The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 snake smell.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mohikan22 Posted - 10/10/2011 : 08:13:02
hi all, I have a question which may be stupid to some but to us "noobs" its important. Can snakes smell other snakes and what would their reactions be? Ie. i have 4 corns and a Jap Rat.. if i handle my male corn (tango) would it really effect the others if i pick them up say 5 minutes later??
many thanks.
P.S. not that it seems to of affected them so far......
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mohikan22 Posted - 11/10/2011 : 11:17:49
thanks for the insights guys n gals.
LittlestarRed Posted - 11/10/2011 : 10:05:38
Good point! I always wash then F10 gel my hands between handling my reptiles!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 10/10/2011 : 17:46:33
Glad I'm not alone regarding alcohol gel (Handsan). Always use between handling snakes.
Mort13 Posted - 10/10/2011 : 14:52:52
I've found the same with mine. I always use wash inbetween but Falcor especially will go very still and seems to concentrate on an area. Last time he did this was after I'd held Ofelia and on putting him back in the viv I saw his vent open up.....and it wasn't for a No 2!
kdlang Posted - 10/10/2011 : 12:29:43
I always use alcohol gel between handling and wipe out the feeding tubs with disinfectant in between snakes. Even so, I can tell when one gets a whiff of another while slithering over my clothes etc. They go still apart from their heads and their tongue flicks like mad
eeji Posted - 10/10/2011 : 12:14:14
dunno but you should be using an alcohol gel between handling animals anyway just to be on the safe side
LittlestarRed Posted - 10/10/2011 : 10:51:22
Not sure if it would 'affect' them exactly (I'm a newbie too), but they can certainly smell each other!
Sta~ple Posted - 10/10/2011 : 08:25:09
I think they can. My king went nuts when my female corn was in the moody for sexy time earlier this year and he always carefully smells my hand over and over again when I have handled the corns, he does the same for the feeding tub too.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000