The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Bugs in substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 23/11/2011 : 16:26:54
I thought that maybe they were mites as I had seen them in the water dishes but after inspecting the snakes found none on them and none of the snakes are soaking in water bowls or off their food. Any way everything has been scrubbed and cleaned and any thing that cpould not be cleaned put out side. I thought I would check the bale of auboise that I was using that was stored in a large cupboard in our home. Eeeeehhhh bugs!!! Now I'm guessing from what I have read that they are probably springtails. I have to say it has put me off using this substrate now. All are on kitchen towel so I can keep a close eye out for further bugs. Are you more likely to get springtails or actual snake mites if using a substrate like auboise or aspen or is this just bad luck? I always keep the snakes spotlessly clean so I know its not being caused through dirty conditions.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 24/11/2011 : 09:45:05
Mine were hard to pick up as so tiny and no container I can find to keep them in otherwise I would post you some bob, I could never find adults in mine which was strange.
lotabob Posted - 23/11/2011 : 23:07:10
Ah you should round them up and sell them they are actually sold for keeping damp terrariums/vivariums clean. I'm planning on buying a culture of springtails when my crestie moves into his new vivarium next week. They aren't bad they are good, keeping your auboise all clean.

Mites are unlikely to be introduced on substrate unless its from a reptile shop been kept in close proximity to an infested animal. I suppose that the good thing about them is they only hang around snakes (that's also the bad thing about them but in this case we'll look on the bright side).
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 22:24:37
I find when I buy mine theres a few tiny holes in the bag, so maybe this is how they get in? I've seen some spring tails gather at the top of the plastic bag. I do know what you mean though, I don't like them their either and even storing it in tubs only helped a little bit
Red123 Posted - 23/11/2011 : 20:41:25
The auboise came from an Equastrian place so, like you, no reptiles at all. It was quite a new bale though only had about 10 inches out of it. I really can't get my head around having them co-habit with the snakes though, simply because I know they are not ment to be there. Never had any probelms with springtails when I used beech chips.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/11/2011 : 17:55:47
Glad to know they aren't just hopping in my auboise haha thought I was going crazy since no-one else on here had the problem with auboise. What ever natural substrate you use though and store in large quantities, your may get springtails or other wood bugs hop in their as we used to have massive bales of sawdust for our bunnies and they used to go in their too from what my parents told me. I know quite often orchid bark has springtails too, like it's more common for bark than aspen.

Although my auboise may get springtails, I only ever see them when I get to the bottom of the bag or tub of auboise. Every time I get near finishing a bale or box it's like there's loads but theres none any other time. Now if I see any, I just make sure I change the water daily for like a week when I notice them and then I have none as all the adults probably died out and I was tipping the babies and eggs that where in the water dish down the drain. Plus because of where I get my auboise from there being no reptiles kept in the store, nor none nearby at all, I know that I will never get snake mites from it. However, if I buy aspen from reptile shop I know there is always a slight chance there maybe some in their.

I know they are harmless but it still creeps me out but I am frugal XD
hillzi Posted - 23/11/2011 : 16:56:31
Also this.. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18297&SearchTerms=Springtails
Simmy_82 Posted - 23/11/2011 : 16:48:16
Someone else not long ago had a problem with bugs in their Auboise. Cant remember who it was tho.

EDIT: Ah it was Stapey here's the link.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20112&SearchTerms=Auboise

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000