The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Where do I go...?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
magpie Posted - 28/09/2011 : 07:36:06
When I'm ready to get my new snake?
Do you recommend going to a shop, or would finding a local breeder be better? I know to a certain extent it's down to personal preference, but I'd like to hear peoples thoughts. And how do you go about finding someone who breeds?
Sorry, more newbie questions!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shaunb Posted - 29/09/2011 : 20:41:14
I have one i brought from a shop recently which did cost a bit and another from a breeder that cost me more,
but he is worth more to me i would have paid more than i did cos i have always wanted a blood stripe.
I would say from my experience i would always in the future go to a breeder, but other people may see different i think it all depends on what sort of morph you want, a shop might not have what your looking for and in my experience some shops tell you it is something that it is not.
ga-rat Posted - 29/09/2011 : 20:24:23
I just got Tangee from a local breeder that supplies my local reptile shops, I got a creamsicle for £25 and shops wanted between £45 and £60....

I spent an hour at the breeders house looking 6 babies and also holding the parent snakes before making my decision...

They also gave me a care sheet and told me to stay in touch and if I needed any advice just send an email.

I found the breeder on pre-loved.....
ptmbradley Posted - 29/09/2011 : 18:32:16
A quality local breeder is best I think. Snakes are cheaper than shops, they tend to know their stuff a lot more than shops and will freely give aftersales care. The only thing though is FINDING one in the first place! There are plenty around, but you'll likely only find most of them through word of mouth.

In your area you should find some good breeders quite easily. Don't know why, but reptile/snake keeping seems to be more popular 'up north' than it is 'dahn sahf'.
viraleye Posted - 29/09/2011 : 18:31:26
contact eeji. he's only based in Manchester and he's already advertised some for sale at a fantastic price :-)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 29/09/2011 : 17:56:19
All mine came from two reptile centres not pet shops there is a big difference. The guys I purchased from really knew their stuff having been in reptiles for many years and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Mort13 Posted - 29/09/2011 : 10:04:56
Check out this website: http://www.lexcorn.co.uk/

I have 2 snakes from this breeder. Her snakes are top notch,and what she doesn't know isn't worth knowing.

EDIT to add,she's based in Connahs Quay so not far from you.
magpie Posted - 29/09/2011 : 07:21:33
Thanks for the replies, it's interesting to hear different peoples experiences

I'm in Ellesmere Port on the Wirral, so if anyone has any recommendations (either a breeder or a shop that they know of), that that is within a reasonable distance (either towards Liverpool, Warrington, Chester or into N Wales), that would be fab.
Mort13 Posted - 28/09/2011 : 19:25:06
I got my first a pet shop and yes,he cost more due to that but he's worth it. My others have been from breeders,or the classifieds on here (but then only people that I know take care of their animals).
My advice would be to get one from a breeder,failing that a pet shop.
Good luck with your search.

Whereabouts do you live? Someone may be able to advise you of a good local breeder or pet shop.
LarkaDawg Posted - 28/09/2011 : 18:39:01
I would look around for ones people have bred for hobby rather than sale. eg happened to have a male and female 'pet' snake and ... lol. Or preloved, or a good reptile shop. Both of mine are from a pet shop (and the worst one near me at that) but i didnt look far enough to find a good one, and now I have, I cant get any more :(

Happy hunting!
DTW Posted - 28/09/2011 : 14:57:01
If u have a good breeder on your doorstep then maybe but most snakes found on preloved etc are either home bred or ones ppl don't have time for anymore and while there isn't anything wrong with that u can't take them back if u have any concerns and doubt they'd replace it if anything did go wrong. Just my opinion lol but sometimes getting to know ppl in the shops is useful too, the guy from ours helps me out with all mine regardless of where I bought them
Sta~ple Posted - 28/09/2011 : 12:45:30
Although my first snake came from a shop I disagree with uncomment above. Breeders can put time and care into these snakes too and are more often in an environment that is less stressful.
DTW Posted - 28/09/2011 : 11:38:37
If it's your first snake I'd probably go with a shop if u have a decent one locally, u will pay more but the after care is worth it in my opinion :)
Dancross0 Posted - 28/09/2011 : 09:13:46
Also check preloved.co.uk, there is usually some good bargains on there.
Mamma Posted - 28/09/2011 : 07:51:32
My 1st snake came from a shop. I paid a ridiculous amount for him, I probably would have been cheaper going with a breeder but I wouldnt change him for the world. I would suggest looking around for breeders in your area or keep checking the classifieds here

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000