The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Ok to correct someone?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/12/2011 : 20:58:13
My son and i were taken to college by someone from his school to look at a certain course, on the way i was on about all our pets, (she is terrified of every animal) she started going on about 'poisonous' snakes, (very nicely) said there was no such thing as a poisonous snake, before i could say anything she went on bout all the deadly 'poisonous' snakes. Told her they were venemous, she got snippy, saying they are the same thing. I shut up. when we got to the college the guy we had to see said they had small animals and a reptile room, went to see the rabbits, birds first. A rabbit in its pen, as they do, kicked back legs and ran a bit, she screamed and jumped back, couldnt help myself. burst out laughing.
So anyway was i right to correct her, or if someone says 'poisonous' snakes again just shut up?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
manda88 Posted - 20/12/2011 : 14:50:20
I correct EVERYONE when they say a snake is poisonous haha, I think a lot of people must now hate me for making them look stupid And then when they said 'yeah but what's the difference' it's a case of a nice simple answer - poison is ingested, venom is injected
Whoever said they think there are 3 species of poisonous snake, you're right, garter snakes being one of them, I want to say that another is some sort of thai rat snake but don't quote me on that, and I can't remember the other one
scottishbluebird Posted - 18/12/2011 : 17:45:04
^ ^ lol, when did you do that?
Mamma Posted - 18/12/2011 : 13:12:04
I would have just pulled a mooney at her. True story.
eeji Posted - 14/12/2011 : 19:08:57
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

been doing some research and (here goes)

VENOMOUS- adjective- Secreting and transmitting venom

and POISONOUS- adjective- Capable of harming or killing by or as if by poison; toxic SUBSTANCE!!
so by description venomous is correct, Poisonous is describing the venom NOT the snake

^^^ this

chop the head off a rattlesnake and you've got yourself a meal so definitely not poisonous :)
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/12/2011 : 17:09:38
quote:
Originally posted by Emmy1

I always correct people, as things are only poisonous if digested.
Could you imagine if a Chef on telly announced that a mushroom was venomous?

lol, never thought of that!
mkmattyk Posted - 14/12/2011 : 10:32:44
been doing some research and (here goes)

VENOMOUS- adjective- Secreting and transmitting venom

and POISONOUS- adjective- Capable of harming or killing by or as if by poison; toxic SUBSTANCE!!
so by description venomous is correct, Poisonous is describing the venom NOT the snake
Casta Posted - 14/12/2011 : 09:59:16
hmmm i know theres some toads that do that when they're about to die... quite possibly.
jaseargonaut12 Posted - 14/12/2011 : 07:12:22
I could be wrong here but i'm sure there is actually 3 species of snake that are actually poisonous, but it its something to do with they die the venom sacs off load in to the blood stream
Emmy1 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 23:06:19
I always correct people, as things are only poisonous if digested.
Could you imagine if a Chef on telly announced that a mushroom was venomous?
Mort13 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 22:03:17
You were right. I went an exotic pet shop that has has exotic furries and DWA upstairs with my boyfriend. My boyfriend mentioned the poisonous snakes and I told him they were venemous,he's not a rep lover and took it on board.
Couple of young lads came up as we were about to leave and one was talking real loud in a know it all way telling his mate the snakes were poisonous. Bloke that worked there put him right straight away,just had to laugh to myself!
Simmy_82 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 21:12:56
You're right to correct them. It'll help them to understand more about them. And help them to get their facts right in future.
hannah2016 Posted - 13/12/2011 : 21:04:27
Lol, I wouldnt have given up a 'all snakes are poisonous' fight, but I guess the whole rabbit/ screaming thing would have been great revenge too :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000