The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smoochypoos Posted - 25/10/2011 : 18:33:34
Hi ev1, could really do with some advice. Tallula Belle is 18 months old i've had her about 6 wks. She's really skitty when i go to get her out of the viv don't think she's been handled much by her previous owners.I get her out everyday for about 10 mins and just handle her in my hands and let her move around on the sofa but while still holding her as i'm scared she'll make a run for it. She as now bitten me twice, once while trying to get her out of the viv and today while she was out she just turned around and bit my arm. Didn't make any sudden movements or anything she just turned round and bit me.I am new to snakes she is my first and just wanted to make sure i'm doing everything right, am i handling her enough? handling her properly? is there anything i can do to put her more at ease. I don't handle her when she's blue and wait 2 days after feeding to handle her. Any help and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance xx
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smoochypoos Posted - 17/11/2011 : 16:33:32
Hi ev1,sorry for the late reply but my lappy as been broken. So Tallula Belle is doing really well and hasn't bitten me since the last episode I took your advice and put a worn vest in with her and it seems to have worked. She seems a lot calmer now. I will upload some pics so u can see my beautiful girl x
Aegis Posted - 26/10/2011 : 21:28:26
If the poor wee thing wasnt used to handling just persist with what your doing! Whats your temps like aswell? Iv been nipped a few times but didnt worry me (feeding response, scared response whilst in shed) Snakes calm down with regular handling, getting used to your scent :o) Keep going! The rewards of a calm snake are worth the few minor nibbles and gum attacks :oD
Kez Posted - 26/10/2011 : 10:39:36
Keep up the good work, she'll soon learn she can trust you and not to bite the hand that feeds her lol
Mamma Posted - 26/10/2011 : 09:47:44
A little trick that may well help... I rehomed a 5 yr old male who was very like this. I tied a bit of material around my wrist and wore it for 24/48 hrs then popped it in his viv. This made him slowly become used to my scent and now I am able to handle him fine etc without any aggression at all. xxx
LittlestarRed Posted - 25/10/2011 : 22:26:06
It sounds like you're doing everything right! She just needs to learn about being handled and to trust you! I'm going through this with our 2 new additions at the mo (1 royal python and 1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa). They aren't used to being handled and are very nervous they haven't bitten me yet but they're a bit twitchy, they'll soon learn that I'm not gonna hurt them!

Keep going and don't give up! Good luck!
shaunb Posted - 25/10/2011 : 22:05:15
same as what everyone else is saying just stick with it and maybe keep her out a little bit longer every time she will get used to you and being handled good luck with it all
Spreebok Posted - 25/10/2011 : 19:24:53
Keep at it, sounds like you're doing it all right! If she hadn't been handled much by her previous owners, she will be a bit scared and stressed.
mkmattyk Posted - 25/10/2011 : 18:57:15
unless theres anything wrong with the setup youve got, what your temps like and what have you got him in maybe that could be stressing him/her out a little
mkmattyk Posted - 25/10/2011 : 18:54:33
by the sounds of it you are doing everything right, i had a corn simular (touch wood never been biten)tho, i just persisted and hes now ok with me, he curls up in my pockets and sometimes just rest on my neck while i make a cuppa

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000