The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Overweight youngsters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 09:12:12
I have been told that a cornsnake can not get over weight as a youngster because they will just keep growing and shedding more often. The problem arises when the snake gets older and the metabolism slows. Apparently this is when the snake starts to become overweight if fed to much to often.
Is this true?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thistle Posted - 23/12/2011 : 23:51:41
My 18mth old amel is on the podgy side, definitely looking far more round than loaf shape. He's 3'3" and 255g.

I've already cut him down from weekly feeds to every 10 days for the last few months, but that doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. He still managed to put on 10g between his last 2 feeds. I'm going to try fortnightly feeding and see how he goes with that.
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:02:42
Young snakes can get over weight, but you have to seriously stuff some food into them before that will happen, we're talking those morons who feed every 2 days kinda thing.

Most reptiles have fat storage in their tail area????? You absolutely sure about that are you Coxy?? Sorry but it seems you may have read about leopard geckos and stopped there.

the opposite is more accurate, most reptiles do not store fat in their tails. Snakes tend to store fat all over their body, when it gets to point they are seriously over weight, they get hips, although i am not sure if the hips are just a 'hard to get rid of' fat storage that shows as they lose a bit of weight.
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:58:13
Most reptiles have fat storage in their rear area for when times are bad . But they do not have to use this in captivity therefore watching the diet is imperative to health.
hillzi Posted - 23/12/2011 : 17:54:47
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

At a certain point yes, but they mainly use food for growing long rather than outward at that stage, no?

Yeah but they'd still get podgy. Edit;/ in most overweight 'youngsters' the fat is stored and builds up in and near their tail.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/12/2011 : 16:42:35
At a certain point yes, but they mainly use food for growing long rather than outward at that stage, no?
hillzi Posted - 23/12/2011 : 16:38:10
Well pretty sure if a young snake was powerfed it'd get overweight..
Spreebok Posted - 23/12/2011 : 15:26:52
I always thought this too, and certainly hope this as Lister is starting to get a wee bit of podge to him xD
Sta~ple Posted - 23/12/2011 : 14:55:17
That's exactly what I thought since people power feed young snakes to make them longer/breeding size/weight specially in the US it seems. Saying that though, my yearlings look like they may have daddies lard ****.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000