The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Sammys second feed?! Advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyCherish Posted - 19/01/2012 : 21:40:04
This could be a long story...Ok so Sammy has just had her second feed off me, her first went ok, took her about 20 mins to actually get the pinky fully in her mouth and i left her for a bit longer into her feeding box before i put her back into her viv, now tonight i done everything as i had done previously, she was in her feeding box and i gave her the pinky using the prongs and she had completely ate it within five minutes and was quickly digesting it, like it was half way down her body within 7 mins! is this normal? should i give her bigger mice? she is only 3-4months old (from what i have been told) i thought she would be on pinkys for a bit longer? she is about a foot and a half long and i havent got scales to weigh her just yet. Could i give her two pinkys at her next feed, which would be in five days as this one was? Any advice is welcome...just be nice lol xxx
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LucyCherish Posted - 23/01/2012 : 15:33:33
well im gunna try her anyway with it being her first shed with me, just see how she goes xx
marc_sg Posted - 22/01/2012 : 22:10:45
just to prewarn you. she most likely wont eat till shes shed. however some do. i would personally offer her one if she taked it then its up to you about the srcond. i just leave them till theyve shed.
LucyCherish Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:33:42
Thank you all for the advice and to be honest i am just focusing on making sure she is happy and well looked after, Smart Bunny...yeah i re-read what i wrote an thought god lucy u sound so thick haha! i was trying to say that she got that one down a lot quicker than the previous one lol! hmmm i should probably think before i write in future at risk of sounding like a complete tool lol! Yeh i also thought it could of been that she was more secure and had more time in the warmth of her heat mat as before i got her she had no heat at all, I am going to try her with 2pinkys next time i feed her even though she went 'into blue' yesterday, her feeding day will be Tuesday ...so prepare for a dumb sounding post from me around then haha! Thanks again xx
smart bunny Posted - 20/01/2012 : 11:56:06
Hiya, congrats on saving a corn from a previous bad owner!

Can I just say something - I don't want to sound like I'm taking the mick or anything as I'm not, it's just that your post says 'she had completely ate it within five minutes and was quickly digesting it, like it was half way down her body within 7 mins! is this normal?' The thing is - you do realise the snake's stomach is about half way down, don't you? All she was doing is squeezing it down her neck towards her stomach which is perfectly normal, where it then has to stay to be digested.

Corno has always been a fab feeder luckily, goes for the pinky within a minute or 2 then another couple of minutes to squeeze it down to her tum and she's wandering off again! There should be a reasonable sized bump when it's got there though. I am also a beginner here and was starting to worry that 1 pinky wasn't leaving a big enough bump so tried Corno on 2 small pinkys this week - she seemed most pleased lol!

I would say that it sounds like maybe Sammy was a bit more hesitant the first time you fed her as she was a bit nervous, then second time she was feeling a bit more secure so didn't hesitate!
marc_sg Posted - 20/01/2012 : 11:26:05
my cb11 april, ghost is 32.6 inches and 158g and that last week. shes just growing so quick just shows the all grow different. my male stripe cb11 june is 14 inches and 63 g
so 2 months difference and twice the length
ScalySituation Posted - 20/01/2012 : 11:06:57
Sonny's 7mnts and roughly 45 cms and very thin, all snakes grow at different rates
Georgina Posted - 20/01/2012 : 00:28:48
Defo all different, lightning is 33grams and love his food, midnight is 56grams and could take it or leave it with food. They are both a year old from the same clutch.
Spreebok Posted - 19/01/2012 : 23:18:47
Before you go on a rampage, consider that she may have been a slow starter or a problem feeder, or even just a slow grower.
My yearling carolina (93grams) is half the size of my yearling Snow (212grams) because he's just a slow grower.
My 6 month old Butter has a kink in his neck, so he was a slow starter and weighs 7grams, he's pretty much hatch size. My 6 Month old Fire (hatched a few days before the butter) is 33grams, and has fed like a pig.
There's no neglect going on at all with my corns, they just all grow at very different rates. You can't really guess a corns age to be honest, you can only take a wild stab. I wouldn't bother chasing the guy up, even if he did treat her poorly, just focus on keeping her happy now you have her :)
LucyCherish Posted - 19/01/2012 : 22:25:49
yeh thats what i was thinking, i have also just spoken my partners friend who has kept snakes forever ...really cant remember how long hes kept them for, but he said the snake is older than what the person who sold me her said, he believes sammy is around a year old because of her length and how thin she is, basically she can pass for being that young which is disgusting so im gunna hunt the guy who sold her to me down an find out the truth! But she will be having two pinkys in five days time! poor girl must be starved, i knew the guy we got her off hadnt gave her any form of heating for 3 months but also said she was only 3 months-ish old which i found hard to believe which is why im getting so much advice, an no wonder she constantly stayed on the warm side in her hide! Sorry for ranting haha really appreciate your advice just shocked at what i have been told, do you think a reptile vet could get an idea of how old she actually is? or will it just be a case of keep feeding her and see how quick she grows? x
Katie.Dublin Posted - 19/01/2012 : 22:05:45
The rule of thumb is when the current prey size no longer leaves a rather noticeable lump in their belly when fully swallowed, move up a size. So your next move would be two pinkys if you were gonna increase:)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000