The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 small rant

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tarotpodge Posted - 25/09/2011 : 16:39:32
After reading questions and responses on forums and websites, one thing amazes me. How little people think things through. Reptile owners, read all the info available, ask questions, read books, speak 2 experts/shops. Yet fail 2 research one basic necessity of a rep. Food source. I live no where near a rep shop/pet shop/lack of choice. Surly that should be one of the first things 2 consider, not after you have bought your snake and run out of the mice/food source you bought with the snake. Ok if shops close or on a one off run out, its understandable, but so mamy people saying I don't drive, no rep shop near me, pet shop doesn't stock frozen. its common sense. Can you access a food source.
Sorry rant over
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tarotpodge Posted - 26/09/2011 : 20:10:27
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

you could always share a delivery with other local snake owners if you don't have a house full :)

You just read my mind eeji. There are ways and means.
eeji Posted - 26/09/2011 : 19:41:18
you could always share a delivery with other local snake owners if you don't have a house full :)
Mamma Posted - 26/09/2011 : 11:56:05
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

true, i have 40. It depends on the snake though, if you have an adult then you can bulk buy, food size is unlikely to change. you can predict what you will need, so you can buy various sizes to cover what you will need.

This is true
mikerichards Posted - 26/09/2011 : 11:51:30
true, i have 40. It depends on the snake though, if you have an adult then you can bulk buy, food size is unlikely to change. you can predict what you will need, so you can buy various sizes to cover what you will need.
Mamma Posted - 26/09/2011 : 11:12:47
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

there are so many places that offer delivery now, and they are nearly always cheaper than buying from a shop.

Depends where you are I guess.. Im still to find a good supplier in scotland (some of the england ones wont deliver to up here) but I shall pic gmacs brains on that one.

Also it depends on how many snakes you have. Doing an online order for frozen foods is ok if you have more than one or 2 snakes xx
mikerichards Posted - 26/09/2011 : 11:06:30
there are so many places that offer delivery now, and they are nearly always cheaper than buying from a shop. I save myself roughly 100 quid by buying from TSM over the local shop. I never run out of food though, i breed my own!!!
tarotpodge Posted - 26/09/2011 : 08:58:28
@ bluebird. It does come up quite a bit from newbies. The "i live 2 far away" "I don't drive, cant get 2 a different shop" "my shop don't have a good supply so I buy food 2 big/small just 2 make do" in my mind these are not valid excuses for feeding your pet wrong. Should of thought of that b4 you got the snake. Do these people have no common sense. It's awfull to think a basic need is being over looked.
paulie78 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 23:21:44
For me its not financially viable only having the two snakes i would be wasting money it appears food shouldnt be kept frozen for more than say a maximum of 3 months in order to justify buying online id probably have to buy a minimum of 100 mice because by the time you add in delivery costs etc its quite pricey (unless ur buying large amounts) and theres no way i could use that amount of mice in such a short space of time
Diesel1994 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 22:56:25
Why not just buy aload online or take a run out to buy in bulk, and freeze them?
scottishbluebird Posted - 25/09/2011 : 22:23:24
I am also lucky my pet shop is 5 min away, but expensive, so when in dundee with OH or my dad who often shouts and swears about going 2 min out of the way! for a snake he cant stand, i just smile sweetly, say thank you daddy in a sickly sweet voice, that make him more angry, makes me very amused!
Have you read this alot? cuz anyone who does not think about the food what is wrong with them
bbjay Posted - 25/09/2011 : 21:54:31
I have 3 suppliers only 30mins away on bus i stock up for 2months then get more after
paulie78 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 21:39:37
Problem ive got is the only reptile shop in town closed down around the same time i got my snake and though theres a few other places they are not very reputable i bought enough food to last a few months from the reptile store i got Eddie from assuming that i would source more from the only decent store in town once id ran out unfortunately it closed down
The other issue is cost now i obviously dont begrduge spending money to buy animal food but one place in town charges £9 for ten fuzzies!! luckily now though ive managed to find local sources well i say local i dont drive it means an hour or so on the bus i dont mind though
stuart619 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 21:11:13
Surely even if the local pet shop didn't stock frozen mice, they could at least order them in for someone. But yeah it is one of the first questions people should ask themselves.
Emmy1 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 19:23:28
I know of 2 reptile shops and 2 non-reptile shops that sell frozen food and live food for lizards near me. I think people disregard normal pet shops as a source for reptile foods if they don't sell reptiles, but I believe this to be a huge misconception.

I think a lot more pet shops are seeing the benefits of stocking live food/ frozen food. I'm glad as very rarely when it snows bad, supplies cannot ship to reptile shops near me, or healthy live food runs out if I go towards the end of the week, so these non-reptile shops are stars for stocking.
grudie Posted - 25/09/2011 : 18:09:34
i dont drive and its 2 buses to our nearest shop to get peaches food with a 4 yr old but i do it,thats how i got peaches home on 2 buses lol the next one is a further bus ride and 2 buses again..or the train i suppose but i would do that also,the fact that i dont have to go their every week and can stock up a couple of months at a time it doesnt bother me and until she is on a certain size for more than 6 months i wont be doing internet shopping with the cost it doenst work out any cheaper

or i can sweet talk the mother to take me
tarotpodge Posted - 25/09/2011 : 17:57:30
I mean, I am lucky 2 have my prefured rep shop near by (5 min drive). I also have a plan A, B, C and D shop if they are shut/low on what I need. Also the amount of online suppliers now, its not difficult to find a source. But is like some people have not thought it thru, and some may possibly feed their snake unsuitable sized food as they don't have any option or panic "at least I can feed some thing". I myself toyed wiv breeding my own especially as my collection has grown. But luckily all my rep shops are generally well stocked or if pushed pah. But where I would get food from and a back up plan was a consideration b4 I got phoenix 11 yrs ago.
Mamma Posted - 25/09/2011 : 17:39:28
I have 2 rep shops near me so food source isnt a problem. Some people who dont have a food source sometimes buy mice/rats live and breed them for feeds
sharon71 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 17:26:05
Im lucky i have one 5 mins walk away in the village and Pah 10 min drive away :)
Spreebok Posted - 25/09/2011 : 17:01:34
I have 3 suppliers, all within 10 minutes of me :D (is lucky)
tordyjo Posted - 25/09/2011 : 16:50:53
I am fortunate that i live 2 miles from a rep shop that sells frozen food, however if i had to use my local PAH (and lets face it, most people have one of those nearby) it would be a 45 min bus ride, if i had to use them for food i would go prepared with an insulated lunch bag to transport the food back in.............i say this but i do drive............i can understand your point though tarotpodge

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000