The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Making of my cornsnake vivs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:08:40
Hi everyone!

Since Iīve posted pics of my snakes now, itīs time to show you some of their "homes" as well. I must say I hate minimums, I always go as big as I can and each viv is a project for several months.

Iīll show you my first Forex viv first, measures are roughly (calculated from cm into feet) 5 feet length x 2.2 depth x 3.3 heigth.
Forex is a light weight plastic, that isolates very well, is waterproof and easy to desinfect. (Though expensive). For all of the big vivs I use Forex, cause I live on the 5th floor and need to be able to carry them.

First I covered the inside walls with polystyrol and then used silicone to glue on the polystyrol and created a rock shape with many platforms.

It is soo much fun to just be creative and design such a wall.

After all the parts were glued on I smoothed the edges and put on the first layer of tileglue. I use a special one containing epoxyde resines, which makes the walls 100% waterproof and easy to just wipe off all the dirt with a wet cloth.

After 2 layers, I put on some toy paint, in the pic the paint is still wet, looks a little weird ;-)

I used some lighter beige tone for the last layer.

After that, the best part can begin, adding branches, roots, stones, plants and hides

This took me about 3 months, my two big males live in this viv.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:39:47
Thank you! :-D

Well, I need to finish all of my vivs first, but actually had some inquiries already, a friend of mine owns a pet shop and we thought about collaborating in some projects, so Iīll see where it goes...
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:34:07
They are seriously impressive, you could make a lot of money selling them if you dont already!!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 29/11/2011 : 20:42:54
Well done, very creative
Katie.Dublin Posted - 29/11/2011 : 19:11:36
Absolutely awesome!! Best vivs i'v seen, home made or otherwise. I'd nearly live in one of them myself lol. Mine seem so boring in comparison!
Midge Posted - 29/11/2011 : 18:50:29
Wow you are very creative they look fantastic
I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:56:06
Thank you guys so much, am really proud of them too, and if it was just for the tons of work ;-)
But I think I better get me some good alarm system :-P

Amanda, yes, I posted some pics in the facebook group some days ago :-)

After a long day of work I can present the next pic, am just done with the first layer of tileglue, now itīs easier to see all the platforms.

Mort13 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:44:55
Fantastic reations you've designed there! Have I seen some of these on facebook?
Hissyfit Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:25:52
Wow, those vivs look amazing! Wish I was as creative as that
adamasrc Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:24:15
these are amazing! must say.. i think you've reached the point of no-return ;)
Vince_the_snake Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:17:02
Wow! That's quite the vivarium, you better watch out tonight I might steal one or two!
marc_sg Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:14:53
Them vivs look fantastic you made wanna do some redisigning
hannah2016 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 16:45:30
wow, i wouldnt mind taking one or all of those if you ever end up with a space problem. heck, ill even take the snakes off your hands too :P
I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 14:06:05
Fayette, breeders of Morelia and BRBīs over here actually often use that material for vivs, exactly for that reason, you just never need to worry about water damaging anything and it keeps the humidty very well.

I use Terra Basis by JBL, itīs some earthy ground, perfect to use with real plants and for digging.
Emmy1 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 12:45:42
These are incredible!
Sta~ple Posted - 29/11/2011 : 12:02:29
Forex sounds like a great way to house Rainbow boas and other high humidity requiring beaties. Looks like a nice viv for climbing stuff though.

Also what substrate are you using for the corns? I've never seen it before.
ScalySituation Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:59:10
WOW!! they are fantastic!! might steal that idea :P
hugorune Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:54:04
Thats great work, you are really creative.
I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:48:17
Haha, Janice, first need to build 5 more vivs, but afterwards, sure, will you come pick it up then? :-D :-D

Just another 2 pics of my rack now, thereīs a heating cable fixed to the back wall.

I-love-my-snakes Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:44:57
NOW, finally my new project. I got another 3 Forex vivs bodies, which means they are empty and I will add air vents and the insides myself.
Measures are the same as of first Forex viv, just changed the front parts a bit.

Yesterday I finished the ground structures, will smoothen the edges today and start with first coat of tileglue.

Here are the first pics, will be continued :-D

This will become the home of my 4 2010 boys for about a year, will seperate them into groups of 2 later then, depending on their growth.

Casta Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:38:53
you wanna make me one??? you've got plenty of time. my two girls are 37cm long at the moment

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000