The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Springs tails

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 19/10/2011 : 22:21:09
I hate them. Just thought you should know. Getting in my aubiose without my permission in fully sealed tubs grrrrrr
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 28/10/2011 : 18:21:22
Just as an update, Didn't find out what they were, need a very very good zoomy camera or a microscope. However, after changing the water every day instead of every 2 or 3 like normal, or for other reasons, they have disappeared O.o;
LittlestarRed Posted - 22/10/2011 : 17:48:35
I get springtails in my Chameleons (Reptibark/orchid bark) substrate, they are good little bugs but I still don't like them being there! LOL
garrie Posted - 21/10/2011 : 09:13:50
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

quote:
Originally posted by garrie

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=springtails

how very clever is this link

I'm technical support at work...internal support requests often get links like this :D - the sales team will learn not to bother me when Google has the answer!!
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 21:13:14
Lol I unno how he got in the box! Were very spidery around here so XD
Mort13 Posted - 20/10/2011 : 20:57:18
Ah right. Sounds really silly but its the thought of that dead spider that freaked me out lol.
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 20:34:23
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

I've been thinking of trying auboise,but I'm put off after reading this! I don't mind bugs as you know,but I like bugs to be where they should and certainly not with my snakes.

It could be my garage though I guess or the place I buy it from, other people have had no problems and it has only happend with his bale about 7 months after opening and using.
tordyjo Posted - 20/10/2011 : 19:33:44
quote:
Originally posted by garrie

how very clever is this link
Mort13 Posted - 20/10/2011 : 19:30:48
I've been thinking of trying auboise,but I'm put off after reading this! I don't mind bugs as you know,but I like bugs to be where they should and certainly not with my snakes.
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 19:00:29
I did actually find a dead small spider in an empty auboise box lol! I have put them up for I.D, they could be baby common type of spring tails but they are so so round and I have searched everywhere for the longer ones and haven't seen any. Will be instresting to know, I guess small white bugs hatching in/near water could be any type of bug in nymph stage. I may ahve to try and find an alternative bedding.
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/10/2011 : 17:35:45
As you say there are umpteen different types and all shapes and sizes.
Chuck a couple of spiders into the bale. Always best to use natural bio-weapons.
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 16:24:53
None of them are long like that sized, and it seems not all the different species of springtails spring if that makes sense, these are round in shape. They could be babies like you said but I have never seen long ones, I've seen a few bigger rounder ones but that is it, but there are hundreds of different types of spring tails in every colour and size imaginable lol. These steps you said I have already done before hand, this is not the first time I have had them. To see if it was some kind of substrate eating bug, I isolated the substrate in a takeway box with a dish of water in a warm area with lots of light (they love the light for some reason) and there were loads of them. I've seen some ion the plastic boxes today that used to have the substrate in but now does not, not many though. Apparently they like to get inside the house to upon googling further so no matter where I store it, it's going to attract them. I think I will monitor the snakes set-ups for a few days and see if they all dye out, it's no where near damp enough in my house of in the vivs for them to breed! It's just weird how apparently springtails like the light yet, like to nest in a dark garage. I will have the snakes vivs lights on tonight and see if I spot any. Just annoying as this will be like a bale and a half of auboise I have had to chuck because of this.
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/10/2011 : 15:41:44
Staple, they are not dying in the water dish, they are breeding. What you see is egg 'rafts' on the surface and the nymph stages in the water. They will normally just crawl about in the litter doing their thing. The 'spring' is an escape tactic when avoiding predators.

I posted a query and pics in this forum link:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18297
Not the best macro-photo but good enough for identifying them.

The only way I got rid of them from the viv was a total strip down, disinfect everything, ditch cardboard tubes and actually hoover out the inside of the viv to remove any lurkers. The problem you have is that as your bale is infested so you would need to find some way of clearing it or ditch and replace. Freezing will probably be a waste of time as they will treat it as winter and just hibernate.

If you store in the garden shed and the storage tubs are anything less than hermetically sealed you are going to have a right battle to fend them off.
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 14:53:57
I might actually get these bugs I.D some how... I'm sure there will be a gardening bug nut on some forum somewhere lol see if they are actually spring tails or just another wood eating bug as these things aren't hoping unless they are lazy spring tails. If only I had a good camera I'd take pictures :( Just so weird how the adult vivs haven't got any yet but the baby corns have a few and the kings is swarming, and he hasn't knocked over his water or anything for a change!
garrie Posted - 20/10/2011 : 10:02:55
tk72 Posted - 20/10/2011 : 09:39:04
Hello just wondering what spring tails are?
Sta~ple Posted - 20/10/2011 : 08:51:21
Don't do any harm to the snake, drive me insane! I hate bugs, I hate to think they are all crawling about and dying in my babies water bowls, also makes me feel very itchy. There good if you have a damp substrate, but mine is not damp and has never been damp! They are also now all on the glass grrrrr, I cleaned that spot less.
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/10/2011 : 01:11:32
I've had them once. They didn't do the snake any harm and from what I've read, they are supposed to be 'good' for the environment in the substrate.
scottishbluebird Posted - 20/10/2011 : 01:11:09
They dont do any harm though? but cant say id want them around even if i am right lol
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/10/2011 : 00:22:33
I've never had springers in any of my Aubiose, dunno if I'm lucky or not yet.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000