The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 The 3 rule???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 22/12/2011 : 10:01:46
If for breeding the guide is 3ft long, 3 years old and weighing 300g does mean that the average weight for a 3 year old should be around 300g?

I have a 16 month old that is already over 3 ft long and weighs 298g!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 24/12/2011 : 10:16:57
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

You can try and sex corns, or any snake for that matter by size, but you might have more luck winning the lottery.

(when i say might, i mean you actually do have more chance of winning the lottery)

Actually Mike thats not strictly true. You have a 1 in 2 chance of getting the correct sex of snake using size but a 1 in 57 chance of winning at least a tenner in the lottery.

Saying that, I don't do either lol
LarkaDawg Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:34:37
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

This is my 2 pennies worth and is just my opinion. The rule of 3 is a very strong recommendation as a female that is 2 small could have serious complications from breeding. They can be bred at younger than 3 years if they meet the required weight, however I think having a 3yr old minimum recommendation helps to prevent power feeding females in order to bring them up to weight as quickly as possible. A steady growth rate and a healthy snake is much more important than breeding at the earliest possible time.
Also, If my memory serves me correctly, there is not usually much of a size difference between male and female corns which is why it is impossible to sex a corn on size. For me, a 5yr old corn that is only 2/3 ft has either been underfed, has feeding issues or some other health concerns. I may be very wrong as I know snakes grow at different rates but it is something that would make me reconsider purchasing.

I agree on the snake having eating issues, I couldn't believe it when they showed me!
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:13:57
There is nothing at all to say that she is over weight, 3ft and 300g is fine, its length to weight rather than age to weight.
If the snake was 18 inches and 300g, then yes, i would agree, but not at 3ft.
The rule of 3 is there as a very very basic rule that everyone will understand, not everyone follows it, but then everyones snakes are different, i would happily breed a healthy 18 months female, and i know exactly what to do if something goes wrong, which not everyone does.
I personally dont always agree with the rule of 3, ie the 3 3's, i think 2 3's are adequate, a 3ft 300g female is big enough, whether she is old enough is kinda irrelevant, most snakes become fertile at a size rather than an age.
'Most' of the time, females dont tend to reach 300g or 3ft within 3 years anyway, or if they do its the wrong end of the breeding season and by the time the season starts, they are as near to 3 years old as they need to be.
Males and females usually become sexually mature and active around 18 months, a young males sperm count is not going to be as great as say a 4ft 500g male, but better than a 4ft 800g male.
A snakes weight plays a huge part in their fertility, a massively overweight male will not be as fertile, its a general health thing, same with females, massively overweight females dont tend to be as good as healthy weight, that does not mean though that they cannot conceive, they can, and their extra insulation causes problems with the production of the eggs and the eggs travel within her system, hence why over weight females dont tend to survive egg laying without problems.

You can try and sex corns, or any snake for that matter by size, but you might have more luck winning the lottery.

(when i say might, i mean you actually do have more chance of winning the lottery)
kdlang Posted - 22/12/2011 : 20:14:53
This is my 2 pennies worth and is just my opinion. The rule of 3 is a very strong recommendation as a female that is 2 small could have serious complications from breeding. They can be bred at younger than 3 years if they meet the required weight, however I think having a 3yr old minimum recommendation helps to prevent power feeding females in order to bring them up to weight as quickly as possible. A steady growth rate and a healthy snake is much more important than breeding at the earliest possible time.
Also, If my memory serves me correctly, there is not usually much of a size difference between male and female corns which is why it is impossible to sex a corn on size. For me, a 5yr old corn that is only 2/3 ft has either been underfed, has feeding issues or some other health concerns. I may be very wrong as I know snakes grow at different rates but it is something that would make me reconsider purchasing.
mkmattyk Posted - 22/12/2011 : 16:29:45
yeah i think the 300g 3ft is just a guide to prevent the female from becoming ill, i have a 3yr old snake but i havent weighed her for ages
LarkaDawg Posted - 22/12/2011 : 15:48:14
I've heard that males can reproduce at a year old, but their sperm count is not so good lol.
I'm not sure that 3yr old females should be 300g, I think it's the minimum? My girlie is 2 and a half yrs, 4 foot long and around 500g. She isn't overweight, but is a little chunky (I'm working on it!).

Males are meant to be smaller.. someone in my local rep shop showed me a male that was two/three foot and aparently 5yrs!
mkmattyk Posted - 22/12/2011 : 10:14:25
your snake sounds over weight, but they only say those specs because if the female is under these, she can become seriously ill while gravid and while laying the eggs, and is your snake a female or male??? cause from what i can tell (and tell me if im wrong) but can males reproduce slightly earlier than females???

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000