The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 New house = angry corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elfberg Posted - 28/09/2011 : 15:43:45
I've had my corn snake Butters for a year and a half now and he has always been very calm and friendly without a hint of aggression.

I have recently moved house (ten days ago) and I thought I would leave him to get used to the new smells and positioning of his cage for a few days initially.. and then he went into moody shedding mode.. so I didn't get him out for another couple of days on top of that.

And now he has shed I made an attempt to get him out but he was acting quite aggressively towards me when I opened the cage and making some noises (hissing, rattling; I don't know as I've never heard him do either before)

I left him to it and closed the cage as didn't want to stress him out by trying to get him out while he was in that mood. But I just don't know what to do now as the combination of a new place and the fact I didn't get him out for an extended period of time seems to have made him very nervous and angry..

How do I go about reminding him that everything is ok and getting him back to his old ways? It's quite disheartening as he has never acted like that before.

Any constructive suggestions would be much appreciated!!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 28/09/2011 : 20:04:50
If when you do get him out again he hisses or rattles at you, just ignore it and lift him out as you usually would. If he knows he can get youto go away by behaving like that then he will keep doing it. I know it can be a bit nerve-racking getting them out when they are being like that but most of the time it is just bluff. Be confident and I'm sure that once he is out he will be fine again. When I moved house at Christmas, mine weren't handled for almost a month as I was so busy decorating and sorting out the move. When I came to handling them again they were quite skittish and seemed nervous of me again but they calmed down within a couple of weeks
Mamma Posted - 28/09/2011 : 16:43:05
carry something around with you for 24 hrs. Sock, hanky, something like that. Pop it in his enclosure. Let him get used to your smell again. Leave him to settle for another5-7 days or so with only going in to do water changes etc. Dont worry about him missing a feed. At a yr and a half its not gonna do him any harm. After leaving him, then try again.
Dancross0 Posted - 28/09/2011 : 16:41:12
Rub some of his substrate in your hands. The scent transfer should help.
tarotpodge Posted - 28/09/2011 : 16:15:57
Personally, I would leave him longer 2 settle In to the new home. New smells etc.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000