn snakes to the RSPCA I told them it needs to be looked into etc, and they sent an officer out and gave them basically a warning to tell them to change it by such and such a date or further action be taken.

Later on during the same week, the petshop changed the setups.

So it just depends on how much information you give to the RSPCA and how persistent you are. I gave information right down to the temperatures, (I got this information, just by looking at the thermometre that was visible), also asked to have a look at couple of snakes, and their shedding history, unknown to them I was fishing for info.

RSPCA came out dealt with it, and pet shop changed its ways.

So the housing may be looked into
WannaCornSnakeTeen Posted - 28/01/2012 : 22:09:17
so sorry to hear that i hate it when i hear about loads of animals being cramed in a cage, hope its sorted out soon
Spreebok Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:40:44
quote:
my shop near me (Tiny Boas) is really good every snake has it's own viv/faun or shares with one other snake.Plus the people are really kind and friendly. so it's a shame to hear about bad shops.

Out of curiosity, is this Tiny Boas in Exeter?
ShaneyyWithWiz Posted - 28/01/2012 : 19:56:54
quote:
Originally posted by reptillian23

my shop near me (Tiny Boas) is really good every snake has it's own viv/faun or shares with one other snake.Plus the people are really kind and friendly. so it's a shame to hear about bad shops.

And its nice to be reminded that not everyone who sells pets are cruel
Vince_the_snake Posted - 28/01/2012 : 19:01:22
ShaneyyWithWiz Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:45:12
I'm going to use another pet shop when they move next month, cause they will be closer. Those guys LOVE their job and are good at what they do. They are moving into a HUGE shop soon so more anacondas and monkeys will be available for me to look at :). But if they can be successful and good at keeping why can't more people? Just infuriates me is all :/
ScalySituation Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:35:57
If anyone is ever visiting trow i reccomend my local, prices aren't great but the quality of the keeping is :)
Spreebok Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:30:55
Just makes me so glad for my local. Devoted reptile people, who love their job and take tip top care of their stock.
ScalySituation Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:24:25
The shop near me is getting better and better with the exotics, went in there today for some cat stuff and fuzzies and they have loadsa tarantulas that look rlly healthy and even little cards on the outside of the stack with info on the species that are in there (currently, two corns a scorpion, leopard gecko and about 20 tarantulas of a few different breeds)
Vince_the_snake Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:24:25
that's terrible, but I guess they're reptile sellers not reptile keepers
ScalySituation Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:19:08
Thats horrible to hear about :(
SexyBear77 Posted - 28/01/2012 : 18:18:31
Its not necessarily that they aren't feeding them right, possibly more that they have them on maintenance diets- petshops often feed snakes very differently to how private owners like us feed snakes. They may be feeding the minimum required in order to keep the snake healthy and alive, which isn't leaving much left for growth. At the end of the day, shops have to make profit, and they aren't going to make it by feeding 20 babies a pinkie every 5 days (100 pinkies a week) until they sell.

I'm not saying I condone it, it's just not.... wrong. After all, a lot of private keepers are guilty of over feeding and power feeding, which is just as bad, if not worse!!

Same reasons for the overcrowding in the enclosure really- shops just don't have the space to provide individual setups for babies, most of the time. That then, of course, leads to the question "should they have that many in if they can't house them properly?"...... but, as said, shops have to make profit.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000