The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Vivexotic VX36 stack?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 14/10/2011 : 19:07:46
Does anyone have a VX36 stack? The reason I'm asking is we have one (with divider) and next year plan to put the hatchling into it, with another the same on top for Voldemort. I've just had an email from Vivexotic saying it would be best to stack the LX range, as the VX are too heavy to go on top of each other and hold the weight of the other viv! It feels sturdy enough to me, so just wondering if that's right?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/10/2011 : 01:26:39
Thanks Hissy. It's not bad for a prototype hand made job without a decent workbench. I used the base unit in the pic as a make-do one. I might check with my old boss to get the board sections pre-cut on a guillotine if I make another one or two. It beats a Stanley knife and jigsaw for cutting any day. BTW, both are fitted with IKEA LED strips.
Hissyfit Posted - 19/10/2011 : 20:25:07
Well you've made a good job of it, looks very professional
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/10/2011 : 17:10:50
@ Hissy. The white one is made from 10mm foamboard and uPVC window sill off-cuts. These are at the front and have the angled edges which help keep it rigid. It is all glued & screwed instead of the usual cam fixtures so is pretty strong. The overhang of the LX36 is just under 3" on either side. I had to stack it this way due to a widow sill at the side. The only option was to chuck out the settee.

@ Loopholes. Seems a bit expensive to use the IKEA unit. A couple of extra ££ and you could buy a new LX 36. Check out getting white chipboard cut to size.
Loopholes Posted - 19/10/2011 : 13:41:27
@Hissyfit I was thinking about white as well I saw this tv cabinet I was thinking about using for a base http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80141770/
Hissyfit Posted - 19/10/2011 : 11:14:21
Thanks, that gives me an idea of what I can safely get away with I really like that white viv, you don't see many that colour, looks really good
I did see your nae willpower purchase, at least it was just the one
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/10/2011 : 01:28:09
Sorry for late post of pic of my mini stack. I was sort of .. er .. tempted and fell by the wayside. Nae willpower!!

They look a bit bare at the moment but climbing logs are on order from a mate up on the Bonnie Banks.

Mort13 Posted - 18/10/2011 : 18:41:59
I have to of the VX36 vivs plus another make of the same size on top of them and theres no issues. They are on an old coffee table that I shortened the legs on and placed castors on.
Sta~ple Posted - 16/10/2011 : 15:01:22
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Sta~ple. Compare the differences in overall sizes for a cabinet mounted viv. If that doesn't bow then the 95mm difference on the depth between a VX and an LX on top is negligible. I'd be happy to stack 2x LX on top of a VX. (I would also add a steady or bracket of some sort.)

Hissy. I'll get a photo taken tomorrow and post it up. The place is a guddle and there is not enough room for a full height shot.

That's because they are made for that
Dancross0 Posted - 15/10/2011 : 23:56:06
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

That's good news then, thought I was going to have to buy another 2! Just shows how well they know their stuff

Look on the bright side; if you have space for another 2 vivs, that means more snakes......

And I've found this topic handy, I'm looking at making a 4 high LX36 stack. Eventually......
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/10/2011 : 23:16:16
Sta~ple. Compare the differences in overall sizes for a cabinet mounted viv. If that doesn't bow then the 95mm difference on the depth between a VX and an LX on top is negligible. I'd be happy to stack 2x LX on top of a VX. (I would also add a steady or bracket of some sort.)

Hissy. I'll get a photo taken tomorrow and post it up. The place is a guddle and there is not enough room for a full height shot.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/10/2011 : 21:35:27
Because the lx are narrower surely putting them on top of each other would cause bowing over time. Vivs the same size with hard backs are ideal for stacking on top of each over
Hissyfit Posted - 15/10/2011 : 19:09:11
A picture would be good, thanks

I never thought of putting the LX on top,that might be a better option
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/10/2011 : 15:40:41
You should be OK with the LX36 on top of the VX36 without the base cabinet. There is a 95mm (3.75") difference in the depth but that would give you a handy shelf.

For a belt & braces job I would fit 2 wooden straps down the backs of the stack and maybe fit a steady bracket to the wall. Just to make it totally 10 year old proof.

At the moment I have an LX36 on top of a slightly shorter 30" long hand-knitted viv and these are on top of a solid wood cabinet case. It is steady enough for me but I don't have to concern myself with anyone else doing something silly. I'll post up a picture later on if you want.

Hissyfit Posted - 15/10/2011 : 14:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

I think what they are talking about is that if the VX range is mounted on a smaller base cabinet then putting another viv on top could make it a bit top heavy or at least not as stable as 2/3 stacked LX. AFAIK the back panel for the base cabinet is only hardboard so won't be as rigid as a chip/ MDF panel. With opening doors it is expecting a lot from the cabinet sides to support. The Vivexotic legs are fine as they are mounted at the base corner footprint.

They are not trying to fleece you but recommendation from their design and product safety point of view.

Funny enough my original question to them was about a cabinet that would take 2 x VX on it, as I was looking at the CX?48, thinking it would be wider than the CX36 so that might work. But they said they didn't recommend stacking the VX at all, never mind on a cabinet and to use LX if I wanted to stack them as they were designed to be stacked, but again without the cabinet.I'm just a bit annoyed as I would have preferred the LX, but my 10 yr old insisted she wanted the VX because she wanted the matching cabinet, and like most kids there was no telling her I'll have to look into getting some Vivexotic legs for it then, at least that should work
a33272 Posted - 15/10/2011 : 09:50:43
quote:
Originally posted by Loopholes

Has any one used the Vivexotic MODx36 what are they like and have they extended them? Also can they be stacked higher? or just kept at one level?
Should I look at these or the other ones you guys are talking about?
I like the extendable idea cos i could shut off one section for the younger snakes when hatched and ready?
Need your advice people

go for normal viv the modx is eapensive the smaller modx 24 which is 3x2x2 is £84 from sps a vx36 which is 3x18"x21" is £56

the modx extensions are more than the main part an double its size, but a 6ft viv for a corn is bit big.

yeah u could do that an make it into 2 seperate vivs side by side i guess but that would of cost u £170+ u could of brought 2 vx36 for £112 so save yaself £50 guid

thats enough saving to but a new hatchling an set a rub set up :D

EDIT sorry stapey. you must of done your reply as i been doing mine. i just forgot to press the post button.xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 15/10/2011 : 09:44:26
quote:
Originally posted by Loopholes

Has any one used the Vivexotic MODx36 what are they like and have they extended them? Also can they be stacked higher? or just kept at one level?
I like the extendable idea cos i could shut off one section for the younger snakes when hatched and ready?
Need your advice people

The MODX ones are ment for the biggers snakes, like boas and pythons, like the depth on those vivs is big enough so massive snakes can turn around in them fine. The smallest MODX viv you can get is 24"x24" and that's big enough for larger size corns but its a werid size really to be used on it's own. I've seen people stack thoses vivs with other vivs on top, weather that is safe I don't know though. Hatched young snakes going in any kind of viv any size is risky really, they just better suited to small tubs. The others ones are better vivs in my opionion for corns.
a33272 Posted - 15/10/2011 : 09:39:42
as said i think the talk about vivexotic saying done stack certain vivs is when there on cabinats, i wouldnt stack anything if the back isnt equal to or bigger than the lowest one. also there cabinats arnt fitted with a top as such the sides an back fit directly to the bottom of the viv with cam fittings so stacking ontop of that will most likely cause it to bend. aslong as the bottom viv is either on the floor/has very sturdy legs/ or is on one hell of a sturdy cabinat/surface i wouldnt stack

ps vivecotic cabinats are solid backed but depending on the size it might not be a closed back
Loopholes Posted - 15/10/2011 : 08:30:55
Need your advice people
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/10/2011 : 20:57:28
I think what they are talking about is that if the VX range is mounted on a smaller base cabinet then putting another viv on top could make it a bit top heavy or at least not as stable as 2/3 stacked LX. AFAIK the back panel for the base cabinet is only hardboard so won't be as rigid as a chip/ MDF panel. With opening doors it is expecting a lot from the cabinet sides to support. The Vivexotic legs are fine as they are mounted at the base corner footprint.

They are not trying to fleece you but recommendation from their design and product safety point of view.
cattNmo Posted - 14/10/2011 : 20:11:37
It also shows that if you had not have asked on here. You would have bought two more (Prob from them) Nice money maker for them if you ask me.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000